UKC

Covid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bojo 14 Apr 2022

Has anyone here had Covid? I started feeling rough either Monday or Tuesday with a runny nose, sneezing and a bit of coughing. Have to say I really thought it was just a sort of "medium" cold, Haven't felt feverish.

I took a test this morning which has come up positive. My understanding is I have to isolate for five days from the on set of symptoms.

Interested to hear anyone else's experience. How long did you take to get through it?

earlsdonwhu 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Had a tickly cough for over a week that I put down to altitude/dry air in Tignes. Tested positive...missed four days skiing ( two when it was really hard to swallow) and was then well enough to continue. Still coughing a bit but that's about it.

OP Bojo 14 Apr 2022
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

We've got a family celebration on 23rd so I just hope I through it by then and that I don't pass it on to anyone else who's attending.

In reply to Bojo:

Hope you folks are feeling better. Being away from home whilst sick is rough. 

I'm confined to barracks at the moment due to chest infection. On ABs but still coughing up horrible looking gunk. I'm blaming my grandson, he's a public health hazard.

In reply to Bojo:

I picked up Covid by going into a crowded bar for about the first time in two years! For me (three times vaccinated), it was like a mild flu, with sore throat and slight fever on three successive nights. Mild symptoms lasted about five days. Yes, you are meant to isolate for five days from the positive test.

Post edited at 14:59
OP Bojo 14 Apr 2022

So far I think I've had worse "common" colds. My biggest worry is actually the afirementioned family do on 23rd. We've got an expenseive restaurant booked, along with a custom made cake being delivered on the day. PLEASE don't go pear shaped.

Jenny C 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

January 2021 with minimal symptoms, mostly just fatigue and a temperature. Still unable to work, just because you get a mild initial infection doesn't mean you won't go on to develop Long Covid.

Take it easy, don't let your employer bully you into returning to work too soon. Rest and convalescence are your friends, you can't exercise your way to recovery but need to give your body time to heel at its own speed.

Neil Williams 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

If you're in England you don't have to isolate at all, but a considerate person would.  If you get a positive test on a LFT, continue testing on them until you get negatives two days running then escape seems to be a reasonable approach.

The New NickB 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

I started with a bit of a cough on Saturday, tested negative Sunday and positive Monday. First time I’ve had it.

General cold type symptoms with added fatigue, mild headache and aches, particularly upper back and neck. The latter symptoms were worst on Monday and have decreased quite quickly.

Still testing very positive.

Duncan Bourne 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Same symptoms as my wife who is currently isolating. She still tested positive today, a week later, but is coming out after ten days

In reply to Bojo:

Triple jabbed, it was like a cold. Tested clear day 10.

Followed by three weeks of sleep, and still tired. Not physically tired, just sleepy.

alan moore 14 Apr 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Followed by three weeks of sleep, and still tired. Not physically tired, just sleepy.

Similar, only 4 weeks later and I feel rougher than when I was testing positive.

Now chesty, sleepy and lethargic.

Tom Valentine 14 Apr 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

Similar here, the symptoms were hardly there and I tested clear  a week ago but the fatigue is very real and makes some everyday tasks a bit of a challenge. A 2  1/2 mile walk on mostly level ground wasted me yesterday. Never thought I'd do it but I've just cracked open a can of energy drink!

Dax H 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Mine started on the 26th of December 2021. Very mild symptoms. I still need to rest if I go up a flight of stairs.

Wife had it at the same time, samy symptoms and was fine after about 2 weeks despite having various underlying conditions putting her firmly in the at risk camp.

Re your party on the 23rd, it's doubtful you will be infectious then but I would do an LF test just in case. 

Postmanpat 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Felt unusually tired on 19th-20th March, sore throat and mild headache on nights of 20th and 21st. Tested positive on 22nd. Bit of a runny nose and fatigue until 26th (positive test on 27th) Finally tested negative on 31st and was probably not infectious  a few days before that. Still lacking energy and occasionally tight chested until April 10th and now finally feel "normal".

So about 3 weeks from start but finish according to my reading probably only infectious for the first 5 days of symptoms and 3 before that.

It was never particularly debilitating. I could get on with my normal life but with the occasional lie down, but for some people the "after effects" (eg.fatigue, tight chest, foggy brain) last for considerably longer.

OP Bojo 14 Apr 2022

Despite having the symptoms of what I assumed was a cold I was in the garden Tuesday and yesterday humping seven 25Kg bags of gravel without really giving it any thought. Must admit I decided to give it a break today.

OP Bojo 14 Apr 2022

Did anyone suffer insomnia during covid? Last two or three nights I've been waking in the small hours along with being hot.

Jenny C 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Oh yes.... somehow I manage to have both chronic fatigue and insomnia

In reply to Neil Williams:

Well the NHS-Covid app on my phone told me I should isolate for five days after the positive test, and gave me a count-down. The app now says "Good News! You have been released from isolation since... " The NHS guidelines may not have been legally binding, but there did not seem to be any 'ifs' or 'buts' about them.

OP Bojo 16 Apr 2022

Having reported a positive test result I've(along with the Mrs) been bombarded by texts, phone calls and emails from NHS and I'm wondering if it was worth the hassle.

Presumably, for the purposes of bureaucracy, I now have to take further tests in order to record a negative result.

Given that the self isolation is now only advisory I wonder whether I should have just considered it to be a case of the common cold. I certainly feel - after four or five days - that I'm now "coming out of it". The Mrs is now convincing herself that she's got it. I feel inclined to tell her to just regard it as a common cold.

I'm not given to conspiracy theories but I even wonder whether a positive result can be precipitated by a bog standard cold.

Are others following "self isolation" religiously?

mountainbagger 16 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

> Having reported a positive test result I've(along with the Mrs) been bombarded by texts, phone calls and emails from NHS and I'm wondering if it was worth the hassle.

Probably not worth the hassle. I didn't get any phone calls the last time though (January) so I'm not sure why they're ringing you.

> Presumably, for the purposes of bureaucracy, I now have to take further tests in order to record a negative result.

No, you don't have to.

> Given that the self isolation is now only advisory I wonder whether I should have just considered it to be a case of the common cold. I certainly feel - after four or five days - that I'm now "coming out of it". The Mrs is now convincing herself that she's got it. I feel inclined to tell her to just regard it as a common cold.

A lot of people have a mild reaction and you might be one of them. Isolation/masks etc are not there to protect you. Some people still die from it and others take weeks or months to recover (if ever).

> I'm not given to conspiracy theories but I even wonder whether a positive result can be precipitated by a bog standard cold.

Why don't you believe it's COVID? Mine was very mild and I felt ok after 3 or 4 days, but I didn't immediately start thinking it must have been something else.

> Are others following "self isolation" religiously?

I isolated for 10 days (as that was a rule at the time). It was annoying as I felt fine but I was still testing positive. It didn't disrupt my plans other than I love to get outside so I was a bit grumpy about that.

In reply to Bojo:

> I'm not given to conspiracy theories but I even wonder whether a positive result can be precipitated by a bog standard cold.

You can quite literally be 99.9% sure that you do have covid. 

Less than a 0.1% chance of a false positive was found for LFTs.

Jenny C 16 Apr 2022
In reply to mountainbagger:

> A lot of people have a mild reaction and you might be one of them. Isolation/masks etc are not there to protect you. Some people still die from it and others take weeks or months to recover (if ever).

Yes please do quarantine, or at the very least least avoid all unnessary contact with the outside world and mask up if you are forced to use shops or public transport.

Just because you have a mild case doesn't mean those you pass it onto will be equally lucky. (And long covid can result even after an asymptomatic infection!)

In reply to Bojo:

Don't behave like your namesake. Minimise contact, and mask up if you must go out.

OP Bojo 16 Apr 2022

> Probably not worth the hassle. I didn't get any phone calls the last time though (January) so I'm not sure why they're ringing you.

> No, you don't have to.

Is there no further follow up to a positive test?

mountainbagger 16 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

> Is there no further follow up to a positive test?

No, it's down to guidance and personal responsibility now. It was different in January, but if I tested positive now, I'd stay at home or exercise outside away from others (if I felt ok) for at least 5 days. I wouldn't go into shops (not even with a mask) and I definitely wouldn't go to my workplace.

If I wasn't feeling ill, I'd test myself after 5 days if I needed to go anywhere. I'd tell anyone I was meeting up with the situation, although I'd probably avoid indoor meetups if possible until 10 days, particularly if involving anyone vulnerable.

But that's just me! Not advice, just what I think I would do.

BusyLizzie 16 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

I normally sleep like a log but had a few very poor nights while I had covid three weeks ago. Didn't connect it up at the time as I had plenty to worry about so just got on with worrying about it in the small hours. Back to normal now.

nathan79 16 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Not me but my girlfriend had it a couple of weeks ago.

Attended a wedding reception on the Saturday night (first occasion of any sort since pre-Covid). She tested positive after feeling coldy/fluey on the Wednesday (checked with 2 different brands of LFT). Sore throat, swollen glands, generally achy and a cough. Negative tests day 7 and 8. No brain fog for her but still a bit lacking in energy and still the odd coughing fit, (including through the night, but I seem to sleep through these).

I was mixing with the same people and still slept in the same bed but never tested positive (and double-checked with a PCR to be sure).

OP Bojo 16 Apr 2022

Another manifestation with me seems to be dulled hearing, although this may be just down to cattarh and congestion.

I wear hearing aids anyway so it's a bit ball aching to be wearing them and still not be able to hear clearly.

freeflyer 17 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Positive on 28th March after breathing in a lot of viroids in a last day apres-ski party on 26th. Four day flu with very heavy catarrh, then 10 days streaming nose and irritating cough. Now residual tiredness, but reasonable amounts of energy otherwise; I’m definitely not back to normal yet after three weeks

ben b 17 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

For many it's a mild illness (especially if prior vaccinations and booster), so from a personal perspective, somewhere between a cold and a nasty 'flu - and if you have actually had real influenza you will know that 'flu is not a couple of days of cold symptoms.

However there are still a number of people for whom covid is a potentially life changing event, either acutely or long covid related. I think it is a basic courtesy to others to take some responsibility about not passing it on - which means a period of self-isolation to keep the R value down. I'm looking after someone otherwise well, vaccinated, early 20s on ICU right now. So we still need to take this seriously, especially in state the NHS is in now where waitlists for urgent cancer operations are ballooning out. 

Get well soon - it's not much fun having covid - and please do your best not to pass it on

b

ALF_BELF 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> January 2021 with minimal symptoms, mostly just fatigue and a temperature. Still unable to work, just because you get a mild initial infection doesn't mean you won't go on to develop Long Covid.

> Take it easy, don't let your employer bully you into returning to work too soon. Rest and convalescence are your friends, you can't exercise your way to recovery but need to give your body time to heel at its own speed.

Im also in the long covid club ... 12 months in now, most of the time it's like living on a different planet. My cognitive power has dropped significantly, swear I have brain damage (no hyperbole)

Have you made any improvements @Jenny C?

Babika 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

>  If you get a positive test on a LFT, continue testing on them until you get negatives two days running then escape seems to be a reasonable approach.

That's all very well but as you have to buy the tests now is anyone actually paying to test every day? 

In a cost of living crisis I feel this may not be top of the list spending for lots of folk.

And perish the thought that anyone has hoarded the free ones

girlymonkey 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Have any of you found a correlation with how strong the T line is on the tests and how long you keep returning a positive test? When the line gets weaker, is your infection nearing the end? Or is there no link? The place I am due to be working this week could really do with me being over with this as soon as possible! So I'm looking for any glimmers of hope. I can't be in before Friday, but there is a chance I could test out by then. 🤞🤞

girlymonkey 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Babika:

> And perish the thought that anyone has hoarded the free ones

My work keep throwing more free ones at my than I can use, so I have hunners! Hubby and I testing constantly for now

deepsoup 18 Apr 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Have any of you found a correlation with how strong the T line is on the tests and how long you keep returning a positive test?

I did, for what it's worth. 

Most of the positive tests I did while I had it produced a solid 'T' line instantly, but the first one was only faint (the morning after a negative test the night before) and then the last one was too, followed by a negative the next day.

Post edited at 09:43
 girlymonkey 18 Apr 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Good to know. It will be helpful to give them an indication on how likely I am to be in later in the week. 

In Scotland we still have to wait for days 6 and 7 negative tests to free up. I'm hoping I get negatives sooner because then I can let them know sooner that I will be in.

I could have easily had the week off last week, this week is far less convenient 😕

kevin stephens 18 Apr 2022

I’m on my 10th day, T lines getting fainter but not gone yet. Continued cold symptoms and lack of energy, also back and other muscle aches. Discipline in the house with segregation, mask wearing and hand sterilisation has so far kept my other half uninfected. I’m not going out except for isolated dog walks until test negative ( fingers crossed for this afternoon’s test) as I wouldn’t want to pass it on. One plus point is that I’ve lost a significant amount of weight due to diminished appetite . Now getting severely bored. Hopefully fit for KE next weekend.

Post edited at 10:19
 girlymonkey 18 Apr 2022
In reply to kevin stephens:

While hubby and I discussed whether we were going to bother isolating or not, I drank from a bottle, put it down and he then drank from it without thinking! Lol! So that decided that one, no point isolating!

My symptoms (almost none) pretty much stopped at the point my tests turned positive. I will stay away from people, but dogs still need walked and I will head to empty hills and lochs happily. We are very lucky to live somewhere with easy access to emptiness

deepsoup 18 Apr 2022

> One plus point is that I’ve lost a significant amount of weight due to diminished appetite.

I'm slightly envious of that part - my week and a bit of confinement within a 20 second walk to the fridge had very much the opposite effect. :-/

There's no way it'll drag on to next weekend don't worry, but you might need to take it steady for a bit and be prepared to be patient with yourself if you find you can't put quite as much effort in as you'd like.

elsewhere 18 Apr 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

I thought all COVID laws ended today?

Although as you have been working in care settings, I expect your employer (and you personally) may have extra rules.

girlymonkey 18 Apr 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Not in Scotland. Mask rules have ended, but still isolation. 

This week's work was due to be at an outdoor center. (I'm trying to reduce my care work now as outdoor work busy again, however as they are permanently in staffing crisis, it's a hard sector to leave!)

So we still have to isolate 10 days with the option to test out on days 6 and 7. I hope I manage that!

girlymonkey 18 Apr 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

> I'm slightly envious of that part - my week and a bit of confinement within a 20 second walk to the fridge had very much the opposite effect. :-/

Ha ha, I thought that too when I read it! I have never lost my appetite!

FactorXXX 18 Apr 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Not in Scotland. Mask rules have ended, but still isolation. 

Unlike England, wasn't the requirement to self isolate always guidance as opposed to law?

elsewhere 18 Apr 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

It took me a while to find the text "All covid rules and restrictions have been lifted in Scotland" (very selective quote from link below) as the messaging is much more that advice has not changed.

https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/

I've been trying to work it out myself recently as I'm due to do face to face meetings with about thirty people this week & next week. Some will be infected (1 in 20 ish?), somebody will be vulnerable, somebody will be living with somebody vulnerable, somebody will be in the same household as somebody infected and somebody will be agoraphobic or scared of meeting people. Hence to avoid disruption (and spending time face to face with infected people!) I'll need to offer online option although that's not as good for these particular meetings.   

I'll have to check my employer's advice too but I guess I'll do windows open & masks (suggested but optional).

girlymonkey 18 Apr 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Hmm, interesting. I will mention that to my employer. I won't be going anyway if still testing positive, but if negative sooner then maybe. But it may well be against company policy if it is still official advice.

kevin stephens 18 Apr 2022
In reply to kevin stephens: yes!!!!! free at last!

Jenny C 18 Apr 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

Lots of companies even in England are very going above and beyond the legal rules and still requiring staff to keep out of the office if they have a suspected covid infection. No sensible employer wants to risk the disruption of their whole workforce going down with covid at the same time.

girlymonkey 18 Apr 2022

Woohoo!

elsewhere 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

I expect workplace insurance policies may insist guidance and not just law is followed hoping that this reduces future potential liability for long COVID. The insurers don't want a liability looming over them for decades like asbestosis does/did. 

FactorXXX 18 Apr 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

> I expect workplace insurance policies may insist guidance and not just law is followed hoping that this reduces future potential liability for long COVID. The insurers don't want a liability looming over them for decades like asbestosis does/did. 

I suspect that it's more a case of whether a person can work from home or not.
If they can work from home, then the company doesn't in theory lose any productivity.
On the other hand, if the workplace needs people physically on site, then in all probability Covid will be treated like all other illnesses .

Dr.S at work 18 Apr 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Unlike England, wasn't the requirement to self isolate always guidance as opposed to law?

I think that was NI?

tehmarks 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

I had it in February. Felt increasingly off-colour throughout the day at work - worsening headache, zoning out and difficulty concentrating, sensitive skin. Took a test that evening - result! It didn't really develop into anything - the most ill I felt was before I tested, and from the next day onwards I was basically perfectly fine.

Except for the occasional shortness of breath and wheezing while lying down. That came on a few days later and lasted sporadically for a few weeks.

Juicymite86 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Not yet, been working all through every lockdown,no jabs yet, had a few colds but thats it

Not had alcohol for a few years so hoping its that whats kept my immune system tip top

mountainbagger 18 Apr 2022
In reply to girlymonkey:

> My symptoms (almost none) pretty much stopped at the point my tests turned positive.

Same here. My tests were at their most angry red instant line about when I felt ok (day 4) and could run on the treadmill.

However, I was still getting a faint line on day 10.

mountainbagger 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Juicymite86:

> Not yet, been working all through every lockdown,no jabs yet, had a few colds but thats it

>  Not had alcohol for a few years so hoping its that whats kept my immune system tip top

I haven't had a cold for over 2 years but I did get covid (after 3 jabs)! I've been mingling quite a bit (always within the rules) and have young kids at school.

So, I'd actually be thinking my immune system isn't that great if I'd had a "few colds" in the last 2 years but I suppose that depends on your job and what you've been doing. Also, maybe at least one of the colds was actually covid?

FactorXXX 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> I think that was NI?

The key wording has always been 'Should self-isolate'.
So, it rather depends on what is legally meant by 'Should' as opposed to 'Must'.  

Godwin 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

I had it a couple of weeks ago, took me 11 days to test negative. I am in the fortunate position I could self isolate, but you do not have to.
Found during self isolation I could only walk 3 miles then felt buggered. I am a few steps from countryside, so very little risk of spreading.
3 days after testing negative did a 22 mile walk, and I am not a fit flea, but I think it varies.

OP Bojo 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Godwin:

>  took me 11 days to test negative.

How soon after your earliest symptoms did you first test positive?

Godwin 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Within 24 hours. My wife works in a school and has been testing twice a week, though I very rarely test, we have tests in the house. 
The symptoms were all there and I thought uh oh, and I tested as per instructions, and the test was loud and clear.
TBH I thought I was immune, and was getting a bit over confident. Having said that, in a way I am glad to have had it, BUT, am aware that just because it was OK this time, I might not be so lucky next time.

OP Bojo 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure my symptoms started coming out circa last Monday night before I tested on Thursday.

Dax H 18 Apr 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

> On the other hand, if the workplace needs people physically on site, then in all probability Covid will be treated like all other illnesses .

That depends on the employer, I don't want people in with covid full stop. To encourage them to test if in doubt I pay full sick pay but I still get the odd person coming in with symptoms who havnt tested because Boris said covid is over (their words not mine) 

I catch anyone showing symptoms and I insist they take a test. 

I might be going a bit ott but it's 4 months since I had it and I still need a rest after a flight of stairs and 9 months since one of my guys had it and he is now on a steroid inhaler and has brain fog / memory problems. 

For the record I only had a mild flu and my guy had zero symptoms, he only tested because he had been at the pub with someone who tested positive. 

Juicymite86 19 Apr 2022

Theres a chance definitely one was, but i felt fine just a normal winter cold and cracked on with things fine

russellcampbell 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

My wife arrived back [in Scotland] on Sunday night after a few days in London. Said it was exceptionally busy and most folks weren't wearing masks so she stopped wearing one. Was feeling a bit rough [chesty cough] so did a lateral flow test which was negative. Did 2 more on Monday which had a faint second line so went for a PCR test. Got positive result yesterday. She is staying inside until she gets 2 negatives in days 5 and 6  or later. She is feeling  like she has a bad cold and is very tired but no worse. Hope it stays that way. We are sleeping in separate beds [at my age not the sacrifice it would be for you young bucks!] I am testing every morning but getting out and about, wearing a mask in shops, on buses, etc. Hope I stay negative as I've got a room booked in Ambleside YH in 8 days.
Mind you, went for a walk with a pal yesterday up Arthur's Seat. Felt the sickest I've felt in a long time. - £11 for 2 pints of Deuchers in a very ordinary pub on the Royal Mile. F*** me!!!!!!!! No wonder Tom in Edinburgh gets upset at the Tories.

Fat Bumbly2 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Nearly two months on from a sore throat and positive test, and I am finally past the 3 mile stage..  Just

girlymonkey 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

I'm pretty bored of the positive tests now! 

I went for a run yesterday, totally normal. No coughing fits and not tired after, so really want to get back to work. Sadly, it looks like I won't manage this week now ☹️

Going to go for a cycle in a wee while, and dogs need walked, but I can't even go and do food shopping! On the plus side, around half my friends are currently positive, so can socialise plenty!

girlymonkey 21 Apr 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Woohoo, first negative today! I might still make it in to work tomorrow! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...