UKC

Indigestion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 08 Feb 2022

Went on a hill walk today. The ascent would have been easy but for indigestion.

What's the best thing to pack to combat indigestion while out walking? 

wilkie14c 08 Feb 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Acid? Omoprazole from the drs, I used to suffer terribly but one a day and never a worry since. You can buy for occasional use - centrium, far more expensive but worth far more when you need one.

In reply to Flinticus:

Depends on what you describe as indigestion, what the cause is, how bad it is and how it affects you. If your are not sure of the cause, see a GP. You may need a gastroscopy.

Besides lifestyle changes, which I assume you have tried (see NHS website if not), antacids and proton pump inhibitors are the two usual treatments afaik. I used to have Omeprazole for a few years, but now on Lansoprazole (both are PPIs on prescription) and it’s excellent. It is a long term use dose I’m on now. When things started and symptoms were minor, I could cope with the likes of Gaviscon (other antacids are available over the counter, Tesco’s one was good!) which was ok for milder symptoms and for occasional use for some folk. After an op however I had little option, but to go on PPIs.

Morty 08 Feb 2022
In reply to wilkie14c:

> Acid? Omoprazole from the drs, I used to suffer terribly but one a day and never a worry since. You can buy for occasional use - centrium, far more expensive but worth far more when you need one.

Doesn't this stuff weaken your bones?

wilkie14c 08 Feb 2022
In reply to Morty:

probably but that hurts less than heartburn

OP Flinticus 08 Feb 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks. I am considering seeing my GP. 

I think it may well be connected to stress, even if its not a rational worry.

Timmd 08 Feb 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Against the advice on the packet, while stressed with uni work and after eating late too often, and drinking too much dark cocoa and coffee, I went onto Co-op own brand antacid for a month or so, and that sorted my gurgling stomach and sore throat. I guess they don't want more serious things to be self medicated, but figured if there was no change and/or cure within not too long, I'd see a doctor. I've been fine ever since.

Edit: I ate much plainer food, too, less acidic and spicy.

Post edited at 20:46
 Allovesclimbin 08 Feb 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

See your GP. 
As both a friend of a climber in their 40’s who had “indigestion “ which turned out to be an MI ( heart attack ) and as a consultant….see yer GP . 
Probably just , as you say , indigestion, but …. Hope it goes and you remain fit and active ! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...