UKC

Mountain Equipment Vertige Ice Axe nuts/bolts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CantClimbTom 29 Jan 2022

Hi all,

After reading another thread and realising my old neglected and lonely Vertige modular axe should be shown some TLC, I dug it out.

Almost in great condition but the nut/bolt for the modular head have corroded and seized to the point that easing oil impact driver etc are no use.

I need to replace the nuts/bolts. After little searching I can see the nut side of things, such as perhaps www ebay.co.uk/ itm/ 124284984359 (URL spoiled due to UKC rules)

But I'm not sure the correct terminology for the nut like thing that it goes into, which is a kind of shouldered sleeve with a screwthread internally and externally. If only I knew the terminology I'd probably find it pretty quickly.

Do any of you Mountain Equipment modular tool owners know the correct name or where to source replacements?

Thanks,

Tom

Albert Tatlock 29 Jan 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

It’s Mountain Technology of Glencoe, now sadly gone .

Sean Kelly 29 Jan 2022

Jay Blades?

OP CantClimbTom 29 Jan 2022
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> It’s Mountain Technology of Glencoe, now sadly gone .

You're right, had a total brain fart when typing. Yes Mountain Technology (Glencoe) is what I meant

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Jay Blades?

ha ha quite possibly, if it had a wooden handle then definitely

Post edited at 18:26
 Siward 29 Jan 2022

Custom made? Can they not 3d print metal these days?

I have a pair of pretty much mint vertige tools but although I may never use them I can't bring myself to sell them on....

Wow, drilling the bolts was a ***** what grade steel did they use? Finally I have it separately.

Think it's called a rivet nut, m8 internal diameter and 10 outer. I don't mind using 10.8/ 11mm as I can widen the hole in the head a tiny bit (alloy) but I'd want a rivet nut and bolt pair that has a shorter than standard rivet nut.

Has anyone ever sourced good replacements or should I just accept garden shed bodgemaster and use a standard M10 bolt with a nylock nut and make a "feature" out of them?

Marek 29 Jan 2022

> Wow, drilling the bolts was a ***** what grade steel did they use? Finally I have it separately.

> Think it's called a rivet nut, m8 internal diameter and 10 outer. I don't mind using 10.8/ 11mm as I can widen the hole in the head a tiny bit (alloy) but I'd want a rivet nut and bolt pair that has a shorter than standard rivet nut.

> Has anyone ever sourced good replacements or should I just accept garden shed bodgemaster and use a standard M10 bolt with a nylock nut and make a "feature" out of them?

Hmm, In my very limited experience rivnuts have a splined/friction outer and threaded inner. Never seen one with a threaded outer.

For what it's worth, when I used to make my own axes (a long time ago) I used High Tensile Steel bolts for fixing the pick/hammer/adze. Might be why you found drilling them out to be tough!

In reply to Marek:

Thanks, after my drill struggle and I extracted the rivet nuts, damn things, I could see the outside is completely smooth not threaded as I thought, no threads but no knurl or splines etc either. The slight notch for a very very large flat bladed screwdriver must be to counteract the torque of the bolt, not to thread them in. They are also very thin walled. Outside diameter 10mm dead (not 10.8 or 11) with an m8 internal thread, and short only about 10mm, very non standard size.

Maybe I'll just bolt them, think I have some A4 stainless ordinary bolts, washers and nylock nuts in a drawer somewhere, it won't look very slick and factory made, but it'll be able to bash stuff

Probably have it ready in time for the last snow to have gone

pwo 31 Jan 2022

I do have x4 spare sleeved nuts and bolts for the Vertige after I replaced the picks on mine many years ago. You’re more than welcome for 2 of them if it helps. PM me and I’ll post. No cost just donate something for MRT or RNLI. 
sleeve is 11mm (L) x 10mm (W) . Bolt is 20mm 

pwo 31 Jan 2022

Forgot to add. bolt is M6 x 1.0

OP CantClimbTom 31 Jan 2022
In reply to pwo:

Fantastic, as, as luck would have it with my drilling the nut heads I managed to salvage 2/4 of the sleeves so I am only lacking 2

I will make a reasonable donation to https://localgiving.org/charity/north-wales-mountain-rescue-association/ 

Thank you. Will PM !!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...