UKC

Biggest guide book ever?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Pylon King 11 Mar 2022

What is/are the biggest (page count) guidebook/s ever printed?

Two I know of and own are the famous Lancashire 'Brick' and the more recent North Wales Bouldering Vol 1.

Pedro50 11 Mar 2022
In reply to The Pylon King:

So how many pages have they got? I own neither.

neilh 11 Mar 2022

The new Costa Balanca guide by Robert Lopez is preety heavy duty, sits nicely next to my Lancashire " brick".

And the thinnest guide--- could either be Duddon Valley from years ago or an old topo of Chuilla.Bancrofts recent developments is quite thick in comparison.

jimtitt 11 Mar 2022

971 pages for the Thum guide to the Northern Frankenjura.

In reply to Pedro50:

> So how many pages have they got? I own neither.

Sorry yeah my Lancs guide is in a box somewhere but it is notoriously big. The Nw Bouldering book is 704.

Baron Weasel 11 Mar 2022

The Lancashire brick would make an excellent chock on Aladinsane.

In reply to jimtitt:

> 971 pages for the Thum guide to the Northern Frankenjura.

Wow 971!

can anyone beat that?

Post edited at 13:22
 Offwidth 11 Mar 2022

A newish Yosemite selective guidebook was physically the largest I've ever seen. Some near continuous areas these days have multiple volumes (Pembroke most notably). The smallest physical guide I know of is to  Wappy Spring.

Post edited at 13:48
 Ramblin dave 11 Mar 2022
In reply to neilh:

> And the thinnest guide--- could either be Duddon Valley from years ago or an old topo of Chuilla. Bancrofts recent developments is quite thick in comparison.

I've got a copy of Leicestershire Climbs which is about as thick as you'd expect...

> Two I know of and own are the famous Lancashire 'Brick' and the more recent North Wales Bouldering Vol 1.

680 pages, so not as big as NW Bouldering. Oddly, when it was reissued, it was much thinner although I think it had much the same content.

Alan

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thinner paper? I seem to remember the paper of the original being pretty 'solid'.

Mark Collins 11 Mar 2022

The Standedge, Whitbarrow and Furness Areas are missing from the condensed version as far as I can tell.

I'm sure the brick would have been split into volumes if there was much multi-pitch in the area. Someone once drew my attention to how skinny Scottish guidebooks are. Must be paired down to the bear minimum.

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 11 Mar 2022

The YMC Yorkshire Gritstone is over 1400 pages, split into two volumes.

ianstevens 11 Mar 2022
In reply to neilh:

> And the thinnest guide--- could either be Duddon Valley from years ago or an old topo of Chuilla.Bancrofts recent developments is quite thick in comparison.

Has to be either the GU Parisella's Pamphlet, or if you don't want to count that then the Nesscliffe guide. Admittedly both quite specific. The central Wales guide is also pretty slender.

> Thinner paper? I seem to remember the paper of the original being pretty 'solid'.

It was quite a bit smaller in dimensions as well although I haven't got the new one to see if the contents are the same.

Alan

redjerry 11 Mar 2022

I had set a self-imposed limit of 500 pages on my books.
https://www.redrocksguidebook.com/index.html
https://www.mojavelimestone.com
https://www.northconwayrockclimbs.com
Though I'm not sure what to do with new editions, since with all 3 books I'm at the point where either I break the rule or split into two volumes?
At the moment leaning towards 2 volumes. I'd be curious what people think are the pros and cons.

jimtitt 11 Mar 2022
In reply to Steve Crowe:

> The YMC Yorkshire Gritstone is over 1400 pages, split into two volumes.

Not quite "a" guidebook then! The Sachsiche Schwietz is six or seven volumes and god knows how many pages altogether.

Morty 11 Mar 2022

The Bible?  All the beta on how to dyno past temptation, turn the other cheek (clearly a metaphor for back and footing up a grit chimney), suffer under the yolk of one's burden (carry your rack up to the Cromlech) and ascend to Heaven.

petegunn 11 Mar 2022

My Pembroke CC guide although it's split into 2 books encased in a single binder, the page numbers continue from part one into part two, 414 - 830 so this must count!?

Post edited at 20:21
 Will Hunt 11 Mar 2022

Northern Rock is being printed as we speak - 608 pages. Chunky but perhaps not "brick" proportions. I think Scottish Rock will be a few pages more. I was livid when I found out 😀

There's a joke in there somewhere.

Northern Rock: too big to fail!

Sorry yes meant to say single volume.

In reply to Morty:

No sorry, no 'fantasy' books.

Myfyr Tomos 11 Mar 2022

The CC "Meirionnydd" guidebook is 512 pages, - quite chunky.

Michael Hood 12 Mar 2022
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> I've got a copy of Leicestershire Climbs which is about as thick as you'd expect...

Presume you mean either the yellow 70's guide or the earlier red one. The 90's guide is a reasonable thickness requiring a binding rather than just staples.

aln 12 Mar 2022

> What is/are the biggest (page count) guidebook/s ever printed?

Encyclopedia Britannica?

cb294 12 Mar 2022
In reply to jimtitt:

762 for Vol. 1 of the Röker guide to Frankenjura, I think around 650 for Vol. 2

Up to the last edition it used to be on volume before splitting North and South with probably around 1000 pages as well.

The six volumes of Kletterführer Sächsische Schweiz contain 2248 pages all together, but they have topos for only very few of the routes, mainly it is a list rather than an actual guide. I much prefered the topo guides, but there you only got a fraction of the routes.

CB

Tony & Sarah 13 Mar 2022
In reply to cb294:

Firstly Kletterführer Sächsische Schweiz  are  definitive guides with full descriptions of all routes. If you are that desperate for topos, we recommend the topo kletterfuhrer guides from Reike Rassbach. Unfortunately for many the topos are only for the harder routes.

Tony & Sarah

cb294 13 Mar 2022
In reply to Tony & Sarah:

I have both several of the topo guides and all six of the regular guides, Even the local topo guides, e.g. for Bielatal or Steinegebiet are nothing like the Frankenjura topos.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...