UKC

Clogwyn Ddu'r Arddu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 glyn gruffudd 22 Mar 2022

Using Cloggy instead of Clogwyn Ddu'r Arddu is disrespectful and further erodes the indigenous name which eventually lead to its demise, as has happened so many times elsewhere. Failure to pronounce names in other languages should not be justification to anglicise and adopt new, more convenient place names. Does this happen elsewhere, alps, pyrenees etc ?? I doubt it.

planetmarshall 22 Mar 2022
In reply to glyn gruffudd:

1/10.

galpinos 22 Mar 2022

Font? The Ben? The Buckle? 

The Peaks

profitofdoom 22 Mar 2022
In reply to planetmarshall:

> 1/10.

Harsh? 2/10

tagscuderia 22 Mar 2022

Surely "Cloggy" is more an endearing abbreviation versus anglicised? Yr Wyddfa is an endearing abbreviation too, I forget the original but it's akin to The Tumulus of Rhita Gawr. Not so catchy/marketable?

And Glyderau (as one example) certainly sounds more impressive than Pile of Stones, so the Welsh names won't disappear

David Alcock 22 Mar 2022

It would have been better if you'd spelled it correctly. 

jimtitt 22 Mar 2022
In reply to David Alcock:

And capitalised proper nouns. Disrespect indeed!

Dave Garnett 22 Mar 2022
In reply to galpinos:

> Font? The Ben? The Buckle? 

Cham? The Dollies? The Gunks?

Robert Durran 22 Mar 2022
In reply to galpinos:

Indeed. All dreadful. I do, on occasion, find myself referring to Ben Nevis as "The Ben", but hate myself for it afterwards.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Cham? The Dollies? The Gunks?

Also all horrible. 

"Cloggy" is ALWAYS said with love and affection so hardly disrespectful.

But then I don't think you are being serious.

Post edited at 16:31
 Pedro50 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Gash I, II or III is pretty vile.

SiWood 22 Mar 2022

Do you mean Cloggy just above Flamberis ?

In reply to Pedro50:

> Gash I, II or III is pretty vile.

Indeed. Though not as offensive as The 'Gorms.

ebdon 22 Mar 2022

I raise you 'the norries'

Allthough I would happily beat someone to death with their own limbs for using it  I'm not sure if its symbolic of the English colonial oppressors evil subjugation of Scotland

Iamgregp 22 Mar 2022

Font.

In reply to ebdon:

> I raise you 'the norries'

Not sure about that. "The Norries" is so comically awful that I think a lot of its use (except amongst the most unredeemably ignorant) is probably ironic. "The 'Gorms", on the other hand, smacks of aspirational smug knowingness, which is why I find it particularly offensive. More so than "The Coe", though that is certainly bad enough.

Carless 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

Agreed - how on earth can anyone call it anything except Bleau

Neil Williams 22 Mar 2022

As North Wales is basically a commuter suburb of and play area for Liverpool, there's barely anything in Liverpool that doesn't get abbreviated with a "y" on the end of it.  Go to the market in Ormy (Ormskirk), get chips from the chippy and so on.  In some ways surprised Snowdon doesn't get "Snowy", let alone Yr Wyddfa.

That offensive (and only partly accurate) enough?

If you don't agree, perhaps listen to some Half Man Half Biscuit and then you might...

Post edited at 18:11
 Moacs 22 Mar 2022

> Indeed. Though not as offensive as The 'Gorms.

I thought the Gorms were the indigenous people?

jcw 22 Mar 2022

Ridiculous, see my picture entitled Cloggy Mon Amour to express my love and affection for my favourite crag which has given me more pleasure than any other in the UK

65 22 Mar 2022

> Does this happen elsewhere, alps, pyrenees etc ?? 

I have heard one person refer to the 'knees.' You will be glad to know that he is now composting in multiple undisclosed and correctly pronounced locations.

Michael Hood 22 Mar 2022
In reply to ebdon:

> I raise you 'the norries'

You've lost me on that one - only thing I can think of is Northern Corries - but surely not because that would make it an abomination rather than an inelegant abbreviation.

ebdon 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

I'm very sorry to let you know that you are correct. The horror!

In reply to 65:

> I have heard one person refer to the 'knees.' You will be glad to know that he is now composting in multiple undisclosed and correctly pronounced locations.

I trust that you kept him alive while amputating his limbs without anaesthetic before beating him to death with them. Slowly. 

In reply to Carless:

> Agreed - how on earth can anyone call it anything except Bleau

I thought that the really smug cognoscenti referred to it cryptically simply as "the forest". 

alan moore 22 Mar 2022

Hey! There's only one Forest!

In reply to alan moore:

> Hey! There's only one Forest!

Precisely. Those boulderers are not only smug but utterly ignorant.

gribble 22 Mar 2022

Stanage Edge.

Sorry. 

Chris_Mellor 22 Mar 2022

Oh for God's sake go and get a life. Cloggy is an afectionate way odf referring to a wonderful cliff.

Post edited at 20:31
In reply to Carless:

Is that a contraction of Blaenau Ffestiniog?

In reply to Chris_Mellor:

> Oh for God's sake go and get a life. Cloggy is an afectionate way odf referring to a wonderful cliff.

Yes, right from the earliest days of climbing there in the 1920s.

> I thought that the really smug cognoscenti referred to it cryptically simply as "the forest". 

I've never heard a climber calling it anything other than Font.

Doug 22 Mar 2022
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

My French friends call it 'bleau or la Forêt

In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

> Is that a contraction of Blaenau Ffestiniog?

... which locals typically refer to simply as Blaenau. Almost never the full name.

In reply to Doug:

Yes, I should have said English climbers.

65 22 Mar 2022

Of course. I'm offended that you even had to ask.

Rick Graham 22 Mar 2022

Clogwyn Du'r Arddu if you please , according to the OS and UKC logbooks.

ianstevens 22 Mar 2022

Agreed. Whoever says Cham or Dollies should be banned from ever going IMO.

ianstevens 22 Mar 2022
In reply to SiWood:

> Do you mean Cloggy just above Flamberis ?

You mean Clanberis?

ianstevens 22 Mar 2022

> ... which locals typically refer to simply as Blaenau. Almost never the full name.

I always preferred “that shithole” myself 

rsc 22 Mar 2022

Would an actual Welsh speaker mix up “D” and  “Dd” - two different sounds?

rachelpearce01 22 Mar 2022

Life’s too short to be saying clogwyn ddu’r arddu! Next you’ll be telling me that you don’t say llanfair pg 😅

65 22 Mar 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

> You mean Clanberis?

Is it not just known as The Pass?

In reply to rachelpearce01:

Llanfair PG is such good example. Also, I wonder how many people who insist we should say the whole of Clogwyn du'r Arddu can pronounce it correctly? Very roughly: 'Cloggwin dear arthe-ee'.

jcw 22 Mar 2022

Then you are a  Brexit ignoramus who only knows what the English called it when finally they discovered Bleau. I remember taking Ken Wilson climbing there and his marveling how come we don't know about this. Stick with your Harrison's which I presume you do know something about and leave Bleau to the French who have been climbing there since the 1920s

Andy Hardy 22 Mar 2022
In reply to planetmarshall:

Reckon you've called it right (and early too!) Lots of responses, but none from the gruffalo.

In reply to jcw:

> Then you are a  Brexit ignoramus who only knows what the English called it when finally they discovered Bleau. I remember taking Ken Wilson climbing there and his marveling how come we don't know about this. Stick with your Harrison's which I presume you do know something about and leave Bleau to the French who have been climbing there since the 1920s

A lot to correct here. I haven't climbed at Harrison's for about 25 years. Nea Morin, who was a keen Harrison's explorer/developer in the 1930s had already been climbing at Fontainebleau and this was what encouraged her to climb at Harrison's in the 30s. I started climbing at Harrison's at the age of 16, in 1966/7. Certainly by the end of the 60s we were hearing a lot from other Harrison's climbers about Fontainebleau, who'd been there, and even then it was typically being abbreviated as 'Font'. BTW, I saw Nea Morin climbing quite a lot at Harrison's in the late 60s. One of her party pieces was soloing Isolated Buttress Climb. Finally, I am and always have been, since 2015, a Remainer, totally opposed to the anti-European Brexit project.

PS. I was a close friend of dear old Ken Wilson, and we even climbed briefly at Font together, en route to the Trento Film Festival in c.1974.

PS2. I think I remember some English climbers at that time referring to Fontainebleau as 'the Blow', but I think they were in a minority. Certainly by the mid-70s everyone on s/e sandstone was referring to it as Font.

PS3. Quite a few ignorant s/e sandstoners in the 70s actually talked about 'Font-en-blur', as if it ended in 'bleu', and not noticing the 'eau' and the 'aine' bit.

Post edited at 22:41
 65 22 Mar 2022
In reply to jcw:

> Then you are a  Brexit ignoramus 

Unwarranted. You owe Gordon an apology, even if he was wrong. 

Post edited at 22:39
 jcw 22 Mar 2022
In reply to 65:

It was meant to be and slightly tongue in cheek as I know perfectly well Gordon is not a Brexiter.

65 22 Mar 2022
In reply to jcw:

Ah, OK.

And aren't Fontainebleau grades always referred to as Font grades?

In reply to jcw:

My god, UKC forums are so uphill. So often it's like fighting one's way up a very steep, loose, dreary scree slope. To no great purpose. Scarcely worth the bother.

In reply to John Stainforth:

Yes, I'm sure so.

I suppose if we called them the Cairns you would think that was rather gormless!

Surely one of the nicest shortened names in the climbing world has to be the Gunks?

'Cloggy' was probably coined by some of the great early pioneers, like Longland and Kirkus, but it might even date back to the Abrahams.

Post edited at 22:55
 Mike-W-99 22 Mar 2022

> I suppose if we called them the Cairns you would think that was rather gormless!

And shouldn't we be calling them the Monadh Ruadh anyway?

Off to do a few routes in the Rooies?

Also in America, Joshua Tree is often called "Josh" and El Capitan in Yosemite is almost always El Cap.

In reply to 65:

> Is it not just known as The Pass?

No, when you are in 'The Pass' you pop down to 'Beris'

Dave Garnett 23 Mar 2022

> Also in America, Joshua Tree is often called "Josh" 

Or J-Tree, or just ´J’.  Remember J-rat?

Dave Garnett 23 Mar 2022
In reply to jcw:

> It was meant to be and slightly tongue in cheek as I know perfectly well Gordon is not a Brexiter.

Yes, I’m assuming you two know each other.  If not, I should introduce you!

65 23 Mar 2022
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> No, when you are in 'The Pass' you pop down to 'Beris'

Not Llan b?

To be honest, if I ever refer to The Pass, it's the Ballater one.

Bulls Crack 23 Mar 2022

Chill out and come bouldering at Stan. 

cb294 23 Mar 2022

Bleau on the continent,

CB

Robert Durran 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Chill out and come bouldering at Stan. 

Don't you mean The 'age? Maybe you are not in the right clique.

Pfft, whatever. Anyone want to join me at Stanny Ps for a sick crush sesh on deliverance?

65 23 Mar 2022

It just occurred to me that years ago I declined an invitation from friends in Cambridge to go to the Gogs. I thought the Gog Magogs weren't worth getting out of bed for, little did I realise that they were going to various sea cliffs on Anglesey. 

Alkis 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Stuart Williams:

> Pfft, whatever. Anyone want to join me at Stanny Ps for a sick crush sesh on deliverance?

*Deli

In reply to 65:

> It just occurred to me that years ago I declined an invitation from friends in Cambridge to go to the Gogs. I thought the Gog Magogs weren't worth getting out of bed for, little did I realise that they were going to various sea cliffs on Anglesey. 

Yes, the Gog Magog Hills must be strong contenders for the lamest set of named hills on the planet!

deepsoup 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Stuart William:

Eh? Deliverance is at Plantation, not Pop. It's too hot for grit this week anyway, I'm going to The P.

GrahamD 24 Mar 2022

> Yes, the Gog Magog Hills must be strong contenders for the lamest set of named hills on the planet!

Oy, leave our hills alone, bully.

In reply to deepsoup:

Correct... and Plantation begins with a P, no?

tehmarks 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Stuart Williams:

You are confused. Everyone knows that Plantation is known as The Plant.

TheGeneralist 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Carless:

Thank God. I thought I was alone in detesting it when people ( mainly kids) mix up the grading system with the venue.

TheGeneralist 24 Mar 2022

> Also in America, Joshua Tree is often called "Josh" and El Capitan in Yosemite is almost always El Cap.

Bollocks  they call it J Tree

Bulls Crack 24 Mar 2022

Oh dear...I'll stick to Heppy

In reply to TheGeneralist:

> Bollocks  they call it J Tree

Goodness me, UKC has become so contrarian!

I have lived in America for twenty five years, and have visited J Tree probably about thirty times and climbed with numerous American climbers. A majority use the nickname "Josh" (about as frequently as British climbers use the name Cloggy for the Black Cliff) although J-Tree is also quite common.

Seeing this as a challenge, I grabbed a book at random - Rock Jocks, Wall Rats and Hang Dogs by John Long... and in one of his first mentions of J Tree he says: '"Josh", as the monument is known to climbers, is a flat arid sweep of high desert...'. Later in the book, John Long has another reference in which he says '... I was the first one to start soloing at Josh, and had, in fact, introduced Bachar to the art several years before'. Then I grabbed one of my guidebooks to rock climbing at J Tree and it says, in the Introduction: 'Trad climbing, though, is where Josh really shines!'

timjones 24 Mar 2022
In reply to galpinos:

They're all pretty naff, do your toes curl when you say them

In reply to GrahamD:

> Oy, leave our hills alone, bully.

Don't worry. Having conquered their summit, which is at a lofty 74 m amsl (rising from surroundings that are are 20 m), I  am in no particular hurry to go back!

deepsoup 24 Mar 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

> You are confused. Everyone knows that Plantation is known as The Plant.

Just so. Nobody bothers to say which Plant, so the p in Stanny P clearly stands for Pop*.  (I have no idea what the p in The P stands for.)

* Ie: from the Plant along the crag towards the Burbs, and away from the Neb

RBonney 24 Mar 2022
In reply to timjones:

What about calling Malham badpork? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...