UKC

Suggestions for easy to cook camp meals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoaseF 13 Mar 2022

Does anybody have any suggestions for easy to cook camp meals?

Robert Durran 13 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Pasta with whatever you want chucked in it.

Billhook 13 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Rice with whatever you want chucked in it.

Post edited at 20:46
 Tom Valentine 13 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

A full link of black pudding. All you have to do is boil it for 15 mins, split it open and squirt some mustard on it before scooping it out of the skin.Two slices of bread to accompany.

I cooked this when doing the Pennine Way in 1978, bought the meat and bread in Middleton in Teesdale and pitched up for the night at Hannah Hauxwell's farm. The day after I made it as far as Hawes so it must have been good fuel.

Mike-W-99 13 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Couscous with whatever you chuck in. Smoked sausage is always a winner.

(And yes I know its a form of pasta)

alan moore 13 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Spam and beans.

Or corned beef if you want to get fancy.

justdoit 13 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

tortellini is the best, cooks quick , fills you up, and isn't too bland either. 

birdie num num 13 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Boasef bourguignon 

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Couscous with whatever you chuck in. Smoked sausage is always a winner.

Chorizo is better...

Wingnut 14 Mar 2022
In reply to Billhook:

Once did an adaptation of a Delia Smith risotto on a camping stove. Saint Delia herself would probably have thrown things, but it still tasted pretty good.

(Also, scrambled egg sandwiches for breakfast. If you're somewhere rural enough to have campsites, there's probably somewhere nearby selling eggs at the gate ...)

Philip 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

On a proper fire, spatchcocked chicken cooks easily and quickly.

If fuel is a limiting factor, a pilaf made with basmati will cook in less than half the time of a risotto with arborio.

Niall_H 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

> easy to cook camp meals?

Gnocchi and a jar of stir-through pasta sauce (the concentrated, Sacla type).  Gnocchi cook in a couple of minutes and the sauce helps keeping them from all sticking together (as well as adding flavour!)

e.ms355 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

pasta, pesto, veg (broccoli, beans etc)

eggs (omelette, scrambled..)

AWP84 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

I tend to go 3 course:

Cup a soup starter

Pasta main

Powdered custard and dried fruit dessert

Bonus: muesli tastes ok with dessert last cooked in the pan, so no washing up.

GrahamD 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

How many for ? Just for me, I'm happy to cook a pack of sausages (save some for breakfast and some for lunch) then add some sort of tinned beans and tomatoes. 

Toerag 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

I think we need more info.

How many people?

What do you have to cook on and wash up with?

Do you have fridge/freezer facilities?

How easy is it to transport stuff i.e. do you have to carry everything to camp on your back or can you simply unload it out of the boot of your car?

In reply to BoaseF:

Steak

chris_r 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Pot Noodle, and a bottle of Malbec. Screw cap so I don't need a bottle opener. 

magma 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

all day breakfast in a tin?

felt 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

> Suggestions for easy to cook camp meals?

Difficult to cook camp meals. Much better idea. Also, heavier ingredients are a lot tastier than lighter ones. People usually get this whole thing the wrong way round.

ebdon 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

I've just got lazy with this and use freeze dried meals pretty  much all the time now

Ramblin dave 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

We use a lot of those flavoured cous-cous packets that you get in supermarkets, with additional stuff added (cheese, chorizo, nuts etc) to give it a bit of interest.

But it depends a lot on whether you're talking about the "carrying all your food" type of camping meals, or "hunched over a pocket rocket in a rainy campsite", or "sat at the dining table in your house-sized family tent". Pasta with stir-in sauce and maybe extra veggies is great if you're car camping, for instance, but I'm not going to cart half a dozen jars of Dolmio halfway across Scotland in a backpack...

Umfana 14 Mar 2022
In reply to Philip:

> On a proper fire, spatchcocked chicken cooks easily and quickly.

+1, learning how to quickly spatch a chook is a great skill to have.

I also highly rate a butterflied leg of lamb over a fire. Often with nothing more than a squeeze of lemon. Makes other campers green with envy though.

Really for me this depends on how long you are going for. Something really very sophisticated can be easy to cook at the camp if it is not several days into a trip and all the involved prep can be done at home.

Neil Williams 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Chilli, curry and spag bol are my standard Scout "in bulk" ones, but it depends what you're using, you need two burners to do a decent job of those.  Though I did once do chilli and rice for 3 using a Trangia 25, did it by boiling up the rice then wrapping it in a fleece to slow-cook then doing the rest of it.

Dave the Rave 14 Mar 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

For first night I always go homemade beef curry in a bag. Boil the curry in the bag and when warm cook the cous cous in the water. Add the cous cous to the bag and eat. No curry flavoured tea for the morning and easy washing up.

Pedro50 14 Mar 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

For car camping my favoured one-pot meal is risotto, very flexible ingredients.

Bottom Clinger 14 Mar 2022
In reply to chris_r:

> Pot Noodle, and a bottle of Malbec. Screw cap so I don't need a bottle opener. 

Wine box, removed from its box to save weight. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...