UKC

Massage guns?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 31 Jan 2022

Does anyone have any experience of using massage guns? A friend swears by hers for easing muscle soreness, but I'm a bit sceptical, particularly in the light of the difficulty in finding reputable reviews.

In reply to tony:

I reviewed this one a couple of years ago and was relatively sceptical, although it's worth noting that the model in question was quite compact - hence maybe not quite so effective. 

Having re-read the review, I was taken by the following lines from within the summary:

"I think the key to whether or not the Addsfit Portable Massage Gun is a success largely depends on whether or not it actively encourages you to use it"

It's quite telling that in the two years since I wrote the review, I've barely used it...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/training_aids/addsfit_portable_mas...

OP tony 31 Jan 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks Rob. Is Penny still using it as much as your review suggests she was?

rockcatch 31 Jan 2022
In reply to tony:

I got one about 9 months ago. I don't use it regularly, but do pick it up if I have a particularly noticeable muscle ache the day after running. It seems to help a bit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085NTR26K

GDes 31 Jan 2022
In reply to tony:

I got a reasonably expensive one last year. I used it to help ease tight calves after running. After one session, I basically couldn't walk afterwards,with a Calf injury badly aggravated by the gun. I sold it shortly afterwards.

Most physios I spoke to said avoid them, any relief is short term and likely down to endorphin release. 

Robert Durran 31 Jan 2022
In reply to tony:

I've got an Erlang one. I like it. Obviously don't use it on an injury though!

Ben Farley 31 Jan 2022
In reply to tony:

I bought one for my partner; she loves it and uses it most days. She says its great for sore muscles after exercise. Large muscles seems best, so thighs, calves etc. after running is what she usually uses it for. 

Further anecdotal report: A colleague asked about it too, so we leant her our massage gun. She loved it too and bought her own.

In reply to tony:

She recently gave birth, so has been off climbing throughout the last 9+ months - hence hasn't used it a great deal; however, I just asked her about whether or not she'd use it again and her answer was 'yes'. She also said that she tends to go through phases or using it a lot, then other occasions where she just uses it from time to time. My suspicion is that the former tends to occur when she's putting more time and effort into training, then the latter when she's out/about more throughout the summer.

Hope that's of help!

John Ww 31 Jan 2022
In reply to tony:

Yep, I’ve got one, and use it every evening after skiing. I find it highly effective, and wouldn’t be without it.

OP tony 31 Jan 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks. I did know Penny a wee bit when we were both climbing in Edinburgh at Alien Rock years ago, and I do rate her opinion quite highly.

Dax H 31 Jan 2022
In reply to tony:

I got one for the Mrs and she uses it most days, from the sounds she makes she really enjoys using it.

(sorry someone had to say it) 

OP tony 01 Feb 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> I got one for the Mrs and she uses it most days, from the sounds she makes she really enjoys using it.

> (sorry someone had to say it) 

I'm surprised it took so long ...

To everyone else - many thanks for your thoughts. My wife is more persuaded than I am, so I suspect we'll be getting one and I can experiment.

Peterheaney 01 Feb 2022
In reply to tony:

I've got one and use it all the time, found it really effective on plantar fasciitis and shoulder tendinitis. My physio told me to get one, he swears by it. Especially useful for self-rehab when it's "strengthen and lengthen" stage of recovery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...