UKC

Solo wild camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lewis Mc 21 Mar 2022

Decided to try solo wild camping for the first time up in Snowdonia, just before Y Garn, I made a short video documenting the little adventure. If your interested in seeing how it went you can watch on YouTube the link is below

youtube.com/watch?v=zF8xAB_zqZ4&

it was rather cold but super fun and the views were amazing.

Have a great day everyone  

Moacs 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

Dude.

Don't say "super fun" and,

If you must "wild camp" at Y Garn, DON'T PUT IT ON THE INTERNET

Tony Buckley 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Moacs:

What you said.  Except without calling anyone "Dude".

T.

Moacs 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Yes. I was trying to connect!

compost 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

Assuming you did what you're legally required to do and got permission from the landowner, is the landowner happy that you're publicising their land on the internet as a "super fun" adventure and likely (though I'm not watching the video) trying to encourage others to do the same?

compost 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

Are you the guy who was flying drones over Malham Cove the other week?

In reply to Lewis Mc:

If you want to do this, just do it. Leave no trace of your having been there, and don't tell anyone about it. 

tehmarks 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

'Leave no trace' really does need expanding in understanding into 'leave no trace, including online', doesn't it?

In reply to tehmarks:

Yes. Good point.

tehmarks 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

I got roundly criticised for saying this the last time, but it still doesn't sit right with me when people's sole contributions to the forum are to push their content. The cynic in me can't help but think that you're here only to boost your YouTube stats.

OP Lewis Mc 21 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

I am new to the forum, and im honestly out hiking and walking a lot and then compiling my videos, I started my channel to encourage people to get out in nature and explore and do photography. I am a climber and when I started putting my videos together people and my friends told me to post on this forum. I don't just do this for views, if you watch my videos you'll see im all about showing off the environments we live in, it seems all I do however is upset people by doing this, so I am going to stop putting things on here. 

im still going to be on the forum I just won't ever post any of my own content again. 

olddirtydoggy 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

Welcome to UKC.

tehmarks 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

I only say that because the only thing you have ever posted is your own content.

Tony Buckley 21 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

There seem to me to be two areas in which you're failing; easily addressed, but which raise hackles amongst many forum members. 

The first is ignorance, as in flying a drone in an area and at a time when that shouldn't be happening and in promoting the location of a wild camp.  Ignorance can be overcome, of course, but researching things such as laws about and restrictions on use of drones should be part of your due diligence whilst planning a project, as should the unwritten but widely accepted codes of behaviour such as not promoting wild camp locations.  

The second is using the forums only for promotion of your own content.  If that's all you want to do, take out an advert.  If you want to engage in the forums more generally you'll be welcomed and then, after a little while, subtly promoting your new content will be accepted.  Not explicitly, as you have done, but if you put a link in your profile and just flag up that there's something new there then those who are interested will find it.

So I wouldn't go off in a huff too quickly.  There's help here, and advice and knowledge about pretty much everything you can conceive, as well as a bucketload of opinions and debate ranging from friendly knockabouts to much more serious stuff.  You're welcome to pitch in.

Hope to see you on here again.

T.

Philb1950 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

Yawn!

kedvenc72 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Are you not allowed to fly drones in Snowdonia? Just interested as looked it up and official line is you need a flyer ID and an operator ID.

Tony Buckley 22 Mar 2022
In reply to kedvenc72:

That was relating to comments made on a previous post of his about Malham Cove; but yes, I perhaps could have made that more obvious.

T.

ExiledScot 22 Mar 2022
In reply to kedvenc72:

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code/where-you-can-fly

Consider the number of people, ground clearance and low flying aircraft in snowdonia. 

kedvenc72 22 Mar 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

Why is this relevant? I don't see anywhere in the video where these laws are broken (?). Im not a drone lover, if anything the opposite, but prefer to remain with proven facts.

craig h 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

"I don't just do this for views"

Can I ask why you share a link then to your Goontube site, you'll be one of the first if it was not for likes and shares!

Solo wild camping is fantastic, you post these videos all you do is kill that opportunity for the people who do it for the right reason. Your 24.06 minutes of footage and a couple of likes and shares is no the right reason in my opinion and you have not grasped the concept of why people choose to solo wild camp.

ExiledScot 22 Mar 2022
In reply to kedvenc72:

you need the permission of the land owner to take off or land on their property?

midgen 22 Mar 2022

> I am new to the forum, and im honestly out hiking and walking a lot and then compiling my videos, I started my channel to encourage people to get out in nature and explore and do photography. I am a climber and when I started putting my videos together people and my friends told me to post on this forum. I don't just do this for views, if you watch my videos you'll see im all about showing off the environments we live in, it seems all I do however is upset people by doing this, so I am going to stop putting things on here.  

This is a lot more believable if your aren't monetising your videos.

Nothing wrong with wanting to get views and earn money off your content! The dishonesty irks me though.

I have watched a few of your videos actually, the content is good! Maybe don't publish wild camping spots though and be a bit more tactful with your promotion.

Post edited at 20:41
 ExiledScot 22 Mar 2022
In reply to kedvenc72:

if they are monetising their filming then it's commercial and the requirements to fly in the np increase. 

Dark-Cloud 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Moacs:

There is hundreds of solo wild camping videos on YouTube, one guy in particular who acts like he's the first person to do it, i'm not going to mention usernames but they are massively entertaining for the wrong reason to me, its all "guys look at this" "its super cold guys" "guys this is super remote" "was super windy last night guys" "well that's it guys i'm back at the car" all i see is "super cringe" i'm all for people getting out and about but the YouTube and Instagram movement is the wrong way of doing it.

Myfyr Tomos 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

This is the SNPA guidance on drones within the park. Please note the additional National Trust rules.    https://www.snowdonia.gov.wales/authority/news-and-media/using-drones

Bob Kemp 23 Mar 2022

In reply to: Tony Buckley

> The first is ignorance, as in flying a drone in an area and at a time when that shouldn't be happening and in promoting the location of a wild camp.  Ignorance can be overcome, of course, but researching things such as laws about and restrictions on use of drones should be part of your due diligence whilst planning a project, as should the unwritten but widely accepted codes of behaviour such as not promoting wild camp locations.  

It seems that attitudes to wild camping have changed on UKC over the years. I just had a look at a few older posts on the topic and people seemed much more willing to share locations in the past. I have a feeling this is largely driven by a sense that outdoor activities are under threat in a number of ways, so we are becoming more sensitive to possible issues.

galpinos 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I think this stems from the fact what once felt like sharing within a small community of like minded souls after the same experience as "we" sought, now feels like that space has been invaded by people intent on exploiting that by monetising it via social media and risking the future of wild camping. What used to be "word of mouth" now leads to honeypotting for instagram likes.

You're not a wild camping social media pro until you have both "wild camped" on Baslow Edge and been moved on by the gamekeepers.

Post edited at 10:46
 Georgert 23 Mar 2022
In reply to galpinos:

Exactly this. Also, can't help but wonder if this 'commodification' isn't directly linked to shite like this: https://twitter.com/LakesWeather/status/1506301553115811840/photo/1

Yes, the outdoors is for everyone. But no – it will not survive if we don't radically change the way it's talked about and accessed. 

Post edited at 10:59
 ExiledScot 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Most people don't want to arrive at their favourite spot to find abandoned cheap tents, disposable bbqs, broken glass and other litter.

DaveHK 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Georgert:

> Exactly this. Also, can't help but wonder if this 'commodification' isn't directly linked to shite like this: https://twitter.com/LakesWeather/status/1506301553115811840/photo/1

I don't think we can really say that's due to the increased commodification of the outdoors because stuff like that has always happened.

Bob Kemp 23 Mar 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

I think maybe I'm thinking of a different kind of wild camping, not this 'not on a campsite so it's wild' imitation I assume you're referring to.

Bob Kemp 23 Mar 2022
In reply to galpinos:

You're probably right. Couple this with legislative threats like changes to the law of trespass and the like and it's understandable that people become wary and keen to protect what we have. 

ExiledScot 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Bob Kemp:

of course, wild is a varied term these days, wild to me is somewhere a few hours walk from a road. To others it 200m from their car boot. 

My brother is in a wild camping club, they caravan on sites that might only have a toilet and a water tap, I thought he was joking at first. 

tagscuderia 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

I camped Sunday night, llyn-side ~550m somewhere in the Rhinogs. Which I guess makes it "wild," and I was solo! Didn't weigh my pack but walked (sorry... hiked!) 18-ish miles Sunday-Monday, all without seeing a soul. Is that of interest to anybody? No? Didn't think so

Speaking to volunteers litter-picking in Ogwen, it does appear that YouTube is driving an increase in "wild camping," however most of it within 30 minutes of the car parks/lay-bys. OOH the jeopardy of adventure! I don't care, but for the vast amount of litter and campfires, so why not just use a campsite? Makes for a tame video I guess... ?

kedvenc72 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

What we got here, y'all, is a good 'ol fashioned UKC hangin. YEEEEEE HAWWW, PEW PEW PEW PEW..

ExiledScot 23 Mar 2022
In reply to kedvenc72:

What's amazing is that people think there aren't enough videos or images of the hills online already and theirs is the one everyone needs! 

Derry 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

> I am a climber and when I started putting my videos together people and my friends told me to post on this forum.  

Your friends don't know the shark cage that is the UKC forums then! One wrong word and 'POW' you're in downvote city. 

Toccata 25 Mar 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

I do find it peculiar how much effort people put into telling strangers what they are up to. I have been camping (the olden days term for solo wild camping)  since the mid 80s. When I was 15 there was an excitement in camping alone in the wilds (which was often Fairley Moor or Eaglesham moor). By the time I got to 18 the camping was accommodation to facilitate biking/climbing/walking and more a pleasure than an objective. I’m not sure I’ve ever wanted to tell a stranger I camped last night on a hill.

if you are trying to make money, well, on you go. But if you really love ‘wild camping’ then concentrate on enjoying it rather than wasting the tranquility on making a film. One of UKCs finest (Streapadair) has spent more time than most asleep in the hills and all I know about it is a sequence of brilliant pictures and sage posts (and one brilliant podcast about the woman in Camasunary). That’s how to show you love the hills.

Myr 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

Clearly social media has driven some people to engage in picturesque outdoor activities not for their own sake, but rather to generate valuable social media content. I think this is quite depressing in that it promotes a more superficial, conformist, narrow outdoor experience - driven by impressing others, rather than seeking one's own adventure.

However, it clearly gets some people into the outdoors (both content creators and consumers) who wouldn't otherwise, and not everyone who creates social media content is solely motivated by that.

Ultimately though, this new trend is just another new manifestation of an old concept: the drive to impress others has always motivated big deeds in outdoor recreation.

Mick Ward 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Toccata:

>  One of UKCs finest (Streapadair) has spent more time than most asleep in the hills and all I know about it is a sequence of brilliant pictures and sage posts (and one brilliant podcast about the woman in Camasunary). That’s how to show you love the hills.

Agreed. And Camasunary... well you wouldn't be human if that didn't touch your soul. 

Mick 

The New NickB 26 Mar 2022

Mixed feelings about this comment. I'm not a big fan of this sort of YouTube content, but the "don't tell anyone about it" line seems odd from a celebrated outdoor writer and photographer.

In reply to The New NickB:

Nothing to stop people sharing their enthusiasms for the great outdoors and photography; I was referring specifically to talking about camping in the wild where it's either not allowed or definitely not encouraged.

ExiledScot 26 Mar 2022

I think mostly it's utter c*ap, unless it's a specific presentation of a rarely climbed route you're interested in, or a collection of images combined with a talk from an expedition then 99% of youtube, insta... is bilge, it might was well be the insistent aunty trying to show you 100 photos of the same costa beach, swimming pool and this was the breakfast buffet, our lounger was here and on and on it goes. 

Neil Williams 26 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

> 'Leave no trace' really does need expanding in understanding into 'leave no trace, including online', doesn't it?

No.  If you don't want to watch it, don't.

All I would say is that giving away specific locations is probably a bad plan, and they should push good practices, e.g. pitch late/strike early, and if you get caught you were doing it wrong.

Trangia 26 Mar 2022
In reply to Lewis Mc:

I never understand why people post requests for recommendations of "good" wild camping spots, and I am reluctant to divulge such information, because, yes, I am being selfish - the very reason they are so magical is because few people know about them. Isn't studying maps in detail, and seeking out such locations all part of the fun of "wild" camping? So why don't people looking for such spots get out there and explore for themselves? Of course you will get disappointments when reality doesn't match up with expectations, but that all part of the fun of the game.

ExiledScot 26 Mar 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

it reminds of when trail magazine published the locations of secret bivi sites. Peoples desperation to say something, rather than nothing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...