UKC

John Appleby RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've just seen it announced by Liam Appleby (his son?) that John Appleby, who ran the 'blogazine' Footless Crow, died tragically yesterday of 'a climbing accident' he had last Friday. I did not know him well, never met him, but corresponded with him quite a lot. RIP.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

When I heard about the accident I put all the parts together and suspected that John might have been involved. I was out tonight and bumped into one of his regular climbing partners who confirmed my worst fears.

I only met him once but, like you, I had a long history of online correspondence with John and I considered him a friend.

I will miss his FB posts, his work on Footless Crow, his YouTube videos and his courage in expressing his opinions unapologetically in an age where many of us are too scared to say boo to a goose.

RIP, Jonno.

David Alcock 23 Mar 2022

Oh blimey RIP John. Thanks for the memories. 

simondgee 23 Mar 2022

I was just reading of this. Such a sad and tragic loss of someone who's energy, care, time and grace could weave the threads of climbings rich and diverse culture into a colourful fabric that I would each week look forward to indulging myself in. Deepest condolences to family and friends of John.

Clauso 23 Mar 2022

Very sad news. I never met him but he seemed like a really good bloke.

Condolences to his family. RIP Jonno.

Wee Davie 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Clauso:

Sad news. I hope Footless Crow can continue in his memory. RIP.

Greenbanks 24 Mar 2022

Awful news. For us as recipients of such wonderful stuff from FC. But more especially for family and others close to him. 

pneame 24 Mar 2022

That’s really sad footless crow is such a wonderful site. 

F*ck. Nothing to do but what Whillans used to do; open a bottle.

Such terrible news. RIP.

jcm

Mike Peacock 24 Mar 2022

This is such sad news. Likewise I never met him, but had interacted with him for years on FB. He had such enthusiasm for the quieter parts of Snowdonia, and a huge knowledge of esoteric climbs and scrambles, which he was always willing to share. The world is a worse place with him gone.

I’m just horrified by this. He was a real star of the climbing world and was such a thoughtful and kind guy. 
I’m lost for words.

Mooncat 24 Mar 2022

John always came across as a decent man on here, I missed his posts when he stopped. His footless crow blogs were a great way to keep up with what was going on in the climbing scene in Wales since I stopped climbing.

RIP John 

steveriley 24 Mar 2022

Sad loss. Footless Crow is such a lovely legacy.

Bob Kemp 24 Mar 2022

How awful! I’ve been following Footless Crow for a long time, and it’s been a valuable source of both older print articles digitised and newer writing. And John’s trenchant personal opinions were also valued. Condolences to his famIly.

Happycrankr 24 Mar 2022

This is tragic.  Like others, I've had many interactions online with John over the years.  Very sad.

Mick Ward 25 Mar 2022

Calling Commander Appleby

It’s not as though I don’t know this stuff. The sad truth is that I know it all too well. Been here so many times before. Yet I never saw this one coming. Not you, John, not you. I didn’t think it would be you.

The silly thing is that we never even met. Yet for year after year you were an integral part of my life – and many other people’s lives. I’d get up in the morning, have a brew, fire up the ancient laptop. And, almost without fail, you’d be there with some outing, some observation, some snippet of wry humour.

Often there would be an exchange of banter and of course that’s what it’s all about. There are millions of people with whom I have precious little in common. But when you find someone with whom you’ve got a huge amount in common, well, you treasure it.

But did I treasure it enough? Sure, I’d reply but I wouldn’t put stuff on myself. Too lazy? Too private? I always let John make the running. He must have thought wouldn’t it be nice if someone else got off their arse once in a while. But, whether they did or didn’t, he just carried on, bless him.

Sometimes we’d fall out. Though our underlying values were near-identical, occasionally our  opinions sharply differed. We’d bicker. Or even have a spat. Fair play to him though, it never got personal. He’d always stick to honest argument, however astringent. Sometimes we’d simply agree to disagree. Next day it would all be forgotten. We’d be back to normal again. Like an old married couple.

John became well-known through Footless Crow. I doubt he ever wanted to be well-known. He aimed for ‘the best in British outdoor writing’ - and it was. For year after year, he’d publish or republish articles mostly about climbing but sometimes about other aspects of the outdoors. Many of these articles were favourites which I hadn’t seen in decades. If John hadn’t dug them out and put them on, I’d probably never have had the chance to read them again. Many younger people wouldn’t have had the chance to read them at all. Footless Crow was a vital resource to the climbing community. For year after year John put those articles on, simply from the goodness of his heart. He gave so much to us. I hope that Footless Crow will continue, dedicated to his memory.

In his inimitable manner John became a highly influential figure in the climbing world. He probably wasn’t too bothered about stuff like fingerboards but, while these are important, I’m sure we’d all agree that there are other things which are far more important. Simply being out on the hills in all weathers, revelling in it. Being able to communicate the feeling to so many others.

John had a deep appreciation of our shared history, our shared culture. You could ask him the most obscure question and he’d probably know the answer.

What John really loved was getting out into the hills, well off the beaten track, finding an unclimbed line and doing it. He had a long friendship with Harold Drasdo. The Welsh mountains are littered with their routes. In the 1950s Harold discovered the Poisoned Glen in Donegal and made first ascents of majestic 1,000 foot lines. Some years ago John went to Donegal but typically it rained. I always had a notion that we’d go there together, repeat some of Harold’s famous routes and put up other ones ourselves. But now we never will.

I had another notion that I’d walk into Pete’s Eats in Llanberis and John would be sitting there with his bosom buddy, John Redhead. They’d be sharing a plate of chips. (Somehow they’d be my chips which the artful pair had mysteriously purloined.) Needless to say the banter would be merciless. John had a piercing Scouse wit. He was quick to prick the bubble of bombast. We live in an age of utter political bullshit. John saw straight through it. And he’d say so.

Beneath the acerbic wit, he was kind, considerate. There was a heartbreaking account of him finding a dog which had been appallingly ill-treated. John agonised over what to do. Eventually he persuaded the indifferent owner to give him the dog. Instant hefty vet’s bills! Teal, the new arrival, became best pals with John’s beloved hound, Fergus. I used to look at John’s photographs of them together, wagging their tails in doggy heaven. Safe behind the keyboard, I’d sniffle. But both dogs were getting on, neither in the best of shape…

I glance across the room at my fingerboard. Don’t want to use it today. Some more sniffling going on. Safe behind the keyboard, me.

Some people are in your head forever. John’s in mine. Some days we may bicker. Or even have a spat. Next day we’ll be back to normal. Like an old married couple.

John took a brilliant selfie. He looked indomitable. Scott of the Antarctic. To tease him, I invented the staunch persona of Commander Appleby. Commander Appleby was made of the right stuff. Stiff upper lip. Hard as nails. If you wanted to get things done - with no damned nonsense – you’d get straight on the blower to Commander Appleby.

But then (shock horror!) Appleby turned rogue. Went off the reservation. Had to task a squad of Black Ops chappies to hunt him down. They vainly scoured the Welsh hills, cold, wet and miserable - while all the time he was having a few pints in his local with his old mate, Harold.  

I used to jest about Commander Appleby’s last mission. Now his last mission’s been and gone. The jest’s on me, John. This time it’s on me.

Mick

Dave Garnett 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Mick Ward:

Wow Mick, straight from the heart.  As always.

In reply to Mick Ward:

What a fine set of words Mick. Yes, he was an argumentative old bugger, but also infinitely kind and generous. His rescue of the abused and neglected dog from a farmer's outhouse last year (or the year before) was a fine act of humanity. I will miss his presence in my life.

David Alcock 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Mick Ward:

Beautifully said as ever Mick. He was actually relaxed and laid back in person, driven only by enjoyment and exploring outside as far as I could tell. 

I still can't believe it's happened.

steveriley 25 Mar 2022
In reply to Mick Ward:

I didn't know John but he had a knack for pulling up old articles that still found a space rattling around in your head, scratching an itch you didn't know needed itching. Thanks for putting that together and reminding us of what a special thing Footless Crow was.

Marc C 25 Mar 2022

Very sad news. I only knew John via political 'disagreements' on Facebook, but I always respected the fierce commitment of his beliefs and admired his love of the outdoors. Such a shame he won't get to enjoy many years more of discovering new crags and pottering amongst the hills. RIP John.

Sorry to read this.

Jonno was one of the old guard on here

Comhbhrón

BrianT 26 Mar 2022
In reply to Mick Ward:

Very moving, Mick. I was shocked to hear of John’s death when Mark Edwards mentioned it on Facebook this morning. 
I only met him once, face to face, at David Hooper’s funeral. I found him intensely engaging but very humorous, and less angular than the Jonno of Rocktalk. We struck up a dialogue and I contributed a couple of articles to Footless Crow. But I’d not heard from him for some time, and now I never will. 
Goodbye John. May our star-born atoms meet again. 

nigel n 26 Mar 2022
In reply to Mick Ward:

A lovely appreciation. I only met him once, on the edge of the Migneint a few years ago.  We chatted for a while and it was apparent that we both had a liking for places less travelled.  I think he and Harold are the only people that I have met who really appreciated the place.

I have known John for at least 40 years. Always one for a chossy new route bestowing it's greatness to all his mates. A traditionalist who loved the hidden cliffs and crags no matter how grim they were. His enthusiasm was unbelievable, way greater than mine for wet and overgrown crags. He loved life and lived it how he wanted. Lucky to have an understanding partner in Christine who will be as we all are devastated at this time. Top fella.

Mark Leach 26 Mar 2022
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks Mick we have all lost a true friend who will never be forgotten. I never met John but somehow it felt like we had met. RIP John.

Post edited at 20:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...