UKC

Cwm idwal ice routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oscar123 31 Mar 2022

Hi,

I’m in north wales this weekend, it’s looking like there might be some winter! It looks like there’ll be sub zero temperatures up higher until the weekend, is that likely to be long enough for some of the ice routes in cwm idwal like The Ramp and The Screen to form? I’m probably being too optimistic!

Thanks!

Darron 31 Mar 2022
In reply to oscar123:

Are you a Bot? Blinking Russians.

cragtyke 31 Mar 2022
In reply to oscar123:

Nice one mate, I'm sat listening to it siling down with rain in Calpe, but you've made me laugh.

veteye 31 Mar 2022
In reply to cragtyke:

I remember climbing UBS on the Penon in Calpe, years ago, when it started raining: Then, as we lodged under the small roof at the top of the rib, our nostrils were assailed with the deliciously concentrated aroma of the well rehydrated, concentrated urine stench. Luckily, the rain did not last too long, and we started climbing again after a short while (I volunteered to lead that pitch).

In reply to oscar123: You can always get out there and just imagine the ice build-up in more stable cold times.

TobyA 31 Mar 2022
In reply to oscar123:

On the basis that you are being serious, no it's not likely that any ice routes will be in condition. You might get a snowy scramble in - the winter climbing forecast app is mainly showing "marginal" or "poor" even for the high up ridges, although it suggests Crib Goch and Gribin Ridges might be "reasonable" at the weekend. I'd go as high and as rocky as possible.

jezb1 31 Mar 2022
In reply to oscar123:

More snow came down overnight than I expected. It’s very pretty of course but I doubt your ice routes will be in.

Bottom Clinger 31 Mar 2022
In reply to oscar123:

Everyone will be at Kinder so you will have the routes to yourself.  If they are formed.  Which they won't be.  

ianstevens 31 Mar 2022
In reply to oscar123:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

More seriously: These things take weeks to form, even in the middle of winter. The air temp was over 10C at 850m not three days ago, and the groundwater is nearly at 5C. You need a long, sustained cold spell to bring these things in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...