UKC

Milan-San Remo won with a dropper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 19 Mar 2022

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mohoric-ive-destroyed-cycling-now-everyone...

I’d never even heard of a dropper seat post before. I can’t see it will catch on, but then nobody ever imagined sprinters would wear a skin suit all day on a grand tour stage, or drive 10m behind a time trialist with a roof rack full of bikes!

Yanis Nayu 19 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

I suspect the proximity of the motorbike in front of him and his balls of steel had as much to do with it. 

In reply to ablackett:

Dropper posts are quite common in MTB. Lots of MTB innovation has made its way into road biking.

mondite 20 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

> I’d never even heard of a dropper seat post before. I can’t see it will catch on

They are handy for being able to switch between efficient seated position and being able to throw the bike around (or drop down low for roadies) when out of the saddle. Given how easy it is to hit the minimum weight limit for the bikes I can see why going for a dropper makes sense.

DaveHK 20 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

Such a great race yesterday.

GrahamD 20 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

The neutral service bikes in grand tours have them, I think.

GrahamD 20 Mar 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Fair chance a Slovenian would win - just not expecting that one !

OP ablackett 20 Mar 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Has anyone (other than Froome) ever used a neutral service bike? I assumed they were just a sponsor thing, not intended to be used.

I know when Froome tried his shoes didn’t match the pedals so he couldn’t clip in. That seems a bigger issue than the seat post being the wrong height.

Fellover 20 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

Now that the supertuck is banned I think there's a strong chance dropper posts will become fairly common in the pro peleton. Mohoric is exactly the sort of rider I'd expect to use one, famous for being a great (the best?) descender and using the supertuck lots before it was banned.

Amazing effort to get away on the descent.

ChrisJD 21 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

> I’d never even heard of a dropper seat post before. I can’t see it will catch on

Have you been cycling under a rock for the last decade?

ianstevens 21 Mar 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

Probably just on a road, where droppers aren't (weren't) a thing. UCI will ban them anyway I suspect.

compost 21 Mar 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> Probably just on a road, where droppers aren't (weren't) a thing. UCI will ban them anyway I suspect.

"The UCI Equipment Commission approved the use of dropper seatposts in road cycling competitions in 2014. Their use is subject to the minimum 5cm setback rule of article 1.3.013 of the UCI Regulations, i.e., when the dropper seatpost is set to its highest or lowest setting, the saddle setback must be in full compliance with article 1.3.013."

https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/uci-statement-concerning-dropper-seatposts...

It's going to be fascinating to see people looking for a competitive advantage with these - great descenders like Mohoric and Nibali could benefit and terrible descenders like Pinot could benefit. My be is that this is a wake-up call and suddenly altitude training camps will include dropper descending training and they'll be rolled out on stages where a fast technical descent is involved.

65 21 Mar 2022
In reply to compost:

I don't know why the appearance of droppers on road race bikes never occurred to me. It seems so obvious after the UCI banned the top tube tuck. Speeds will go up, similar or better aero but a lot more control. I think we will see records being smashed on the big descents. The Moto-camera crew will need to be on their toes! 

nniff 21 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

I can see them becoming common.  A lot of pro bikes have added weight somewhere low down to bring them up to the minimum.  JLT Condor, for example, used to use 105 instead of dura-ace cassettes to bring the weight up (and keep costs down)

In reply to ablackett:

Absolutely game changing for MTB.

Wee Davie 23 Mar 2022
In reply to ablackett:

Anything that makes bikes easier to ride hard will be popular in competition unless they are arbitrarily banned. Droppers are a simple well -proven technology from 150 years of office chairs. If they can engineer these posts super light and reliable they will be a game changer for long hairpin descent hairpins on the road for the pro and the amateur. They totally transform any mtb.

Ramblin dave 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Wee Davie:

> Droppers are a simple well -proven technology from 150 years of office chairs.

If racing down alpine passes on swivel chairs isn't a thing yet, someone needs to suggest it to Red Bull.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...