UKC

Double Camping mat recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 28 Feb 2022

Can anyone recommend a double camping mat that is not a li-lo/airbed?

Weight is not an issue as it will be for car-based camping trips.

I've seen a few self-inflating/foam type ones, but would like recommendations re. comfort, warmth and reliability.

Ta

Fred 

Graeme Hammond 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Fredt:

Managed to get at very good price a Nemo quasar 3D insulated double mattress for car camping.  It is very comfortable, warm and packs pretty small at relatively light weight. When car camping we take that instead of the 2 old school foam mattress and 2 light weight self inflation mattress which took up a lot of room. It uses an inflation bag which takes a few minutes to inflate but good technique speeds this up. Not cheap but hopefully is going mean going away camping is more appealing, the other half was very impressed with the comfort.

I have also tried out a seat to summit Comfort Delux SI which comes in a double mattress version and i would have considered as a lovely luxury car camping option. Think i tried a Nemo Roamer series mattress too once which would be another luxury option.

whenry 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Fredt:

We've got a Multimat Camper Double 75 self-inflating mat, which we're very pleased with. Had it for about three years, and it's warm and comfortable. Not tiny or lightweight, but good for car camping.

olddirtydoggy 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Fredt:

We cut down a memory foam mattress from ikea to fit the floor of our transit. The warmest camp bed we've ever  slept on.

monkey man 28 Feb 2022
In reply to Fredt:

Exped mega Mat if you can afford one. It’s more comfortable than our actual bed. Not had it in cold. Not small or light but that’s irrelevant 

In reply to Fredt:

Alpkit double dozer. Super comfy and enormous!

LastBoyScout 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Fredt:

Have used a Vango Comfort 5 self-inflating mat and that is very warm and comfy - but a bit of a fight to deflate and pack. Newer ones than mine have much improved valves and should be much easier. It's probably about as big a self-inflating mat as you'd want to take - anything much thicker is going to take up half your boot

Their flagship one is the Shangri La, which has die cut foam to save pack size, but empty your wallet.

Mostly we use an Outwell Reel double, which is very comfy and packs down smaller and easier, but is essentially a glorified lilo, so may not fit your spec.

OP Fredt 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Fredt:

Many thanks for all the suggestions.. I'm liking the look of the Shangri-La, though the cost could keep me awake at night!

galpinos 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Fredt:

Does anyone use these who is considerably larger than their other half? There's a 20kg minimum difference between my wife and I so the chance of my side collapsing and her rolling into me is high!

We also struggle to get a mattress that works for both of us, what is a "hard" mattress to a 55kg women is not the same as "hard" to a 90kg man!

Adam Long 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Fredt:

We've got one of these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/self-inflating-camping-mattress-ultim-comfort...

Not at all compact but very comfy.

maxsmith 01 Mar 2022
In reply to Fredt:

We've got the Vango Shangri-la  double and Vango Comfort double, both in 10cm I think.  To be fair they are very comfortable and worth the money if you use them a lot.

maxsmith 01 Mar 2022
In reply to galpinos:

I sound like I'm shilling the Shangri-la here...but the inflatable chamber is set up in such a way that you don't feel any bounce when the person sleeping next to you moves.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...