UKC

Legitimate and foolish, or dodgy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Moacs 18 Feb 2022

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/climbing-gear/1426076729

Way overpriced (all used except rope)

Very badly described

Rope is semi-static, so more caving I would have thought, but not flagged as such

Looks a bit odd!

The New NickB 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

200m rope? 

MischaHY 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

This looks very much like a stolen rack. Nobody has their hands on this kind of kit without knowing what it is and the broad market value. 

In reply to Moacs:

"Rock climbing tree" 🧐

That's robbed. Wasn't there a post a few weeks back about a broken in van somewhere round there??

Edit: can't find it. Maybe saw it on another channel.

Post edited at 11:55
 GrahamD 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

It's not "odd", it's nicked.

climberchristy 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Nicked. If it was legit, even selling it for a mate, you'd be able to describe it better. 

dread-i 18 Feb 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

> 200m rope? 

That's what's in the box. However, it should also make it easier to trace if it is nicked. How many people have a box of rope that length?

Is that a pair of rock shoes with yellow laces in the bag at the side?

Tringa 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

I know nothing about climbing so could be talking rubbish. The rope is said to be new, which suggests the other items are used. It is difficult to see from the photos but all of them look unused.

If I'm right is it likely someone would have so much gear that hasn't been used?

I see in the last couple of weeks the seller has posted a six grand boat and a 27 grand Merc for sale.

Dave

OP Moacs 18 Feb 2022
In reply to dread-i:

Having looked closer I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Two of the hexes look like they've been re-slung with skinny slings, and those yellow laces look like a pair of Boreal Ballets from c.1990.  I think the cams are first generation Camalots and the belay plates are also quite old style.

So I'm guessing it's been sat unused for yonks.  Goodness only knows about 200m od new semi static rope though.

cathsullivan 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

> Two of the hexes look like they've been re-slung with skinny slings,

No, I think they are just DMM Torque nuts while the ones with the single slings are wild country hexes.

The fact that some of it looks old doesn't mean it's not stolen. Seems very dodgy to me.

GMohr 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

WC friends and hexes with a couple torque nuts thrown in, 7 - 10 years old max (at least for the cams and torque nuts)

DannyC 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Moacs:

Yes, on face value it does look (at least) suspicious.

It's easy to flag that to Gumtree via the reporting tool, as I have done.

Sean Kelly 18 Feb 2022
In reply to DannyC:

Now removed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...