UKC

Bivvying on Puig campana

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tinytommy 28 Feb 2022

Hi all,

Have used the search and been searching online but can’t find any info. Any one done an overnight bivvy halfway up or at the top of the Puig? Have seen that large lunch ledge on the topo is that an ok bivvy spot? Or is there a much better stop over spot. 

thanks in advance

Post edited at 14:14
 Mark Eddy 28 Feb 2022
In reply to tinytommy:

There's a good bivvy spot on the seaward side of the big notch. Exit the notch and go left, you'll easily spot it within a couple of minutes. Epic views from there. In the notch itself too, there's big enough boulders to shelter from wind.

The lunch ledge on the RF topo for EC wouldn't be ideal, but you could make it work if you had to.

The ledge systems further left would be better. There's an area on there that looks as if it may be used for overnighting. But depending on what route you're doing, this would involve a detour through some potentially quite loose terrain.

There are a few spots at the top of EC that would work too. Going up and left of it to find more level terrain.

The top of the Barranco del Infierno gully could be okay too, although that's way off left. This would be ideal if climbing the Sud Oeste Integral which starts with Aristoteles and the Pepsi Crest. Bivvy after Pepsi and before abseiling into the gully.

Mark Edwards of Compass West may be able to help further.

Or Rich Mayfield at The Orange House. These guys know the Puig pretty well.

If you want more detailed info about the sites I've mentioned here e-mail me at: mountain.journeys@yahoo.co.uk

HTH

Jim blackford 28 Feb 2022
In reply to tinytommy:

The comment above by Mark Eddy is great. Thought i'd add that the following trip report (of Edwards finish to Espolon central) mentions and includes a photograph of a bivvy spot near the notch:

https://www.colerobertsonclimbs.com/blog/2020/1/5/trip-report-and-route-inf...

Also includes general navigation for descending from the notch area. 

OP tinytommy 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for all the info! It was just a random idea with a friend but now looking into it a lot more and the routes you've mentioned, going up the Aristoteles and Pepsi crest and bivvying at the top of that seems like a great idea, I was really struggling to find more topos of the puig so for anyone reading this in the same position check out this website its got everything on there..

http://www.senderosdealicante.com/delaroca/localizaciones/puigcampana.html

OP tinytommy 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Jim blackford:

Hi Jim,

Just checked out those photos of that bivvy spot near the notch, looks great as well, Thanks!

Trangia 28 Feb 2022
In reply to tinytommy:

Take plenty of water. It's south facing so you will drink a lot during the climb before you even start the bivy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...