UKC

Shut down by achievable grades

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ggilbs 29 Jan 2022

Recently I’ve been working on some V6 and one V7 problem.  By working I mean not quite sending, but a few of my current projects are very close to getting the tick. 

Headed out today to work on one, weather ensured that wasn’t happening so headed on a whim to another local crag. Started climbing on a few V3’s, got shut down, ran out of tape and left,  both pissed off and a little disheartened. 

Am I alone in this or does anybody else have days like this? 😕😫

DaveHK 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

That's climbing.

Cake 29 Jan 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

That's bouldering, at least. Sounds like I boulder at a similar grade to you, but I'm not surprised when I don't manage a V3. A whole day of failure is annoying, though 

nikoid 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Cake:

> A whole day of failure is annoying, though 

You get used to it....

Cake 29 Jan 2022
In reply to nikoid:

Indeed. Good conditions come again, and you do something that is too hard for you by fluke. Then all is right with the world.

Post edited at 17:23
 henwardian 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

Yup. Yesterday I on-sighted a 6c and then got completely shut down on a 6b.

The only grades that have meaning are the ones you surprised yourself by climbing,  all the other ones are horrible sandbags. Think like this and you will almost always be happy with your climbing performance

bouldery bits 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Cake:

> A whole day of failure is annoying, though 

It starts to grind a little when it's every day. 

And every aspect of your life. 

Post edited at 17:59
 C Witter 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

Sounds like:

- conditions were poor

- skin was sore/wrecked

- you were giving yourself a hard time.

So, is it any wonder you didn't climb your best?

tehmarks 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

> does anybody else have days like this? 😕😫

All the time.

afx22 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

I’m convinced grades that grades are all over the place but more commonly some boulders suit me and some just don’t, regardless of the grade (to an extent).  Some will suit you more than others too.  And we all have good and bad days.

tew 30 Jan 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

Yeap that's climbing. Couldn't get anywhere on a 5c that I was doing as a warm up...

So walked up the 6a next to it to retrieve my gear..

ChrisBrooke 30 Jan 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

Yup, that’s climbing. I have days like that all the time.
We all have strengths and weaknesses, conditions come into play (rock and skin), and also sometimes we might be under fuelled, dehydrated, or low energy due to a cold or something without realising. 
I’ve bouldered a few 7B+, quite a lot of 7B, and loads of 7A. Sometimes I can climb 7A first go, sometimes it takes a few sessions, depending on all the above. And most relevant to your point in your OP, there are 6Bs that I’m three sessions into  and still not getting anywhere on….. It’s a beautiful thing, this game of climbing. It’s nice to be humbled and reminded of one’s own terminal punterdom. For me at least, the beauty is in the struggle, not the success. 

In reply to Ggilbs:

It is weird as people have said. There's few things to think about. 

Pre-kids I used to sort climb a fair amount and I remember when I was climbing 7b-ish I still struggled on 6cs. When I was climbing 7c-ish I still struggled on 7as. I always thought it was psychological; something to do with thinking I ought to be able to get up something but struggling.

I've never had this with bouldering. My wife and I pretty much just boulder now. We have two kids so time is short and I can't imagine routing with two little ones running riot at the crag.

Anyway, bouldering-wise, I project around 7C to 8A. Below this I am usually pretty confident I can send something in a session. At project level I never assume I will be able to send things easily; I have climbed 8A in a session, I can (and I am currently continuing to) spend several seasons on the same project. Likewise, this summer I went to a new area and took two sessions to end a short powerful 7B.

I never assume I can do something, always approach things with an open mind and above all I attempt to flash every problem I try regardless. Sometimes you get lucky. Mostly you don't. Yesterday I almost flashed a 7B then took seven or eight more attempts to send it. I really enjoyed the process and learned a lot on it. 

Fishmate 04 Feb 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

For me as a climber I don't feel that I have a right to expect or that it is healthy to think that way either. I do have a self-imposed obligation to try and see what happens.

If I spend all day chipping away at a problem that I've placed value in, just doing one more move means a successful day.

As Dave Mac says, if you get up it too quickly, it's either warm-up or not worth your time.

Also as afx22 says, are you equally as good in all styles? If not then I wouldn't expect to climb all styles at one particular grade. I know guys who have done Rainbow Rocket, f8a in Bleau but suffer on a f6a slab! They still claim they are f8a climbers :0))))

I evaluate myself by my weakest style not the strongest and that removes expectation and allows, for me at least, a more open mind.

Go figure!

cb294 04 Feb 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

Time to dig up the old favourite:

https://despair.com/products/losing

RBonney 04 Feb 2022
In reply to Ggilbs:

I'm not a great boulderer but there are myriad 5+'s in Yorkshire that not only can I not get off the ground on, I literally can't envisage how they're climbable. I just don't see any holds.

Watching the Mellow guys crushing v16 is all well and good, but I what I want to see footage of is people climbing these "easy" problems and making them look as easy as the grade suggests. 

In reply to RBonney:

Such as?

RBonney 05 Feb 2022
In reply to The Connor-Crabb:

Cracked Wall and Tarn Wall at Guisecliff. Although I could get off the ground on Cracked Wall I couldn't do it but it's only a 4+. Tarn Wall is given 5+ in the guide if I remember correctly. I can get off the ground but there are absolutely no holds after that.

Softly at Crow Crag has no holds, though admittedly that is a 6A+.

WB problem 5 at Lower Huller Stones. I also fell off something that was given a font grade of 1 there. I think the description was "easy". I did slip off but I was expecting it to be a walk with jugs. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...