UKC

Cavall Bernat ridge, Mallorca

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Superterence 24 Mar 2022

Has anyone scrambled this ridge line in Mallorca.....but from the Punta de la Salada (or the very point where the ridge line meets the sea) to the peak of Talaia Vella?

Phil Murray 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Superterence:

I've done most of it, but going out towards the sea from where the path from the Boquer Valley hits the ridge.  October 2015, I think. It was tough to routefind, (as in, no real "path") (navigation trivial of course - ridge!), & very, very spikey. It was also super hot that day. I have loads of pics.  Some of the views over the left hand side (overlooking Cala san Vicente bay) were gobsmacking.. scrambling all the towers I think comes in about grade III in places.  Fantastic. Take gardening gloves! Long trousers! (spikes & sharp rock) - & lots of water. 

John Kelly 24 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil Murray:

Good scrambling but second long (tough) trousers

Derek Furze 24 Mar 2022

Did it years ago - great fun.  Spectacular views and situations

Trangia 25 Mar 2022

I did it years ago, although not right from sea level at the north end. Mainly scrambling, with one or two moves approaching 4a/4b. We soloed  but a cautious person might need a rope for some sections. We did it in shorts and legs got quite scratched, so plus 2 for the trousers recommendation! If you were using a rope, as Phil Murray warns, take care, because the sharp rock could cut it in the event of a fall.

Having said all that, it is a fantastic adventure with mind blowing exposure particularly on the west side.

Baz P 25 Mar 2022

I did this solo in 1972. I carried a pair of rock shoes and traversed as far rightwards under the ridge as I could before reaching the sea. I used the shoes to climb up to where the ridge levelled out. From memory about diff to vdiff at the most. From here to the Cala San Vicente road I put the trainers back on. The latter part I recall involved a lot of rock hopping to avoid the sharp scrub. 
Great fun and views. 

Pete Pozman 26 Mar 2022

Brilliant route. Cool head needed. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...