UKC

Peak limestone bouldering sit starts 6c - 7c

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climb the peak 15 Apr 2022

I've hurt my ankle and probably shouldn't be dropping off boulders from any meaningful height.

I've built up a list of low down gritstone boulders but now the seasons are changing I'm looking for low down limestone boulders.

Does anyone have suggestions for peak district limestone boulders that stay very low to the ground in the 6c - 7c range?

Much appreciated!

Alex

Cake 15 Apr 2022
In reply to climb the peak:

Some traverses at Raventor and Water cum Jolly

Bolehillbilly 15 Apr 2022

Plenty of traverses at The P and Shining Cliff in Matlock, you can link a few  together if they feel easy as they're described in sections. The low traverse at Rheinstor. Plenty at Nudas Tartan like Scenic Route, Meltdown and Slot Machine and endless link ups. 

Thanks! Do you think the Meltdown is likely to be dry? I throught Nudas seeped a fair bit until mid summer?

Just seen that Tarantula had a log on the 8th so looks promising!

Stairclimber 15 Apr 2022

Consider a trip to Pleasley Vale. 30m (?) long classic traverse that is barely off the ground plus some shorter much harder sections nearby. Beautiful setting this time of the year. 10 mins from M1 junction 29. 

mark20 15 Apr 2022

The low roof at the left end of the Wave buttress at Anston Stones - Colt, Bullet, Beretta etc 

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! 

mrjonathanr 15 Apr 2022

lees bottom

SDM 16 Apr 2022

The wave area at Anston has a 6B, 6C, 7B+, 7C+ and various other harder variations that go no higher than shoulder height. There is also a 7A which goes a bit higher but all the difficulty is in the first 2 moves so might be ok.

Bullet Roof also at Anston has a 7A, a 7A+, and a one move 7B sitstart. There's also a 7C and a 7C+ that are lowball but dynamic so may not suitable.

All the difficulty in A6 Girls 7C and The Only Way is A6 7C+ at Lees Bottom is in the first 2 moves from the sitstart. Your feet are about 2 foot off the ground when you reach the top hold. Most of the other straight ups might be too high to be suitable.

There's lots of roadside lowballs to the left of Sean's Roof at Blackwell Dale.

Not limestone but there's a few lowballs at Churnet such as In Memory of Mr Fox 7B, Grasshopper Block, Block of Thebes, and lots of low traverses which can be good in summer. I would avoid the Witness block with an injured ankle: the roof may be lowball but the topouts are slopey and have been known to eject people at pace in awkward directions.

If your ankle is really bad, I'm not sure I'd fancy the Meltdown unless you've got some grades in hand. The top's easy but the jugs can be quite slippery and you might want to down climb a few moves rather than drop-off from the finishing hold. Most of the right side of the crag is very lowball.

climbingpixie 16 Apr 2022

Good thread! I've got a perennially dodgy ankle (and am a massive coward) so I'm always after recommendations for worthwhile low ball problems.

If you can be bothered writing it down, would you mind sharing your low ball grit list? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...