UKC

Skye - Glenbrittle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew95 12 Apr 2022

I am heading up to Skye at the end of the week, alongside other things we are hoping to get up into the Cuillin, but the more I read about it the more I am psyching myself out.  I know I will be fine when I am there but its a bit daunting for my first time and I seem to have a habit of this. 

Does anybody have any recommendations for routes (walking / grade 1) that they can recommend doing from Glenbrittle? 

Current thought is up to Lochan Coire, An Stac scree, once on the ridge turn right and keep going! Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you can get to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and shortly after there is an abseil section? So we would likely turn around there and come back the same way. 

Mike Peacock 12 Apr 2022
In reply to Andrew95:

The obvious 'easy' summit from Glen Brittle is Sgùrr na Banachdich. No difficulties in good weather, just a rocky walk really:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/sgurrnabanachdich.shtml

Bruach na Frithe is also an option. The NW ridge is a good scramble (g1 or 2), not difficult, but airy.  Or, for an easier life, take the path that heads to Sligachan before going south into Fionn Choire and to the top that way (no real scrambling).

I have a feeling that Sgurr Dearg can be done relatively easily from Coire na Banachdich but I've not done it.

The Cuillin can be scary and intimidating in bad weather, but so long as you head out with the option to retreat if things get too full on there should be very little to worry about.

In reply to Andrew95:

I’m sure there will be a Cuillin Guru along shortly to give you a proper answer, but here’s mine: head up to Coire Ghrunnda and climb Sgùrr nan Eag. There’s some easy confidence-building scrambling on the way up to the loch, which is a nice walk in its own right. The navigation and scrambling from the loch to Sgùrr nan Eag is straightforward. This was my first Cuillin Munro and I didn’t get lost or soil myself. 

midgen 12 Apr 2022
In reply to Andrew95:

Bruach Na Frithe NW ridge is a nice first route, and the grade 2 scrambling can be easily avoided by keeping a little to the right of the ridge crest (there's an obvious path). Plenty of options to have a wander once you reach the ridge without any difficulty.

SimonCRMC 12 Apr 2022
In reply to Andrew95:

Lots of good advice already to here's my tuppenny worth.  Pending replies by the experts (Mike Lates, Gordon Stainforth etc), as others have said, Sgurr na Banachdich and Bruach na Frithe via Fionn Choire (albeit from Sligachan not Glen Brittle) are basically rough walking routes.  If you're looking at nothing harder than Grade 1 scrambling, these two will give you a feel for the terrain and the rock, and you can decide if you want anything more adventurous.  (Sgurr Mhic Coinnich is definitely grade 2.)  There's plenty of detailed guidance in books and online.  Hope this isn't patronising, but also be aware if the cloud does come in that Gabbro affects your compass.  Hope the weather holds and you have a great trip.

BruceM 12 Apr 2022
In reply to Andrew95:

> Current thought is up to Lochan Coire, An Stac scree, once on the ridge turn right and keep going! Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you can get to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and shortly after there is an abseil section? So we would likely turn around there and come back the same way. 

Don't do that!  At least not first.

Do what jugitty said and follow around into Coire Ghrunnda.  Path is a tiny bit scrambly for a short section to get you up to the Loch.  But then it's very easy to get up in the ridge to see it all.  From there easiest stuff is on your right.  But getting to the ridge there will give you awesome views.

That walk-in is awesome also.

In reply to Andrew95:

Still  snow lying in some corries and gullies. Temperatures are however rising and things are thawing quickly. 

OP Andrew95 13 Apr 2022

That's all brilliant help, thanks guys!  Its given me a bit more confidence.  

Taking on your advice and a few walk highlands routes we are going to head up Coir Ghrunnda to the loch, then head to Sgurr nan Eag and possibly Sgurr Dubh Mor. Back down to the loch and retrace the route to the campsite for tea and medals! Seems like a reasonable (easy!) enough route with some good options for some nice scrambling. 

The scrambling does not bother us, we are just very aware that its easy to get yourself into a situation that we can't carry on because its too steep or needs an abseil and we would rather know what we are going to be facing that heading into the unknown! Looking at the OS map also gives me a headache!  

Mike-W-99 13 Apr 2022
In reply to Andrew95:

From personal experience it’s very easy to go the wrong way when approaching Loch Coire a Ghrunnda. Think I’ve done it differently every time so either it is hard to follow or I’m hopelessly incompetent!

OP Andrew95 13 Apr 2022

I just came across another route which looks interesting, a very big day out mind. 

Its as planned, but rather than turning around at Sgurr nan Eag and coming back the same way, carrying along the ridge all the way to Gars-bheinn, then onward to the unnamed 686m spotheight and then heading back west to eventually meet back up with the Coir Ghr..... footpath. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...