UKC

Your brain on the bitter end

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alkis 13 Feb 2022

I am curious to hear if anyone else's head does this, but any time I'm in any real danger when climbing, my brain goes into a weird mode where I get little tunes, or short sections of tunes, stuck in there looping. They are almost always annoying tunes and impossible to get rid of.

As an example, I've had "Baby Monkey Riding On A Pig" looping in there on multiple occasions, and it was slightly bemusing to think that if I blew it completely that could be the last tune I'd ever have in my head.

Jordan-L 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

"Baby Monkey Riding on a Pig" always pops in to my head when I'm climbing. It was also in my head when I was running a marathon for the majority of it. 

OP Alkis 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Jordan-L:

What IS it about that bloody tune? 😆

Rog Wilko 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Pleased to say I’ve never heard it.

OP Alkis 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Count yourself lucky. Or... scratch that itch, find out, and come to the dark side!

tehmarks 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

I can't say I'm familiar with that particular tune, but I've definitely noticed that I start humming or singing, or talking to myself, when I'm not in a happy place.

Would you rather die to the tune of Baby Monkey Riding on a Pig, or Brown Girl in the Ring?

Morty 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

This could be your brain deciding to distract your inner voice (articulatory process) from screaming, "WE ARE GOING TO DIE!" by playing brain muzak. 

Or you could just be a properly bad mentalist.

Post edited at 17:38
 Rog Wilko 13 Feb 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

The lark ascending would be more my thing.

profitofdoom 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

> I am curious to hear if anyone else's head does this, but any time I'm in any real danger when climbing, my brain goes into a weird mode where I get little tunes, or short sections of tunes, stuck in there looping.....

I don't get tunes in that situation. I get a calm voice (my own) either asking "Am I going to hit the deck / to die?" or saying "You're going to die" (not kidding)

Levy_danny 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Not when I’m climbing but I had an idles song on repeat in my mind when I was running a fell race the other which I found quite ironic. 

alan moore 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Definitely a thing. I often climb with Beyonce, Kylie and Bieber.

mountainbagger 13 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

I'm reminded of Touching the Void, where Joe Simpson had Boney M going round and round his head, but it's not quite the same as your scenario!

OP Alkis 14 Feb 2022
In reply to alan moore:

It's weird, the one thing I find common between any tunes that stick in my head in those circumstances is that they are annoying. It must be some sort of coping mechanism, but could it not pick something actually acceptable? 😆

a crap climber 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

When I'm bricking it (all too often, hence the username) it's normally this:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Hkn-LSh7es&

Which definitely fits with your 'annoying' hypothesis.

When I'm only a little bit nervous, it's often Gallows Pole by Led Zeppelin, which is much more acceptable

As to why it's these particular songs, I have absolutely no idea

PaulJepson 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Didn't the chap in Touching the Void get a terrible Boney M song stuck on loop in his head?

Basemetal 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

I've read that a cure for earworms is mental arithmetic... but who wants to die doing sums?

ebdon 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

I get this all the time, its normally poppy shite. Many years ago I remember totally pumping out thinking I was about to die (I wasn't) to the tune of Jennifer Lopez jenny from the block, not helpful. 

I had a good one last year - Ella Vos with "going down in flames' as my brain dribbled out of my ears trying to work out the crux of Prana (E3 5c). Fortunately it wasnt prophetic and I didn't.

Macleod 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Whilst quite significantly run out on the shelterstone last summer, I found myself (internally) singing Every Time We Say Goodbye

wercat 14 Feb 2022
In reply to profitofdoom:

I say something to myself out loud along the lines of "This would be a particularly bad place to lose your nerve ..."

usually does the trick

In reply to Alkis:

For some reason the song that was stuck in my head when I was climbing at my best in 1983 was 'Heart of Glass' by Blondie. (I think it was on one of my car music cassettes). I would hum it in nervous snatches when I was on a crux. Actually, it really did help calm the nerves.

In reply to Alkis:

For a while the lines I had on loop when I was gripped were 'Everey day, when I wake up, I thank the lord I'm Welsh' by Catatonia. I'm not even Welsh...

I actively tried to stop doing it, because I was worried that by replaying the lines I was reinforcing the idea that I was currently gripped.

Cobra_Head 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Always the A-Team tune. I think because you can sing any words to it.

OP Alkis 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Oh making up words for tunes always works a treat too. In my case they are usually extremely offensive.

J Whittaker 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Definitely had it before. Can't remember the route but I had Elton John Tiny Dancer going round my head.

nniff 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

"Singing in the rain" is my resident earworm.  He likes it in there - he's been there for years

profitofdoom 14 Feb 2022
In reply to wercat:

> I say something to myself out loud along the lines of "This would be a particularly bad place to lose your nerve ...".........

I've tried that too. 50% of the time it works and I focus, calm down, recover, and move on. And 50% of the time it results in leg trembles and panic

spenser 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

I normally get a bar or two of the Wallace and Gromit theme tune...

OP Alkis 14 Feb 2022

I've asked some other mates as well and it appears that all of them get it to some extent. I wonder why that is, what happens in one's thought processes that results in annoying ear worms looping over and over? Could it be a consequence of suspending whatever part of your thinking that would allow a freak out, in a situation where freaking out would be an entirely plausible reaction?

Paul Sagar 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Interesting - I get songs stuck in my head *constantly*, and it’s been remarked on that when I do ARC training I’m often whistling songs or even singing to myself without realising it. But when the chips are down and I’m run out that’s when the earworms seem to go away. Weirdly, I think I’d rather have it your way round…doing endurance training with “baby shark” stuck between your ears is no fun at all. If it was a coping mechanism to avoid death I think that would be more tolerable somehow. 

Jimbo C 15 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Usually I go very quiet and concentrated but on one occasion, this tune popped into my head

youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY&

CantClimbTom 15 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

How about this one anyone?

youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&

bouldery bits 15 Feb 2022
In reply to alan moore:

> Definitely a thing. I often climb with Beyonce, Kylie and Bieber.

Can Bieber belay?

Bone Idle 15 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Bro..

Like Brown girl in the ring? From touching the void?

Bro.

alan moore 16 Feb 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Can Bieber belay?

Don'r know that one.

Paul Sagar 16 Feb 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

Baby, baby, belay!

OP Alkis 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

You say belayer, I say Belieber!

Bobling 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Always used to get this - I fondly remember Rocker's Revenge at Avon to the tune of the Flight of the Conchords' "Sugar Lumps" -  youtube.com/watch?v=ZQZP5358fmc&, my other most favourite was topping out Arch Slab at Three Cliffs Bay with an absolutely belting trance track "Jupiter" going through my head, still not managed to track that down on the youtubes, shame.

wercat 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Bone Idle:

Chirpie Chirpie Cheep Cheep

Ger_the_gog 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Alkis:

I don't remember doing anything like this when climbing but I've been working on my cardio & general fitness again lately and have found myself singing popular songs in exaggerated regional accents.

E.g. "these boots were made for walking", Chas And Dave remix:

"Awwww, these-a boots were made fa wawkin', ayyyyynd that's-a just wot they'll doooo-a" etc.

Seems to help.

DannyLamby 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

the only sum I'm doing is the difference in my runout rope and the height up the wall, plus rope stretch...

But to answer OP yes I've had something similar happen a couple of time

cb294 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Not so much when run out and stressed, but when exhausted from bushwhacking, paddling into headwind for hours or breaking trail through deep snow: Eutaw, Alabama by OCMS.

Absolutely no idea why!

CB

raussmf 02 Mar 2022
In reply to Alkis:

Mr Marleys three little birds is a classic

Dave Garnett 02 Mar 2022
In reply to spenser:

> I normally get a bar or two of the Wallace and Gromit theme tune...

Me too sometimes.  Or something riffy like One Week of Danger.

youtube.com/watch?v=SgTB_1McAuE& 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...