UKC

Where to get a Pulk, Oslo and interwebs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oceannash909 02 Mar 2022

Hi All 

I'm planning a trip to cross the Hardangervidda plateau in Norway this April, but I can't seem to find myself a pulk! Does anyone know of any place I can rent a pulk in Oslo? 

I know many recommend using the hut system and just bring a backpack, but I want to sleep in the tent and pull a sled around (makes me feel more extreme than I actually am)

I'm willing to buy one in the UK from Aiguille Alpine but I am hesitant due to the price of the pulk and the cords, harness etc. I am also worried about it cracking in the airport when being chucked around by baggage handlers. 

In general, just wondering what the best way for getting a pulk is, If you have any other pulk tips or logistics, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

hillman 03 Mar 2022
In reply to oceannash909:

Do you read Norwegian? https://www.hygglo.no/category/3933-pulk/oslo

This website is for private and semi professional renting all kinds of tools and equipment.

Fruit 03 Mar 2022

Looks like hillman has answered your question. If you’re not a member already, joining the DNT so you’ll have access to their huts if you need to, it can be a wild and remote place.

Great trip, hope you have fun

Toby_W 03 Mar 2022

My Norwegian friend and I just bought two childrens plastic sleds and clipped them to our climbing harnesses when we skied in from Lom to Storen one winter.  Beautiful and lonely!

Cheers

Toby.

Just to add I have absolutely no doubt a pulk will be far superior to what we had🤣🤣

Post edited at 07:18
 HeMa 03 Mar 2022
In reply to Toby_W:

Yeah... the kids pulkas/sleds have a few problems.... they are often too short, so you need to pile them up high... and then they'll just fall over all the time. Naturally this might not be a problem (flat ground), but it can be (lot's of hills and vert).

The other thing is naturally the pull-system. Rope/cord again works on flat ground, but add inclines or bushwackin' to the mix and not as fun. You can sort of "jury" something by just threading the cord through some electrical cable routing pipes (plastic) and perhaps some garden hose to both ends to mimic the real deal... the plastic pipes just tend to break, especially in the cold.

OwenM 03 Mar 2022

youtube.com/watch?v=Swg6VQeWDCI&

Ideas on rigging for a pulk here.

OP oceannash909 03 Mar 2022
In reply to hillman:

Yes I can read basic Norwegian, i'll be sure to check it out, you might of just saved me! thanks

wbo2 03 Mar 2022
OP oceannash909 03 Mar 2022
In reply to hillman:

Hi again

I've looked at this website but in order for me to rent it seems like I need to have something called BankID which seems independent of Scandinavia, is there anyway around this?

Thanks

Moacs 03 Mar 2022

> Hi again

> I've looked at this website but in order for me to rent it seems like I need to have something called BankID which seems independent of Scandinavia, is there anyway around this?

> Thanks

I don't know - but call them and they will

AndyC 03 Mar 2022

That looks like some kind of aggregator website, they seem to take 20% of what you pay to a private person who wants rent out their pulk. 

Here's a company in Oslo that do it - you could email them for more info, they are sure to speak English:

https://www.fjellboms.no/utleie-pulker-og-truger

(I have no idea if they are any good)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...