UKC

Well done Islabikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 03 Apr 2022

Helping my friends to choose a new bike for their kid, and ended up on the Islabikes website checking sizing charts. I was delighted to see that they have a couple of bikes in their range designed for kids with dwarfism! What an amazing resource! Kids with dwarfism aren't just smaller than average, they usually have different body proportions, so it's nice to see that there are bikes now being designed with them in mind! Well done Islabikes! It's nice to see companies starting to make their equipment accessible to more people 🙂

mountainbagger 03 Apr 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

An Islabike was the cheapest bike I ever bought for my kids. £180 second hand. Sounds like a lot, but I sold it for £150 when both my kids had grown out of it 3 years later. They hold their value that's for sure!I

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear your experience though 👍

Rampart 03 Apr 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

>  they have a couple of bikes in their range designed for kids with dwarfism!

Also, to their additional credit, adults with dwarfism, I believe.

OP girlymonkey 03 Apr 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

Yes, the resale value on them is incredible! These kids have only ever known Islabikes, but the oldest might be about to get a Hoy (if I win the eBay auction!).

When the kids were small, I agreed to be responsible for sourcing bikes. My friend has long-term health issues which means she can't drive. She can cycle so it was important the kids got bike confident early on so she could do nursery and school runs with them and she didn't know much about bikes! So I got them their first Islabikes very early on (and helped her to find a good bike for herself too). As they are close in ages, the first couple of bikes seemed like a lot of money to them, but now we sell the smallest bike and move the wee one up when the biggest needs a new one and doesn't seem to cost us anything now. Definitely worth the investment and the kids have been super confident on bikes from being tiny. 

OP girlymonkey 03 Apr 2022
In reply to Rampart:

Oh, I didn't spot that! That is great!

LastBoyScout 04 Apr 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

> An Islabike was the cheapest bike I ever bought for my kids. £180 second hand. Sounds like a lot, but I sold it for £150 when both my kids had grown out of it 3 years later. They hold their value that's for sure!I

Best I've done so far was buying a Specialized kids bike in a sale for £100 and sold it on 4 years later after both kids had grown out of it for £100 (maybe down by about £10 for the dolly seat and handlebar tassels we'd added).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...