UKC

Psoriasis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 McHeath 02 Apr 2022

Anybody here a fellow sufferer? I got it on the palms of my hands and on my fingers in December and it's a real bummer, it's stopped me from climbing, hangboarding, basically everything to do with finger and arm strength. Even pullups or dips lead to massive itching and a new outbreak. Getting slightly less crippling through treatment, but not enough to let me climb again. Has anyone here had experience with this?

PS and please no links to Johnny Dawes on Lundy... 😭

Post edited at 01:02
 Ciro 02 Apr 2022
In reply to McHeath:

I mainly just get it on my chest and head, which can be very irritating but doesn't really affect me otherwise.

Must be hellish to have it on your hands, you have my sympathies.

Mine more or less clears up if I get enough sunshine.

von_donsburg 02 Apr 2022
In reply to McHeath:

I had something on my feet that I thought was psoriasis. Applying Psoriderm coal tar cream relieved the symptoms to an extent and kept things somewhat damped down.

In the end it turned out to be fungal in nature and responded well to terbinafine cream. 

Sorry that's not exactly relevant, but the coal tar cream might be worth a try. Having it on your hands sounds bad, best of luck with it

climbingpixie 02 Apr 2022
In reply to McHeath:

I have it on my elbows (and previously on one leg) and even there it's unpleasant, itchy, irritating and embarrassing. Thankfully I'm lucky enough that it doesn't affect my ability to do stuff because of where it's located so you have my absolute sympathy.

Wrt treatment, I manage mine purely with loads of Hydramol and by using a soft brush when I'm in the shower/bath and that keeps the itchiness and flakiness to a minimum. I've tried steroid cream, which works amazingly for a week or so but the plaques just return as soon as I stop so I decided it wasn't worth the negative aspects of steroid use. Obviously that only works because mine in a place where it doesn't get in the way. As others have mentioned, sunshine and fresh air can also help, as can sleeping better and being less stressed. I imagine chalk use is probably horrific for it so maybe time to give up the white stuff...? On a more positive note, I've also had success controlling it through diet - cutting out dairy and wheat made a big difference - so you could consider trying that.

Interestingly, mine seems to be spontaneously clearing up after 16 years of being present but that's probably little comfort to you! 

Rog Wilko 02 Apr 2022
In reply to climbingpixie:

It runs in my family. I’ve suffered it in many different parts of my body since childhood but it’s never been worse than annoying, unpleasant and embarrassing, the latter especially when affecting  the scalp. Produced rather extreme “dandruff “.

My nephew suffered with it from childhood too, and it got worse especially on his hands in early middle age. Eventually he decided to go vegan, having suspected a link with dairy produce. He still misses cheddar, but as it disappeared completely, never to return (at least 15 years to date) after about 10 days, he finds that a worthwhile deal.

Post edited at 22:42
 aln 03 Apr 2022
In reply to McHeath:

Calpitriol ointment/cream applied for a week or so stops the itching in a few days and clears it up when applied for 2 weeks. It comes back eventually but there's weeks of relief in between. Sunlight also helps.

aln 03 Apr 2022
In reply to aln:

*Calcitriol

OP McHeath 03 Apr 2022
In reply to McHeath:

Many thanks to all for your most helpful and encouraging replies, loads to go on there. Got another appointment tomorrow, I'll post at regular intervals on any progress. Thanks again!

mountainbagger 03 Apr 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> My nephew suffered with it from childhood too, and it got worse especially on his hands in early middle age. Eventually he decided to go vegan, having suspected a link with dairy produce. He still misses cheddar, but as it disappeared completely, never to return (at least 15 years to date) after about 10 days, he finds that a worthwhile deal.

Don't say that 😭! I've been tolerating eczema for 40 years possibly due to my love of cheese!

Ok, so eczema is not psoriasis, but one thing that definitely sets it off for me is many types of hand soap (usually liquid, antibacterial, scented), alcohol gel and a lot of shower gels/shampoos. I stick to J&J baby shampoo and the plainest soap possible where I can. Also, I use Ecover or Surcare laundry detergent and don't use fabric softener.

Tigger 03 Apr 2022
In reply to McHeath:

I've had it very mild for years and it flared up, I suspect due to the Pfizer vaccine as it got progressivel worse after each shot. Unfortunately my has started effecting my joints (axial psoriatic arthritis).

Anyway though a bit of trial and error I started taking Vitamin D3 (initially 1000iu daily now 2000iu), it seems to helped with skin and joints and certainly made me feel more alert through winter. I'd also look at taking Vitamin K2 alongside it.

Sandstonier 03 Apr 2022
In reply to McHeath:

I would try experimenting a little with your diet.  As a sufferer I've found that some foods, especially those containing gluten, tend to excerbate mine.

Rog Wilko 03 Apr 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

My experience suggests that biological clothes washing detergents are really bad news as far as psoriasis is concerned. Something else that might help some people is Polytar shampoo. Helps with mild doses of scalp psoriasis for me.

profitofdoom 03 Apr 2022
In reply to McHeath:

> Anybody here a fellow sufferer? 

I've had it for years and years. Every single night on my legs / knees/ ankles (it varies) and sometimes arms and wrists. It's very itchy and an absolute nuisance: if I don't do anything I can't sleep for the itching. I've seen the GP twice for it and was prescribed Calcipotriol ointment both times, which works well but doesn't cure it, just makes it go away till the following evening when it's back the same as before. The doctor said I should use Eucerin cream (over the counter at Boots) when it's less severe.... which is 9 nights out of 10 for me.... that also works for 12 hours or so when it's less severe. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...