UKC

Dog poo bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 05 Apr 2022

Has anyone ever seen one being hung up?  Or are all bag-depositors furtive and secretive.

Bottom Clinger 05 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

> Has anyone ever seen one being hung up?  Or are all bag-depositors furtive and secretive.

Never.  I'm thinking of doing a 24/7 stake out near some of the local Hot Spots, installing trail cams and paying for a team of private detectives to catch the buggers.

Tony the Blade 05 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I honestly just don't get the mentality - surely they've done the tough bit and lifted the turd, why then hang it in a tree? In my local park there are turd bags hanging within 20ft of a poo bin FFS!

In reply to MG:

A few of my workmates who walk their dog from work bag the poop and hang it up to get on the way back to save carrying it on the walk. I don't agree with this approach, too likely to forget it and its an eyesore for the 20min or however long its there for. But to be fair to them they do seem to pick it up again.

So there may be some ill founded logic to it... but then there is probably as many who are just arseholes who don't care. 

I don't find carrying the bag any issue whatsoever, you sort of sign up for it by having a dog. and once its knotted well its basically airtight.

elliot.baker 05 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I was thinking this only yesterday on a run. It's such a deep philosophical moral issue 😅. More so around not picking it up ... If you regularly walk along a nice footpath with your dog AND you don't like stepping in dog mess - then why would you increase the likelihood of you, yourself, stepping in dog mess by not clearing it up!?!?!?!? It's like playing Russian roulette or something. Similarly with the tree hanging, why would you want to make your local nature dog walk look gross???? Who are these people!? They walk amongst us...

In reply to MG:

Perhaps it's a piece of Tracey Emin "art" with some deep hidden meaning.  IMO her art tends to be sh*t

Post edited at 10:10
 AukWalk 05 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I've heard the reasoning of leaving a bag hanging on a tree with the intention of picking it up on the way back in the past. Don't agree with it, but can sort of see the logic.

That still doesn't explain the ones you occasionally see half way up a tree or hung in a bush 10m from the path - seems like they have actually been chucked there deliberately.

Would love to see someone actually doing it so I could ask them what they were doing. 

Post edited at 10:15
 Jenny C 05 Apr 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

I used to use pink nappy bags, maybe the use of blank/green poo bags has made it less esthetically objectionable to simply drop (or throw) bags into the trees/bushes.

I certainly think biodegradable bags are a really bad idea as they create the impression that they can be responsibly left to decompose. How many people actually compost them?

Godwin 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> I honestly just don't get the mentality

I have pondered this, and this is my conclusion.

You cannot make people do what they do not want to do. For example, if you hold a gun to a persons head, they will do absolutely anything you say, because they want to live, more than not do what you are telling them.

But take the gun away, and they will stop doing what you told them to.

I reckon that the people dumping dog poo bags, pick it up, because they are, or believe themselves to be under observation, so their desire not to face social wrath, is stronger than their reluctance to pick up dog poo.

However once they believe themselves not to be under observation, they discreetly dump the bag, or I think the hanging in a tree, is big two fingers to the people who they think forced them to do something they did not want to do.

Thats my opinion anyway, could be wrong.

Post edited at 10:19
 Martin Hore 05 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I'll probably get a lot of down-votes from dog-lovers for saying this, but I've never understood why owners can't train their dogs to poo in their own gardens. That way, it would certainly get cleaned up properly.

Martin

yorkshire_lad2 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

You get an upvote from me (and I'll note the comment which will probably get made that some dog owners don't have a garden, to which I will add that some dog owners do not have a garden and think other people's garden/grass is fair game for their dogs to pee and poo on)

In reply to Martin Hore:

> I'll probably get a lot of down-votes from dog-lovers for saying this, but I've never understood why owners can't train their dogs to poo in their own gardens. That way, it would certainly get cleaned up properly.

Would this be an opportune moment to talk about cat shit too? Train the little feckers to shit in their own yard, it would save me the bother of gathering rocks and stashing them near my back door.

Cats should be kept on a lead in their own back garden.

cwarby 05 Apr 2022
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

https://www.hillsandhounds.co.uk/products/dicky-bag?variant=37736913109156&...

I use a version of this. Made from wetsuit type material, so easily washed. Holds a couple of bagged up poos ready to dump(!) at the next waste bin. Saves carrying on your finger. May seem pricey, but if you can afford dog, food, insurance, jabs.....

In reply to Godwin:

Great theory... and I tend to agree.

nniff 05 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

Our dogs manage to crap both in the garden and on walks.  I don't know where it all comes from; well I do, but I don't - oh, whatever.

I prefer the big poo bags.  Carefully pick the poo up, tie a knot in the bag,  turn it inside out and tie another knot - one double-wrapped poo.  This then goes in my back pocket.  Apparently, this is gross.

One such package has inadvertently gone through the washing machine, the tumble drier and been ironed....

Hutson 05 Apr 2022
In reply to cwarby:

I've got something similar for long walks where there might not be bins for miles. Hanging it in a tree is a selfish thing to do even if you plan on picking it up later. I thought I could get away with hanging it off a bag or belt but then the bag started to wear through on a longer walk (nooooo) so I invested.

Dog mess never used to be too much of an issue in my local park but it's horrific right now. I wonder if some of the people who became new dog owners over lockdown think picking it up is optional. My dog managed to step in a pile the other day which was fun to wash off her paws. Absolute arseholes.

JoshOvki 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

When you have gotta go, you have gotta go. Can't get people to poo only in toilets never mind get a dog to only poo in a particular garden.

plyometrics 05 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

Never seen it done thankfully, otherwise I’d probably be in jail. 

Queenie 05 Apr 2022

While out running, I bag the dog's faeces up and transport to a suitable hedge or bramble/nettle patch and empty the contents. Knot the used bag and put in waistbelt or pocket. Job done.

Fat Bumbly2 05 Apr 2022
In reply to nniff:

So you can polish a turrd

65 05 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I saw a couple bag their dog’s log at the Ring of Brodgar and then walk off leaving it on the ground. I did say, “Excuse me, you’ve dropped something.” He came back for it while she offered a collection of rather embarrassed ‘we’re too respectable to do anything like that’ excuses.

I have picked up a bag in the Pentlands and left it on the bonnet of the owners car.

nniff 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

I have heard it said that you can't polish a turd, but you can sprinkle it with glitter

Martin Hore 05 Apr 2022
In reply to JoshOvki:

> When you have gotta go, you have gotta go. Can't get people to poo only in toilets never mind get a dog to only poo in a particular garden.

Wouldn't this suggest that dog owners' houses would be fouled indoors rather often. I'm not aware that happens. I may be wrong, but I understood that one of the purposes of taking your dog for a walk was to encourage/enable it to poo. A suggestion, admittedly only for those dog owners with gardens, would be to make sure the first part of each walk, up to the moment of poo-ing, was in their own garden.

I, perhaps rashly, challenged a dog owner once on why they didn't make sure their dog did the business in their own garden. The response was along the lines of "you wouldn't want that in your garden, would you?" 

Martin

JoshOvki 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

Well yes if you don't let your dog out, it will go on the floor in the house. My dog will let me know that he needs out, generally standing by the door whining, if I don't hear he will bark to let me know its urgent.

He knows that outside is the place to poo/pee, so that is where he goes, he doesn't tell the difference between one bit of grass or another. Sometimes he will go in the garden before a walk, and then again part way around the walk. Also if you do somehow train them only go in the garden what happens if you go on holiday, no having a poo for a week? Doesn't matter if its in your own garden or somewhere else, bag it and bin it, it isn't hard and doesn't affect anyone else that way

In reply to 65:

> and left it on the bonnet of the owners car.

Air intake would have been better...

> A few of my workmates who walk their dog from work bag the poop and hang it up to get on the way back to save carrying it on the walk.

Frankly, I think this is bollocks. There are far too many bags festooning trees for them to be explained by 'the forgetful'.

kipper12 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I don’t have a garden, maybe I can teach my hound to poo out of my 1st floor window.  A neat trick 

65 05 Apr 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > and left it on the bonnet of the owners car.

> Air intake would have been better...

I thought about it.

Ridge 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

> A suggestion, admittedly only for those dog owners with gardens, would be to make sure the first part of each walk, up to the moment of poo-ing, was in their own garden.

Problem is, my dog's a tw*t. Once he figures out that's my plan, he will devote his life to sabotaging it.

girlymonkey 05 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Wouldn't this suggest that dog owners' houses would be fouled indoors rather often. I'm not aware that happens. I may be wrong, but I understood that one of the purposes of taking your dog for a walk was to encourage/enable it to poo. A suggestion, admittedly only for those dog owners with gardens, would be to make sure the first part of each walk, up to the moment of poo-ing, was in their own garden.

> I, perhaps rashly, challenged a dog owner once on why they didn't make sure their dog did the business in their own garden. The response was along the lines of "you wouldn't want that in your garden, would you?" 

> Martin

One of mine will do everything to avoid pooing in the garden! We can go just outside the back gate and he is happy to poo, but not in the garden!

Dax H 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I think it's exactly this, it's very obvious when a dog is capping and can take a while so they pick it up because someone is bound to have seen. Only takes a fraction of a second to launch the bag in to a bush when no one is about though.

I like the dicky bag approach myself, we have one clipped to each lead, they hold a roll of bags in the lid so your never without. On longer walks I take it off the lead and clip it to my belt. 

Fredt 06 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I'm not a dog owner and get really angry when I see abandoned full poo bags.

(I expect to get some (lots of) down votes for this), but this is what I do:

When I'm out walking or running, and I spot a discarded poo bag, I retrieve it and place it carefully in the middle of the path. Yes, purely to annoy other path users. If the crime is out of sight, no one cares, but I'm sure a series of bags on the path angers others like it does me and draws attention to the hidden menace.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and I'm fairly sure I'm responsible for two different signs being erected by the landowners aimed at dog owners.

I'm not sure how many people agree with this approach, but if a lot more people did this, then I can only see positive results. 

bouldery bits 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Fredt:

We all have to have a hobby I guess? 

> A few of my workmates who walk their dog from work bag the poop and hang it up to get on the way back to save carrying it on the walk. I don't agree with this approach, too likely to forget it and its an eyesore for the 20min or however long its there for. But to be fair to them they do seem to pick it up again.

> So there may be some ill founded logic to it... but then there is probably as many who are just arseholes who don't care. 

> I don't find carrying the bag any issue whatsoever, you sort of sign up for it by having a dog. and once its knotted well its basically airtight.

Another problem with this approach is there is a certain mentality that would see a bag hanging up as 'granting permission' to do the same (not realising it is temporary)

Post edited at 08:11
 veteye 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

In Alaska, you can buy Deer turds that come out of the bottom of the glacier, which are then polished.

veteye 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

I used to have a dog who would go for miles for a walk: And then come back and crap in our garden, and taking for ever in the process (which was the annoying bit). Possibly I should have given him Fibogel. (Actually he sometimes had anal sac problems....Back to the day job).

So you would have liked Oscar. He did what you feel is best for society.

wercat 06 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

surely there is a market for a faecal sac carrying harness so the dog can carry its own excrement home?

or nappies?

pitch to Dagon's Den?

Post edited at 08:56
 Bottom Clinger 06 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

And it’s defo got worse during the Covid years, I reckon due to the increase in New Age* dog owners.

* a fellow dog walker introduced me to this phrase, meaning dog owners who bought a lockdown dog and dont have a clue what they’re doing. 

Tringa 06 Apr 2022

Agree. As a dog owner I know to my cost that the picking up can be messy, but once the poo is in the bag the rest is easy. I don't know if hanging the poo bag on a bush is mainly a male thing - are some blokes are too macho to be seen carrying a bag of poo?

However, the hanging it up is odd. If they can't possibly be seen with the bag of poo why don't they just drop it on the ground. I know from my walks some folks do, but other feel the need to decorate tress and bushes.

Dave

Tringa 06 Apr 2022
In reply to cwarby:

> I use a version of this. Made from wetsuit type material, so easily washed. Holds a couple of bagged up poos ready to dump(!) at the next waste bin. Saves carrying on your finger. May seem pricey, but if you can afford dog, food, insurance, jabs.....

I use something similar. I bought a neoprene lens pouch from Ebay. It clips on a belt hoop and the bags of poo go in there until I get home, and as you say easily washed.

Dave

Jenny C 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

> .... I may be wrong, but I understood that one of the purposes of taking your dog for a walk was to encourage/enable it to poo. A suggestion, admittedly only for those dog owners with gardens, would be to make sure the first part of each walk, up to the moment of poo-ing, was in their own garden.

I believe that assistance drugs are trained to 'go' on command, so will hold it in until told that is ok to relieve themselves. But given that most owners barely manage a basic recall, I don't hold out much hope for more advanced training becoming the norm.

I remember Bruno could get through 3 poo bags in a 20 minute round the block stretch of legs, maybe it's the exercise that encourages things to move.

AllanMac 06 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I's like to see the furtive and secretive poo tin hung up.

AllanMac 06 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

In this era of recycling, just attach a pipe to both ends. This would have the additional benefit of saving costs on bags and dog food.

flatlandrich 06 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Hore:

>  I've never understood why owners can't train their dogs to poo in their own gardens. That way, it would certainly get cleaned up properly.

Haha....No!! Not even close. I've lost count of the number of gardens I've steadfastly refused to work in or even enter because of the amount of dog crap.

Justaname 06 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

As a dog walker with ample poo bags, if you come across unbagged dog poo, do you pick it up?

Like litter picing, Its a moral conundrum, as picking it up is doing the right thing, but by doing so you're letting the perpetrator off the hook. As either they don't care anyway, or think that its someone else's problem to deal with (which you have), or by keeping things tidy they don't realise just how horrible a place could become through their inconsiderate behaviour.

Bulls Crack 06 Apr 2022

I did a stick'n'flick on a local path a few years ago now, cacked it up and managed to flick it straight up into some overhanging  branches above the path where it hung like some fecal sword of Damocles. 

Post edited at 21:17
 Fat Bumbly2 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

And a big increase with problems associated with the other end of the dog.   

Bottom Clinger 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

Sadly that does appear to be true. 

Trangia 07 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

> Has anyone ever seen one being hung up? 

Yes, my mate did when his dog shat about a mile into our walk. He scooped it up and put into a bag, then finding nowhere to actually store it he hung it discretely n the back of a bush saying that he would retrieve it on the return leg from our walk. 12 miles later and after several hours we got back to the car. Suddenly he said "Shit! I forgot the shit bag!" I had forgotten it as well. So we trudged back out and retrieved it feeling a bit embarrassed. 

I wonder how many well meaning dog walkers do just this? Forgetting sometimes might be excusable, but there is NO excuse for not rectifying your forgetfulness, and it it is much better practice to put the bag into your bag there and then, rather than leave it and risk forgetting. If well wrapped in a waterproof disposal bag it's not going to muck up your rucksack, or pocket.

Tom Valentine 07 Apr 2022
In reply to Trangia:

I've always hoped that hanging them in a tree was the sign of people  intending to retrieve it on the homeward leg of a walk, having done it myself a few times,  but I've come round to thinking that I'm being a bit charitable.

Just before my little walking mate passed away last year his owners bought him a harness to take the load off his collar since he pulled a lot. It was fitted with all sorts of fastenings so if he took a crap i used to bag it and fasten it to his harness. On some walks he looked like a little pack horse with three or four bags nicely balanced across his back

Post edited at 20:54
 Dave Stelmach 08 Apr 2022
In reply to nniff: Providing that you used a wash cycle above 60C, your turd is safe to eat!

Holdtickler 09 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I've got a friend who unashamedly uses the bags as handwarmers for the remainder of his walks!

Holdtickler 09 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I also detest the poo bag trees. Taking something nasty and biodegradable and making a fairly permanent installation from it defies logic. As much as I hate to say it, in these cases it would be better left on the ground for nature to take care of.

I think there is a much larger elephant in the room when we consider the wider situation of dogs crapping in public parks in the first place. Parks are places people picnic, where children rolly polly and make daisy chains, where people meet to play sports and exercise. Has anyone else thought about how much residual crap is left behind even if the well meaning owners clean up. I guess the dog owners justify it by telling themselves that the rain will clean it off the grass right? Even when it doesn't rain for weeks/months sometimes... I guess dog-owning parents must resolve this somehow to themselves in their own gardens. I think we maybe need to think about having "dog toilet" areas like they do in France (the ones that look suspiciously like their petanque courts)

Pete Pozman 10 Apr 2022
In reply to wercat:

> surely there is a market for a faecal sac carrying harness so the dog can carry its own excrement home?

> or nappies?

> pitch to Dagon's Den?

I was thinking that! There are so many dog products which seem to be de rigeuer these days. After all if you can afford £2K for a dog in the first place... I'm sure  poo bag carriers would soon be ubiquitous. I've even put some thought into the marketing: "Take it back in the Crapsack"; "Make your Cockapoo Packapoo!"

I once saw a dobermann with a little bag of shit hanging from its collar being walked along by its proud owner. It didn't look happy, though. 

GWA 10 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

I think this is mainly done by accident. Quite a few people leave their poo bags when on a loop to collect on the way back and then the human mind being what it is, they become distracted and forget.

I just take an old chalk bag and put the poo bags in there. 

I also take a bin liner out once a month on my walks with the dog and pick up discarded poo bags and litter left along the routes. Usually end up with half a bag full on a 6 mile walk on paths.

Post edited at 08:34
 Godwin 10 Apr 2022
In reply to Holdtickler:

> I think there is a much larger elephant in the room when we consider the wider situation of dogs crapping in public parks in the first place. 

I think the Elephant in the room is that humans cause so much pollution and destroy so much of the planet, that getting so worked up about another animals poo is a bit, no a lot of a cheek.

OP MG 10 Apr 2022
In reply to GWA:

There are everywhere. And you dont throw it in tbe bushes if you are planning to pick it up. It's lazy antisocial attitudes. 

cwarby 10 Apr 2022
In reply to MG:

Rather liked seeing this today...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...