UKC

Outdoor gear websites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wainright 25 Feb 2022

Hi,

Decided to put this in another thread and ask more questions here, it's getting a little lost in my thread about boots.

Outdoor gear websites, I need to compile a list as it's looking like a good bet for getting some boots in the size I need. So, I need to know from personal use by you folks, which one's are good/safe to use, and don't have any hidden custom fees, as some sites don't make it obvious ,and as some of them have shocking reviews on trustpilot.

Again..Thank you

In reply to wainright:

Which boots are you after?

ben b 25 Feb 2022
In reply to wainright:

Surely the answer, if you can, is go somewhere to try them on and pay the extra 5% more for certainty they fit? 

I realise I get a few things from SportPursuit (thereby ignoring my own logic) but boots are definitely different to e.g. a thermal top. 

b

Kalna_kaza 25 Feb 2022
In reply to wainright:

As Ben B said, it's worth trying boots on in person than ordering online. Boot sizes, fit and feel differ by manufacturer. Good quality boots are handmade so variations between models from the same company can also be variable! 

If you're investing in a decent pair the chances are you're passing through somewhere with one or more high quality boot retailers. I would naturally advise the independent retailers in the likes of Keswick, Ambleside, Aviemore, Fort William, Llanberis etc but most of the chain stores in these places will be staffed with experienced knowledgeable people who can help. Hope you find the right boots

midgen 26 Feb 2022
In reply to wainright:

I've bought boots from both Rock and Run and LD Mountain Center.

If sizing isn't right, you can return and swap for another, or a refund...wild right? What will they come up with next! 

scotthldr 26 Feb 2022
In reply to midgen:

The problem the OP has is down to the size of their feet, a UK 3.5 Eu 36. Most shops within the UK don’t go below a 5, a few do go down to a 4, and I’ve only came across one that did a 3.5. However the original question was to do with trusted overseas dealers so here’s my take on what ones are imo good.

Trekinn: no extra charges at all, ordered a pair of boots at £250.

Deporvillage: no extra charges but I’ve never gone above the £135 customs threshold.

Addnature: no extra charges again never ordered above the £135.

Bergzeit: no extra charges never ordered above £135.

Amazon are a good bet as well. I’ve ordered a lot of stuff from there, which has came from the EU without additional charges.

For orders above £135, I would email any company I was going to use beforehand to clarify. Also check out the HRMC website as some goods are exempt from custom/import charges, but it is a complicated site.

Jon Read 26 Feb 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

I advise against Trekinn. After getting good (if slow) service early last year, an order placed later in the year saw money taken from my credit card against goods which they claimed were in stock but needed sending to the central depot for dispatch. Months went by, I added a couple of extra things to the order in the meantime, including something that was immediately out of stock (the next day), yet they took the money from the card for that item straight away. Eventually what remained of the order was eventually dispatched in January, and it was only after this that my credit card was debited for any of the unavailable items. The contradictory information I received from Trekinn during this process makes it hard for me to believe that they aren't advertising items for sale that they do not actually have in stock and from which they can gain extra income.

Post edited at 08:54
 jimtitt 26 Feb 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

Worth checking the returns policy though, Bergzeit.uk it's free, Trekinn it's customer pays if they don't fit for example.

crustypunkuk 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

I'd second this. I've dealt with trekinn a few times in the past without any drama, but I ordered boots on the basis of them in stock and ready to dispatch. 10 weeks later they were still en route to the dispatch centre. Took an age to get a refund from them, and customer service was non existent.

After all the drama I ended up ordering from Trekitt in Hereford. Boots arrived the next day. Lesson learned. 

ianstevens 26 Feb 2022
In reply to jimtitt:

Bergzeit returns are only free in Germany FYI

jimtitt 26 Feb 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

No.

"Without prejudice to your statutory rights, we will provide you with free return shipping labels. Log in to your customer account or register your return via our returns portal  and print out the return shipping label. You can hand over the package to the Royal Mail shipping service provider."

JOC1 26 Feb 2022
In reply to wainright:

I'm also on the lookout this year for new walking boots.  However, I have a high instep and broad foot and am in the "would rather would try them on" camp.  In this respect I am somewhat annoyed (OK, this is a rather 'Western life' annoyance given the other issues in the world atm.) at all the Go Outdoors stores closing locally.  Whether you loved or hated the brand they did provide an ability to see a large range of different (and often reasonable quality) brands for sale in one location and to try them all on.  Now all my local ones have closed it's over 16 miles to find the nearest one.  Yes, there are other odd 'Outdoors' type shops around, but these are the single branded stores where you can only get 'their' brand of goods and often these are not the higher quality brands.  I don't particularly want to go down the mail order route, but I think I might end up doing so.

scotthldr 26 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1: 

Over 16 miles, the horror🤷‍♂️. You’ll probably walk more than that the first time you wear them out in anger.

JOC1 26 Feb 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

LOL!  Well I suppose put like that perhaps it isn't so far to go! ha, ha, ha!

Tintin 26 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

> LOL!  Well I suppose put like that perhaps it isn't so far to go! ha, ha, ha!

Yeah, you're lucky. I've never even seen a Go Outdoors store so just checked...nearest one is nearly 40miles away and the 2nd nearest is 60miles lol.

OP wainright 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> Which boots are you after?

No idea, just struggling to find a tiny size 3.5 in the UK shops 

OP wainright 26 Feb 2022
In reply to ben b:

> Surely the answer, if you can, is go somewhere to try them on and pay the extra 5% more for certainty they fit? 

>  

> I realise I get a few things from SportPursuit (thereby ignoring my own logic) but boots are definitely different to e.g. a thermal top. 

> b

My problem lies in the fact that I can't find my tiny size 3.5 in the shops unfortunately 

OP wainright 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> As Ben B said, it's worth trying boots on in person than ordering online. Boot sizes, fit and feel differ by manufacturer. Good quality boots are handmade so variations between models from the same company can also be variable! 

> If you're investing in a decent pair the chances are you're passing through somewhere with one or more high quality boot retailers. I would naturally advise the independent retailers in the likes of Keswick, Ambleside, Aviemore, Fort William, Llanberis etc but most of the chain stores in these places will be staffed with experienced knowledgeable people who can help. Hope you find the right boots

Yes, I completely agree, I've worked in the trade myself, only thing is, very few shops stock my 3.5 size unfortunately 

OP wainright 26 Feb 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

> The problem the OP has is down to the size of their feet, a UK 3.5 Eu 36. Most shops within the UK don’t go below a 5, a few do go down to a 4, and I’ve only came across one that did a 3.5. However the original question was to do with trusted overseas dealers so here’s my take on what ones are imo good.

> Trekinn: no extra charges at all, ordered a pair of boots at £250.

> Deporvillage: no extra charges but I’ve never gone above the £135 customs threshold.

> Addnature: no extra charges again never ordered above the £135.

> Bergzeit: no extra charges never ordered above £135.

> Amazon are a good bet as well. I’ve ordered a lot of stuff from there, which has came from the EU without additional charges.

> For orders above £135, I would email any company I was going to use beforehand to clarify. Also check out the HRMC website as some goods are exempt from custom/import charges, but it is a complicated site.

Ah, someone has actually answered the question I asked Lol. Thanks soo much I will check these out

OP wainright 26 Feb 2022
In reply to scotthldr:

> The problem the OP has is down to the size of their feet, a UK 3.5 Eu 36. Most shops within the UK don’t go below a 5, a few do go down to a 4, and I’ve only came across one that did a 3.5. However the original question was to do with trusted overseas dealers so here’s my take on what ones are imo good.

> Trekinn: no extra charges at all, ordered a pair of boots at £250.

> Deporvillage: no extra charges but I’ve never gone above the £135 customs threshold.

> Addnature: no extra charges again never ordered above the £135.

> Bergzeit: no extra charges never ordered above £135.

> Amazon are a good bet as well. I’ve ordered a lot of stuff from there, which has came from the EU without additional charges.

> For orders above £135, I would email any company I was going to use beforehand to clarify. Also check out the HRMC website as some goods are exempt from custom/import charges, but it is a complicated site.

Thank you

OP wainright 26 Feb 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

> I advise against Trekinn. After getting good (if slow) service early last year, an order placed later in the year saw money taken from my credit card against goods which they claimed were in stock but needed sending to the central depot for dispatch. Months went by, I added a couple of extra things to the order in the meantime, including something that was immediately out of stock (the next day), yet they took the money from the card for that item straight away. Eventually what remained of the order was eventually dispatched in January, and it was only after this that my credit card was debited for any of the unavailable items. The contradictory information I received from Trekinn during this process makes it hard for me to believe that they aren't advertising items for sale that they do not actually have in stock and from which they can gain extra income.

Thank you, one to avoid I think 

OP wainright 26 Feb 2022
In reply to crustypunkuk:

> I'd second this. I've dealt with trekinn a few times in the past without any drama, but I ordered boots on the basis of them in stock and ready to dispatch. 10 weeks later they were still en route to the dispatch centre. Took an age to get a refund from them, and customer service was non existent.

> After all the drama I ended up ordering from Trekitt in Hereford. Boots arrived the next day. Lesson learned. 

I will certainly avoid this one, thank you 

OP wainright 26 Feb 2022
In reply to jimtitt:

> No.

> "Without prejudice to your statutory rights, we will provide you with free return shipping labels. Log in to your customer account or register your return via our returns portal  and print out the return shipping label. You can hand over the package to the Royal Mail shipping service provider."

Thank you, so, Bergzeit are free for uk returns?? 

ben b 27 Feb 2022
In reply to wainright:

My apologies, I didn’t see the other thread. 

the good thing is there’s a good chance if someone does have size 3.5s they will be in the sale! 

b

JOC1 27 Feb 2022
In reply to wainright:

I just wondered if any of the suppliers/manufacturers that support DoE might be worth looking into.  Just given that it's often students that participate in the endeavour who maybe have smaller feet at that age.

CantClimbTom 27 Feb 2022
In reply to JOC1:

The boots aimed at DoE will often be the lightweight fabric (with membrane) that you can get in Sports Direct etc etc. Such as karrimor.

I've bought for my kids and been so impressed with them. Made me wonder if the huge difference in price between their karrimor and my e.g. Scarpa tx4 mid is worth it as they seem fairly comparable. Maybe the karrimor won't last as long but they're so much cheaper in the £40 price bracket perhaps for summer boots they're better

Spending a lot of walking time just in ordinary (cheaper and lighter the better) wellies with an added insole out of old trainers. Was trudging the Moelwyns for a few days a week ago during the height of the storm and glad of the wellies, had dry feet the whole time

ianstevens 27 Feb 2022
In reply to jimtitt:

I live in Denmark (so different laws to the UK), and returned stuff to them this week for the princely sum of 100kr. It was a return because of poor fit, no fault on their part. They’re only obliged to offer free returns for faulty products AFAIK.

Post edited at 14:03
 jimtitt 27 Feb 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

I've already copy and pasted the relevant section from the English website terms and conditions.

ianstevens 27 Feb 2022
In reply to jimtitt:

Not disputing them. Just sharing my recent experience which led to my claim.

jimtitt 27 Feb 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Bizzare!

"Bergzeit returns are only free in Germany FYI"

Returns are free from the UK, Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland.

JOC1 27 Feb 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to walk in the long-term, but where would we be without rubber/plastic wellies?  One of the most used and under appreciated inventions in my book.  Where I live it lies VERY wet and in the winter we live in wellies.  Can you just imagine how people managed before they had them?  Very wonderful things are wellies imv.!!

Graeme G 27 Feb 2022
In reply to wainright:

Keswick boot company were good for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...