UKC

Sharpening axes/crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Gordon 16 Feb 2022

Apart from doing it yourself has anyone experience of taking it to somewhere with an angle grinder? Eg. Metalsmith, friendly garage etc and getting a “job lot” done in 5mins!

or specific file recommendations? Some “bite” much better. Especially on BD stainless steel. 

Mark Haward 16 Feb 2022
In reply to James Gordon:

I don't know if the advice is still the same but as I understand it axes and crampons should be hand sharpened rather than using a grinder. Hopefully someone who really knows what they are talking about will advise shortly...

OP James Gordon 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Mark Haward:

I think if you heat them too much it’s bad but that’s altering temper of metal etc. cannot imagine that’s ever going to be a problem. 

Rick Graham 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Mark Haward:

> I don't know if the advice is still the same but as I understand it axes and crampons should be hand sharpened rather than using a grinder. Hopefully someone who really knows what they are talking about will advise shortly...

I will not claim to know what I am talking about but all the written advice I have seen is hand tools only.

With a quality file only a few strokes should be required.

CurlyStevo 16 Feb 2022

I believe an angle grinder can weaken the metal and it not advised. Its dead easy to do anyway just learn your trade!

OP James Gordon 16 Feb 2022

Thanks all. Done it plenty myself in past. Stainless steel harder to work with hence alt file info request. 

When youve got multiple picks and crampons and no vice I thought a bit of mechanical help would give more consistent results!

nniff 16 Feb 2022

Angle grinder = consistently knackered tool result

There's not a lot to remove - just buy a decent file

Pina 16 Feb 2022

The best tip I’ve picked up over the last few years for ensuring longevity of picks for Scottish mixed is to not bother tapering the ends of the pick when filing. Just file to restore the overall shape of the pick. Obviously if you’re using them for water ice then tapering becomes essential

nniff 16 Feb 2022
In reply to Pina:

> The best tip I’ve picked up over the last few years for ensuring longevity of picks for Scottish mixed is to not bother tapering the ends of the pick when filing. Just file to restore the overall shape of the pick. Obviously if you’re using them for water ice then tapering becomes essential

Indeed - the tool needs to be suited to its intended use.  Sharpening to a razor-edge is pointless - you need to retain a reasonably robust edge.  The level of robustness necessary is reduced on pure water ice

You need a barsterd  

https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/files/how-did-bastard-files-get-their-n...

To be honest you will need a fine or second cut file  

Edit 

no vice  put boots and crampons on 

Post edited at 16:47
 Rich W Parker 16 Feb 2022

I use a belt sander, inverted in a bench vice, care still required but much less heat. And for the odd occasion when I do crampon down points a Dremel with a ceramic bit.

Rich W Parker 16 Feb 2022

I use a belt sander, inverted in a bench vice, care still required but much less heat. And for the odd occasion when I do crampon down points a Dremel with a ceramic bit.

There's meant to be a really good app, called grinder or something? Not really getting much advice, just lots of new friends.

65 17 Feb 2022

Oddly I've just done this. I used a standard metal file and it didn't take too long, but this is on Quark picks, DMM and Grivel crampons, not BD.

I'm unsure of what crampons are made of these days but many years ago I cut all the points short on a pair of Salewa Hard Ice Classics for mixed climbing using a hacksaw and went through roughly one blade per point. It was insanely tough stuff and took a long time, I was knackered by the end of it. Filing them into shape was a bit easier but not much. Modern crampons are much softer.

CurlyStevo 17 Feb 2022
In reply to 65:

I hand filed my SS BD crampons and didn't notice any significant difference in time taken

Post edited at 07:37
 timparkin 17 Feb 2022

A good chainsaw file will cut through steel very easily and give you a good edge (Bahco are my favourite). Takes a little practise but that's mostly about holding the axe/crampon steady and at the same angle. 

OP James Gordon 18 Feb 2022
In reply to timparkin:

Excellent thank you 

OP James Gordon 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Rich W Parker:

Excellent thank you 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...