UKC

Cadair Idris and surrounding area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey folks, I've booked a weekend away with some of my walking buddies in about a month from now.

We'll be staying at the Royal Ship, Dolgellau, for the Friday evening, walking on Saturday then staying over again and driving home on the Sunday morning.

I have literally zero knowledge of the area, and no idea whether the hotel or town is decent as it's way out of my usual haunts.

So the questions are, is the hotel decent for grub? We're booked for two night regardless but if there are other decent local eateries we could opt for that. Secondly, a walk around CI was always the plan but being as we're so far from home, I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something. I like to tick off the well known hills but if there's a local gem of a walk that I could miss without local knowledge I'd prefer that.

Cheers

Richard

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

A round of Aran Fawddwy from Cwm Cywarch is very worthwhile, as are the outlying bits of the Cader massif. For a short walk the north East ridge of gau graig is lovely and quiet and on a nice day the western end of the ridge (tyrrau Mawr etc) is lovely.

Also, you've got easy access to the rhinogs from Dol.

Phil1919 29 Mar 2022

Lovely place to visit.

wilkesley 29 Mar 2022

Y Sospan on Queens Square is worth a visit for eating out.

Tom Valentine 29 Mar 2022
In reply to wilkesley:

Agree.

Mike Peacock 29 Mar 2022

If only one walk I would opt for Cadair. A round of Cwm Cau from Minfford is the classic. But if you want to walk from Dolgellau then as pancakeandchips says the NE ridge of Gau Graig is great. From the summit just follow the ridge to Pen y Gadair (Cadair Idris main top). You could descend the Pony Path or if you're feeling ambitious follow the ridge right to the far western end on Craig Cwm-llwyd, then walk home along Ffordd Ddu and the back lanes (which are quiet and make for quite pleasant walking).

As for food, the Gwesty Gwernan used to do good pub food and is also a nice spot for a pint sat outside overlooking the lake. It's at the start of the Foxes Path.

Mike Peacock 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Mike Peacock:

Actually, looks like the Gwernan has closed and been sold. That's a shame.

ExiledScot 29 Mar 2022

Saturday night in sand dancers (barmouth night club), lamb burger outside after and the night bus back to Dol. If they still even exist. 

CI is the best for first visit, follow advice above for follow ups. 

The George is pretty good for food and is in an absolutely beautiful spot on the southern side of the Mawddach.

Tom Valentine 30 Mar 2022

Leave your mates behind in Dolgellau on Saturday afternoon, walk up CI with bivy equipment and spend the night out alone on the mountain. According to local legend you will come down from the hill either as a madman or a poet. 

I did it twenty years ago and the jury is still out as to which . 

( I don't think sleeping in the stone shelter with a gang of mates  is quite what was had in mind when the legend was first kindled)

In reply to Tom Valentine:

There's a nice constructed bivvy site right next to the summit on almost the opposite side from the shelter, it's a much nicer place to spend the night than that dank hole.

Tom Valentine 30 Mar 2022
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I found a nice little niche for my tent about 30 metres from the summit and on the opposite side from the shelter, which I believe was unoccupied anyway from my observations.

ben b 30 Mar 2022
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Agreed - it's almost comfy.

Cyfrwy Arete, summit bivvy with the roar of the MSR, a small nightcap and waking in bivvy bags under a fresh fall of snow - and a return to the car park to find the warden looking at our car and wondering about calling the MRT. Happy days! 25 years ago now.  I feel old...

b

Myfyr Tomos 30 Mar 2022
In reply to ben b:

Wonderful shot. There is historic graffiti in that shelter. The oldest is "H. Richard, Coven 1822". I assume that is the Staffordshire village. The recent storms caused some serious damage to the main hut - the main roof timber has snapped and two of the corrugated sheets have been damaged. A temporary repair was done and a full repair will be carried out as soon as possible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...