UKC

Barkley Marathons 2022

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Ormerod 08 Mar 2022

Has started. For UK interest, Jasmin Paris hoping to be the first woman to complete it.

No dot watching obviously, but some updates here:

https://twitter.com/keithdunn

https://twitter.com/ameliaboone

mountainbagger 08 Mar 2022
In reply to George Ormerod:

Just started (and now deleted after seeing yours) my own thread on this!

The front runners have started loop 2, including Jasmin Paris, Courtney Dauwalter, John Kelly and Karel Sabbe. No offence to the other frontrunners...those are the names I'm most familiar with!

Quite a few runners out to loop 2 including John Kelly and Courtney Dauwalter.  

Jasmin Paris has finished loop 1 in 9:23:18.

Jasmin Paris began loop 2 in 9:24:19.

In reply to mountainbagger:

> Just started (and now deleted after seeing yours) my own thread on this!

> The front runners have started loop 2, including Jasmin Paris, Courtney Dauwalter, John Kelly and Karel Sabbe. No offence to the other frontrunners...those are the names I'm most familiar with!

Whoops, crossed threads.  This is better that a test match for following; you can have a nice kip and come back before anything has happened.

BusyLizzie 09 Mar 2022

She had one minute 's rest between loops? Wow!!!

BusyLizzie 09 Mar 2022

Would be nice to be dot-watching ... hopefully there will be things to read after it's finished.

mountainbagger 09 Mar 2022
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Would be nice to be dot-watching ... hopefully there will be things to read after it's finished.

Definitely! People often write articles, books and make films about it, so it's very likely.

I've lifted this from a Facebook post by someone else, but here's some examples:

The Barkley Marathons: The race that eats its young:
youtube.com/watch?v=bG97F6b_6o4&
Where dreams go to die: 
youtube.com/watch?v=NDZdsqbcGTU&
Out there- A journey to the Barkley Marathons:
youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3XPQFLOF8&
Last Women Standing:
youtube.com/watch?v=dJAW8STfiko&
The year the Barkley won | 2018 Barkley Marathons:
youtube.com/watch?v=dRpEE-82bWc&

BusyLizzie 09 Mar 2022

Yes, I've seen some of those, and thank you cos I haven't seen all of them. It is so inspiring ... I watch and I dream ... and then put my running shoes on and stagger out for my usual suburban waddle.

ianstevens 09 Mar 2022
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Would be nice to be dot-watching ... hopefully there will be things to read after it's finished.

I'd argue the opposite, it's nice to not be able to dot watch - which is kind of the spirit of the thing at hand here.

galpinos 09 Mar 2022

Courtney Dauwalter out.....

Michael Hood 09 Mar 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

The complete weirdness of the whole thing is brilliant. The unique way it's run - both meanings.The fact that unless injury causes early exit, everyone has an epic experience regardless of result.

Let's hope it never becomes sanitised into some kind of corporate event after Gary Cantrell becomes too old to organise it.

Jim Lancs 09 Mar 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Let's hope it never becomes sanitised into some kind of corporate event after Gary Cantrell becomes too old to organise it.

The "Red Bull Wild Running Mega Extreme Marathon of Doom" is already fully branded and waiting in the wings . . .

timjones 09 Mar 2022
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Surely that would detract from the nature of the race that makes it such an attraction?

In reply to timjones:

> Surely that would detract from the nature of the race that makes it such an attraction?

I agree, you're right and I'll appreciate the documentary film and article/blogs more when they inevitably come out on the participants' terms. But I can also be sad that I cannot get more into this as it happens instead of working!

This lack of publicity, lack of start list, lack of updates until loops are completed or people drop really adds to the feeling this is a very personal battle during the event.

lowersharpnose 09 Mar 2022

Jasmin Paris is still going, started Loop3 .   Lots have dropped.  Not that many ahead of her.  Looks like she might be currently 3rd or 4th, hard to tell.

https://twitter.com/keithdunn

BusyLizzie 09 Mar 2022
In reply to timjones:

> Surely that would detract from the nature of the race that makes it such an attraction?

Yes, you're right. Looking forward to updates later.

In reply to lowersharpnose:

> Jasmin Paris is still going, started Loop3 .   Lots have dropped.  Not that many ahead of her.  Looks like she might be currently 3rd or 4th, hard to tell.

Looking good, Innov8 saying that there's 10 runners left, but Keith Dunn saying more; enjoyable confusion and uncertainty.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

https://twitter.com/JohnSug/status/1501580470148124673?t=2-wkKSJhHVtBQMMI6I...

Good little graph here with dots (to make up for the lack of dot watching). He tweets updates now and then (mainly to correct errors) but nice visualisation I think.

MeMeMe 09 Mar 2022

I love the confusion! Just 5 people left in because if you're not on loop 3 your timed out now?

In reply to MeMeMe:

> I love the confusion! Just 5 people left in because if you're not on loop 3 your timed out now?

Yes, 5 I think: https://twitter.com/JohnSug/status/1501584128164126721?t=5xOv4Sg5HNAE5O9ea7...

Edit: also photos of Jasmin finishing loop 2 here: https://www.facebook.com/33824234968/posts/10151674616109969/

Post edited at 16:13
In reply to MeMeMe:

Five runners remain all on loop 3: Jasmin Paris, Thomas Dunkerbeck, Greig Hamilton, John Kelly and Karel Sabbe.

goose299 09 Mar 2022

And the pictures of her trashed legs

https://www.facebook.com/33824234968/posts/10151674565659969/?d=n

Edit: hoping John gets a 2nd finish 

Post edited at 17:14

Good link, thanks.

In reply to goose299:

> And the pictures of her trashed legs

> Edit: hoping John gets a 2nd finish 

Nicky Spinks used orienteering bramble bashers to avoid that, seemed like a good idea

ablackett 10 Mar 2022

Jasmin finished loop 3 in 39:49:56 to finish the fun run.

https://twitter.com/keithdunn/status/1501782476741648385?s=21

mountainbagger 10 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

> Jasmin finished loop 3 in 39:49:56 to finish the fun run.

Ah it's all happened while I've been sleeping! Jasmin, John Kelly and Thomas Dunderbeck all completed the fun run but are now out of the race (is it a race or an ordeal?). John was within the time (36 hrs) to start loop 4 if he'd wanted to (but decided not to), Jasmin and Thomas weren't but made it (just) under the 40hr fun run cut-off.

Only 2 people have gone back out for loop 4, Karel Sabbe and Greig Hamilton. And then there's another loop after that! I'm knackered just thinking about it.

If John Kelly can only get 3/5 of the way through!!

BusyLizzie 10 Mar 2022
In reply to mountain.martin:

Just exhausting to contemplate...

65 10 Mar 2022

> If John Kelly can only get 3/5 of the way through!!

and if Jasmin Paris can only get 3/5 of the way through!!!

I have to track down the films now.

ianstevens 10 Mar 2022

And its done. No finishers.

BusyLizzie 10 Mar 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> And its done. No finishers.

Blimey.

Myr 10 Mar 2022

John Kelly dropped his book pages and spent 3hrs doing hill reps trying to find them. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca7CfGauB9E/

65 10 Mar 2022
In reply to Myr:

Damn that's a sore one. 

Denning76 10 Mar 2022
In reply to 65:

Apparently Sabbe got lost, ended up in a town, consulted a bin for assistance and then had the police called on him by locals believing he was a suspicious person.

Wainers44 10 Mar 2022
In reply to Denning76:

> Apparently Sabbe got lost, ended up in a town, consulted a bin for assistance and then had the police called on him by locals believing he was a suspicious person.

If the crazy race ever did need advertising,  promoting that one story would be enough!

In reply to Wainers44:

Barkley 2022 done; no finishers.  "Fun run" from a few, including Jasmin Paris.

MeMeMe 10 Mar 2022

There's a great video of Karl Sabbe in the Barkley Marathon 2019 -  youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3XPQFLOF8&

mountainbagger 10 Mar 2022
In reply to MeMeMe:

> There's a great video of Karl Sabbe in the Barkley Marathon 2019 -  youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3XPQFLOF8&

That was great, thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...