UKC

Emergency dog carrier/backpack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Le Sapeur 17 Feb 2022

Can anyone recommend an emergency dog carrier/backpack? Lightweight would be best as it hopefully won't be used.

Thanks.

Gwain 19 Feb 2022
In reply to Le Sapeur:

What size of dog ? Here's a link to some reviews. The Fido airlift looks good for something to keep in your backpack. 

https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-rescue-harnesses-for-dogs/

Both of my dogs ( spaniel and collie ) regularly just go in my backpack whilst riding or climbing. I also have the ruff wear rated harness with leg loops so the dog can be hoisted comfortably. 

Cheers,

Gwain.  

Ridge 19 Feb 2022
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I note you said 'emergency', so I presume it's to carry in case the dog is injured?

I've idly pondered it, and a lot depends on the size and weight of the dog.

I have a 30kg Lurcher, and I run him in a webmaster harness, purely because he has a really high prey drive, and if he escaped it could get messy.

I can lift him with the haul loop, but due to his weight I don't think it would be particularly comfortable for the hound for any length of time.

As well as the dog, you have to consider yourself. In my case 30kg isn't light, so assuming I have him in a comfy harness, then what? You then need to somehow attach the dog to yourself in such a way that you could carry him over possibly rough terrain for some distance. Any light collapsible carry harness is going to cut into you quite badly.

Best I can come up with is that for something like an injured leg it should be possible to support the dog while it limps out. I carry a couple of climbing slings that, together with my Canicross lead and belt, can be lashed together to support, but not carry for any distance, the dog in his harness. For serious injuries it would be like a small human casualty, it would probably involve a bunch of mates or even MRT at some point.

You could try looking at the various harnesses available for walking disabled dogs, one of those could be suitable as a 'just in case'.

Ian Parsons 19 Feb 2022
In reply to Ridge:

> I note you said 'emergency', so I presume it's to carry in case the dog is injured?

Ah! I assumed that LS was looking for a means of transporting an 'emergency dog' - perhaps a bit like Tami Knight's 'Avalanche Poodles', should you happen to be familiar with her work. I think they were compact enough to fit in an ordinary alpine sac.

Dr.S at work 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Ridge:

You make a really good point that the weight and size of the dog is important.

I often carry dogs, and for short distances <100m, and for small dogs <25kgs. Just holding the dog across your chest with legs between your arms works fine. 

that gets brutal fast for longer distances and heavier dogs.

if the dog panics, carrying in your arms is not great.

for a longer supported movement some sort of sling under the belly can work, but it’s awkward even on flat ground.

with a placid or unconscious dog, the classic shepherds carry across the shoulders is what I’d try for a longer carry. 

id be curious to know how folk have got on with harnesses in real situations.

Wainers44 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> You make a really good point that the weight and size of the dog is important.

> I often carry dogs, and for short distances <100m, and for small dogs <25kgs. Just holding the dog across your chest with legs between your arms works fine. 

> that gets brutal fast for longer distances and heavier dogs

> with a placid or unconscious dog, the classic shepherds carry across the shoulders is what I’d try 

Carried a husky type dog like that all the way down off the summit of Ben Nevis once. Me and the owner took turns. I offered to help after following a trail of blood on the path for 20mins before we came across them. Shredded paws. Very placid dog but blimey he was heavy.

Myfyr Tomos 20 Feb 2022
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Originally designed for cats, this might work for the smaller breed of dog.

George Ormerod 21 Feb 2022
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Got one of these. Probably not available outside North America. 

https://mountaindogware.com/dog-carrying-harness-usa.html

Never used in anger, but was handy for getting a recalcitrant Husky across a river crossing. He loved it. 

benp1 22 Feb 2022
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I'm also interested to understand the request

Is it an emergency, dog-carrier/backpack OR an emergency-dog carrier/backpack

I have a 32kg labrador. He gets carried as little possible because he's both heavy and large. If he injured himself on the hill, that would be quite a problem. No rucksack I have could cope with something that large! 

artif 22 Feb 2022
In reply to benp1:

Our 70+kg St. Bernard is carrying me off the hill if needed. 

I'll be hiring a helicopter for him if he needs it. 😁

Rick Graham 22 Feb 2022
In reply to benp1:

Have you tried something like an ikea bag?

Would enable two people to carry a large dog between them.

Le Sapeur 22 Feb 2022
In reply to everyone:

Thanks everyone for the advice. The dog is 25 kg and quite old but still fit and enjoying long walks. I just didn't want to find myself 4 miles from the car with a limpy or injured  dog to carry home. Holding 25kg at chest height would quickly tire me out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...