UKC

Helmet suggestions for wide heads?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Turnbull 20 Mar 2022

So I've tried on a load of helmets in the shop and owned a few different ones and it seems like I've got a really wide head. My head isn't very large, on paper I should probably be a S/M in most helmets but all the ones I've tried on squeeze above my ears. This isn't very comfortable and I end up getting a headache once I've had it on for more than a few minutes. But if I try wearing a larger size I have to adjust it down as small as it will go and then it wobbles about and covers my eyes. Not ideal.

I've tried on most Petzl and Black Diamond models as well as the Mammut Wallrider.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on different helmet models?

Ta

Kryank 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Jack Turnbull:

Hi mate,

I have a big head and the only helmet that I have found works for me was the BD Vapor.

but if you have tried that on then I am all out of suggestions sorry.

scotthldr 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Jack Turnbull

I too also fall into the too much brains category. and find most helmets too tight. I eventually purchased a Rock Dynamo Helmet which fits comfortable onto my napper.

https://www.talkingheadsets.co.uk/product/dynamo-en12492-climbing-helmet/

https://www.rockhelmets.com/en/

Just make sure you get the EN12492 version 

biggianthead 21 Mar 2022

Black Diamond Vector

duchessofmalfi 21 Mar 2022
In reply to biggianthead:

The big yellow grivel ones fit those with basket ball shaped heads

Simon2005 21 Mar 2022

Another vote for the Grivel.

IainMay 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Kryank:

Totally agree, I have a massive head and this is the only one that fits. But it fits really well, I love it!

Jenny C 21 Mar 2022

I have a small head and find the opposite, in that a lot of helmets apply pressure to the forehead whilst being lose over the ears. I think the problem is that fancy modern adjustment systems don't really work if you are at either extreme of the sizing range.

I have found that the old style cradle helmets generally offer the best fit as you just adjust the band size, which can then follow the actual shape to your skull. I use Edelrid Ultralight, very dated/heavy by modern standards but comes up OK on safety tests and is comfy.

ben b 22 Mar 2022

My old climbing partner had a huge head; many years back the only one that fitted him was (I think) an HB bright orange monstrosity that made him look like an Italian fireman. Thanks god times have changed....

I have a large head and similarly had an old Joe Brown kevlar fibreglass/kevlar model - major plus that it can be used as pro in off widths. More recently, I found the Ecrin fitted OK (it never did in the 90s). I suspect the moulds change over decades. 

You are doing the right thing by just trying them on until one feels OK. 

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...