UKC

Can anyone recommend a car battery charger please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 17 Feb 2022

As in the title, I’m in need of a car battery charger, well a brief google turns up a bewildering array.  My primary use will be maintenance aka trickle charging.  So, any tips as I can spend any amount of money, but want one that does the job but not stupidly expensive  

Bezz 17 Feb 2022
In reply to kipper12:

Depends what you're planning to charge - if it's a car (12v) this one is really good - comes with an adapter you can leave in place on the vehicle you want to trickle charge so is easy and convenient to attach or remove the charger when needed. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Automatic-Maintainer-maintainence-motorcycle/...

If you need 6v or both 12v and 6v maybe try this one? 

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-chargers/half...

OP kipper12 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Bezz:

Cheers, yes it’s a car 

LastBoyScout 17 Feb 2022
In reply to kipper12:

I'm actually using an Optimate 3 SP motorbike charger as a trickle charger on the car

Left over from when I owned a motorbike and someone else on here recommended it would be ideal as a car trickle charger when I asked the same question a couple of years ago. Has worked brilliantly on my Audi over the last couple of years.

Comes with both a lead that can be left attached to the battery, or a set of croc clips.

thomasburley 17 Feb 2022
In reply to kipper12:

CTEK

HardenClimber 17 Feb 2022
In reply to kipper12:

A CTEK charger works well for me. Good range of options. Some models have options for refresh cycles etc. Quite compact.

Hooo 17 Feb 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Same here! I have an Optimate left over from my biking days and when the battery went flaky in my previous car I hooked up the adaptor so I could plug it in every night to keep it topped up. It's not really rated for such a big battery but did the job fine.

My current car needs to be charged every night too, but that's to be expected with a Nissan Leaf 🙂

Paul Evans 18 Feb 2022
In reply to kipper12:

Check what kind of battery you have. If your car has a stop/start system, it will have a specific kind of battery (an EFB or AGM battery), and you will need a charger designed for such. To be fair most modern chargers handle this, but the very cheapest ones may not. 

Cheers

Paul 

LastBoyScout 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Paul Evans:

Interesting - I wasn't aware there was any difference.

My Audi has stop/start and the Optimate doesn't seem to have had/caused any issues with it - and bikes don't have stop/start (that I'm aware of).

In reply to kipper12:

CTEK

not only does it charge, it recondition. I had a couple of "dead" batteries knocking about which are now functional. 

Great as a trickle charger for my toy car too. It came with a wiring loom to make attachment easy as well as a pair of clips. 

MJAngry 18 Feb 2022
In reply to kipper12:

NOCO are amazing but pricey. 

OP kipper12 21 Feb 2022
In reply to kipper12:

Thanks everyone for the help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...