UKC

Llanberis public transport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 18 Mar 2022

Hi Llanberis experts...a few of us are bringing our daughters up to Llanberis next weekend to do some climbing. We're planning on getting the train to Bangor and then doing the trip by public transport. Is this feasible...I know the bus from Llanberis to Pen y Pass is good but are other places (e.g. getting round to Ogwen perhaps...) accessible by public transport too? Also, is the journey from Bangor to Llanberis fairly straightforward? It looks from google as though it's quite a trek...in which case, are Taxis relatively accessible? Just trying to work out if we're better off getting hold of a car.

Thanks for any thoughts.

MisterPiggy 18 Mar 2022
In reply to Jim Houghton:

It was about for years ago... But I found it pretty easy to get a direct bus from downtown Bangor to Llanberis high street. I think there was one per hour. A double decker so great views there and back. I'm sure the internet could give you up to date schedules.

Have fun!!

Craigyardley 18 Mar 2022

Hey Jim,

when exactly are you planning on coming ? Buses are few and far between I think 3 per day at the moment. That will change come Easter. That’s the service from Llanberis up pen y pass I am talking about . Not sure what the Bangor timetable is . Taxis are very expensive in this area . I would suggest hiring a car if you wanted to travel to different areas. 

we live in Nant peris so have a good understanding of peoples predicaments with travel and public transport. 

Craig. 

AukWalk 18 Mar 2022

I guess you've already got the reply from the Llanberis experts, but just to chime in as well (as an occasional visitor rather than expert). I've looked up some of the bus timetables in the past, having wondered about the feasibility of public transport after reading another one of those news articles telling visitors to use public transport rather than drive. Short answer is it's pretty dire, even in the popular bits of North Snowdonia, let alone the less popular corners.

I think technically it is feasible to do your trip with public transport, but you will have to have short days and plan absolutely everything around not missing busses. I would get a car if you possibly can. 

I usually find Google maps pretty good for finding routes between places, but to let the public transport provider show themselves up have a look at the traveline website: https://www.traveline.cymru/journey-planner-results/?search=1&typeahead...

Using an example journey from Llanberis to Ogwen tomorrow you can see it takes between 1h30 and 2h45 to do the trip, waits between 1 and 2 hours between busses.

Driving takes about 25 minutes. 

Neil Williams 18 Mar 2022
In reply to AukWalk:

With regard to bus timetables, bustimes.org is a VERY useful site if you want to see what's available rather than planning a specific journey.  It's fed from the Government database of registered bus routes so is generally more accurate than even operators' own sites.

https://bustimes.org/search?q=llanberis

Ignore the Nottingham ones, I guess there must be a stop called "Llanberis Drive" on those routes or something.

Post edited at 14:49
OP Jim Houghton 18 Mar 2022

Thanks all. Seems pretty categorical. Car hire doesn't look straightforward either... Seems bringing a car is the best option. 

George_Surf 18 Mar 2022

Public transport in north Wales is a bit of a nightmare! Nothing really links up very well and if it’s not on either of the main train lines (only Tremadog is?) then it can be pretty faffy or even near enough impossible...

Yep, wise old snpa carry on crowing about banishing cars but as yet they've done a sum total of jack shit to precipitate the instigation of any viable alternative. You'll need a car if you want to divide your time such that you'll be able to call a climbing weekend. 

Craigyardley 18 Mar 2022
In reply to George_Surf:

You can hire a car in Bangor. They will pick you up from the train station. Hertz or europacar in caeathro . 

tobykeep 19 Mar 2022

I don't think it's that bad! There are fewer buses than there used to be, but they still run and it would be great to have people using them more! Buses from Bangor Station to Llanberis and back run through the day (although not early and late, and require a bit of planning to avoid waiting). Nos. 85/86 ( https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/en/Residents/Parking-roads-and-travel/Bus-ti... ).

The S2 Sherpa runs 5 times a day from Llanberis, via Pen y Pass to Betws y Coed at reasonably convenient times (also in link above). Harder to get round to Ogwen, but some good routes on the Glyderau from the S2 route. Taxis are generally pretty available, but can be expensive.

There are other bus routes which might be useful, towards Beddgelert, etc.

I think it would be fine to do a trip combining train, bus and taxis where required.

I find the buses pretty reliable in general, although driver sickness might affect this at the moment.

Feel free to DM if you need any more details. It would be great to have more people coming on public transport!

Post edited at 08:07
 fred99 19 Mar 2022
In reply to Craigyardley:

> You can hire a car in Bangor. They will pick you up from the train station. Hertz or europacar in caeathro . 

And what's the difference (as regards vehicles in Snowdonia) from driving all the way in a car you haven't had to pay extra for ?

Noting of course that any Public transport to (and from) Bangor will cost much the same as the fuel to drive, but will take a lot more time at both ends of the trip.

In reply to tobykeep:

There's also the T10 service that runs from Bangor Station to Corwen through the Ogwen. We live in Bethesda and have used it a few times. £3 return if I remember rightly 

tobykeep 31 Mar 2022
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Too late now, but more news on buses around Llanberis/Caernarfon/Bangor - https://www.thebmc.co.uk/eryri-gets-substantial-upgrade-in-bus-services-for...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...