UKC

Wadi Rum 2022

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GaryK 22 Mar 2022

Can anyone pass on tips, (or links to other webpages), for the Wadi Rum area on the following subjects; travel from Akabar, accommodation in Wadi Rum village, how to pay for stuff - (cash, plastic etc), belay conditions - (bolts, pegs, tat etc), how much tat to take, rope lengths - (for trad) and any opinions on favourite routes.

We have the Howard guide, but it's now a bit dated, so anything more recent would be greatly appreciated. I realise that all advice will be pre-Covid, but it would be useful anyway. Thanks in advance for contributions.

Nathan Adam 22 Mar 2022
In reply to GaryK:

Plenty decent mid price accommodation in the village staying with locals, we stayed with a fella called Hamdan at his compound in 2020 and ate food at Abu Ali's at the entrance to the village. I had a look for some similar accommodation earlier this year and struggled outwith the usual tourist spots marketing more to the desert "traveler" than someone looking for something cheap. I think it'd be more than possible to turn up without any bookings and find somewhere within the day, such is Middle Eastern hospitality. 

We used cash each day to pay for stuff and there is some food shops (think Spar style) around and a few decent places to eat serving up the usual stuff (falafel, hummus, bread, meats and rice etc). We went straight from the airport on arriving in Aqaba at 3am, a brief chat with any taxi driver will get you there within a few hours and cost us in the region of 50JD but likely a bit more expensive now so couldn't say exactly what to expect. 

In terms of routes you're really spoiled for choice. There's everything from huge scrambles to out and out alpine rock climbs on big committing faces. Most of the fixed equipment on the popular routes seemed in good condition when we used it, big hefty chains on glue ins but occasionally some naff bits with drilled pegs popular (as a money saver I assume). Can personally recommend Flight of Fancy (E2,5b), The Beauty (E2,5c ish with one hard move you can't aid), Inferno (E2,5b) and the Star of Abu Judaidh (E1 with 2PA or about E3 free but there's good drilled pegs). Beyond that, Merlins Wand, Lionheart and The Pillar of Wisdom all seem to be the other go for routes. 60m ropes totally fine for all the pitches/abseils we did and usually a bit of excess each time. The Howard guide is old but functional, and works well for the style of routes that are there as they don't need detailed descriptions.

It's a really magical place, the only thing missing is often an after climbing beer but in all honesty I enjoyed winding down and getting away from that side of life and felt pretty refreshed after being there for 10 days, although my fingers weren't thanking me.

Enjoy it, it's proper world class. 

Post edited at 21:33
OP GaryK 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Nathan Adam:

Hi Nathan,

Many thanks for the huge amount of beta. I'm really looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Gary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...