UKC

Shops that have a good range of climbing shoes between Bham and Leek?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Umfana 17 Mar 2022

G'day all,

Birmingham seems to be a bad place to buy climbing shoes. Not really it's fault, more likely mine for living somewhere so far from real climbing.

Are there any shops somewhere not too far from the route between Bham and the Roaches? Ideally a comprehensive Scarpa stockist but not dedicated to one brand. The UKC directory tells me that V12 has a shop at awesome walls in stoke - but apparently this was many years ago and no longer.

Thanks in advance...

Andy Hardy 17 Mar 2022
In reply to Umfana:

UKC directory also says the depot in Brum has a shop - worth a call?

In reply to Umfana:

Hey,

Depot Brum has a great selection of shoes as does Manchester Depot which would be a slight detour. Does Rock On still have a shop at Redpoint Brum? They do good shoes and very good service.

Outside in Hathersage is an obvious choice for breakfast and also a larger shoe selection that, dare I say it, caters for trad climbers slightly better.

If you heart is set on Scarpa it's good you know what works but I'd always say try loads on! when you're at a shop with a decent selection and experienced staff go nuts! 

SkirtingBoard 17 Mar 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Unfortunately Rock On at Redpoint has closed. I agree their service was good so it's a pity they closed. 

In reply to SkirtingBoard:

That is sad. For most climbers buying shoes shops in walls seem to be the best place to go for a comprehensive selection, the Depot guys especially are doing proper climbing shops.

I think of of the biggest traps though is walls not offering a good range of flat lasted, all round style shoes. 

Seems to go beginner shoes to high performance fairly swiftly!

OP Umfana 17 Mar 2022
In reply to Umfana:

Thanks all.

Hadn't thought of depot Brum (never been).

Yes the reason for my post is because of the demise of rockOn @Redpoint which would have been my go to. It seems a trip to Hathersage (there are worse places to HAVE to go to) is in order unless depot comes up to scratch.

Cake 17 Mar 2022
In reply to Umfana:

Depot in Sheffield stock lots of Scarpa, so I'd have thought the others will.

MischaHY 18 Mar 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> That is sad. For most climbers buying shoes shops in walls seem to be the best place to go for a comprehensive selection, the Depot guys especially are doing proper climbing shops.

> I think of of the biggest traps though is walls not offering a good range of flat lasted, all round style shoes. 

> Seems to go beginner shoes to high performance fairly swiftly!

It's worth pointing out that a shoe doesn't need to be flat lasted to be all round and comfortable. Examples are the Scarpa Veloce or Arpia. These soft comfy downturns are actually amazing for trad on grit/sandstone and less edgy granite. Katana VS is another one. These are IMO a better choice for all round mid grade as they perform well indoors and out. 

In reply to MischaHY:

Totally agree BUT it's preference, weight, ability etc etc. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...