UKC

Dalnaspidal rail crossing (just off A9)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 25 Feb 2022

Dalnaspidal rail crossing (just off A9)
Streetview: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@56.830605,-4.221465,187.24h,-11.1p,0.9z,...
streetmap: http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=264548&Y=773211&A=Y&Z=106
Grid ref: NN 6453 7321

Can anyone with local recent knowledge of this crossing please shed some light.  I would like to use this rail crossing to get along the shore of Loch Garry and beyond (to Loch Rannoch).
Is this rail crossing open to hill walkers?  In streetview (above) there is a large red notice "Notice to Hillwakers" but I can't read the rest of the notice in streetview (too fuzzy).
I just want to check that the Dalnaspidal rail crossing is currently available to walkers, and I don't want to get all the way up there and find the crossing is not possible.  A bit of Googling throws up a few snippets, but not much.

I know there is a well publicised issue with the *Dalwhinnie* rail crossing,  but I think the Dalwhinnie crossing is different and about 7 miles north of the place I am wanting to find out about.

TIA

Post edited at 11:40
 Tringa 25 Feb 2022
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I don't have any local knowledge but I have just googled - Dalnaspidal rail crossing - and then clicked on Images. One of the images is the Notice to Hillwalkers sign you asked about and it is easily readable.

Dave

Neil Williams 25 Feb 2022
In reply to Tringa:

The sign refers to the land, not the crossing.  The crossing seems to have a "Private level crossing, authorised users only" sign on it, which would suggest it is *not* for public use.

Most likely you'll get away with it, but the BTP have the occasional blitz as per the more famous other one.

Unfortunately this is one of the (few) downsides of Scotland not having public rights of way like England...

In reply to Tringa:

> I don't have any local knowledge but I have just googled - Dalnaspidal rail crossing - and then clicked on Images. One of the images is the Notice to Hillwalkers sign you asked about and it is easily readable.

Excellent wheeze.  Must bear that in mind for future use.  TYVM.

Robert Durran 25 Feb 2022

I've crossed it on foot regularly without any problems.

Fat Bumbly2 25 Feb 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

The route though to Rannoch is a right of way - not that it stops Network Rail

AFAIK there has not been any problems here.  

allan brown 25 Feb 2022

There is a parking place at the crossing which I have used a few times. The tracks from there across the railway are good for walking or cycling. No problems crossing, just stop look and listen! I have found the locals very friendly, so there should be no issues.

Many thanks for the all helpful replies.  Very useful.

DaveHK 26 Feb 2022

> Can anyone with local recent knowledge of this crossing please shed some light.  I would like to use this rail crossing to get along the shore of Loch Garry and beyond (to Loch Rannoch).

I've crossed it on my bike a few times. Don't plan on staying at Duinish, the sheep have been in and it's stinking, or at least it was when I was there a few years ago.

In reply to DaveHK:

> I've crossed it on my bike a few times. Don't plan on staying at Duinish, the sheep have been in and it's stinking, or at least it was when I was there a few years ago.

I was past Duinish en route to Stob an Aonach  Mor last summer .  Bothy door  was guarded by a deid, very smelly sheep,so I didn't linger! No problems with that level crossing -have taken bike over several times in the past few years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...