UKC

The best first 7a on Portland / the Purbecks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sabostar 17 Apr 2022

I'm ready to start having a go at a 7a outdoors. I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a good one or two to have a go at in the Purbecks or on Portland? 

The climbing guides tell some of the story and I know that one person's easy 7a could be another person's nemesis depending on style. I'm not particularly dynamic or strong but I'm ok on stuff that is slabby or vertical as opposed to overhanging.

Any suggestions much appreciated so I can go exploring and find a few projects to get my teeth into.

Paul Sagar 17 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

I’d recommend 

Sacred Angel (7a)

Last Rose of Summer (7a)

and

Wolfgang Forever (7a)

don’f bother with The Accelerator (7a) as it’s a micro route and you want your first 7a to be a proper one! A lot of people like Jurassic Shift (7a) but it’s my complete nemesis for some reason. 

AJM 17 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

It was an age ago that my memory comes from, but I would have thought that To Wish the Impossible (7a) would be a reasonable one, I recall that being techy rather than needing lots of dynamism or strength.

NomadET 17 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Second vote for Wolfgang forever 

Giles Davis 17 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Another vote for “To Wish the Impossible “. 

In reply to sabostar:

Not sure what it means but I climbed Last Rose of Summer on sight but failed on Wolfgang Forever three times. Wolfgang felt steeper and pumpier to me.

JimR 17 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Its been a while but I recall Mr Choo Choo on Dancing Ledge as being good.

In reply to sabostar:

Holy Handgrenade, the Cuttings. 

OP sabostar 18 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Thanks for all the suggestions - some of these routes look awsome!

John Alcock 18 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

To Wish the Impossible, Sacred Angel, Wolfgang Forever are all reasonable choices and great routes.

scott titt 20 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Purbeck!! 

Climber_Bill 20 Apr 2022
In reply to scott titt:

No, No, No!

Everyone knows it's the Purbecks, Peaks, Brecons.

mutt 20 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Peppercorn Rate on quarymans wall. 

Kevster 20 Apr 2022
In reply to mutt:

If that's the one I think it is. It's also good for indoor bred climbers. Quite easy to read between good holds. 

Only thing I'd say is the bolting isn't as comfortable as on some other routes. If I remember correctly. 

We used it as a warm up/ getting into the groove kinda route. Reliable and fun. 

Paul Sagar 20 Apr 2022
In reply to JimR:

Hard, not a good first 7a unless the climber is really a boulderer!

Paul Sagar 20 Apr 2022
In reply to mutt:

or Ancient Order of Freemarblers (7a) which is easier than Peppercorn imo

julesmckim 20 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Another vote for To Wish the Impossible. Mostly slabby, good holds when steep with places to shake out and recover. And it's great! Enjoy!

Pottsy84 21 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Just replying so this sits in my topics, also looking to break into 7a this summer and some good suggestions here, thanks.

mutt 22 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> or Ancient Order of Freemarblers (7a) which is easier than Peppercorn imo

Also a very good route to start on. Quarrymans wall is awesome.

Nic 22 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

Last Rose of Summer (like many Portland routes) is very reach dependent...if you can reach through the crux (I'm 6'0" with a +4 ape factor) the rest of the route is pretty steady.

try

Isle of Slingers (6c+)

while you're around - it's a great route and really 7a! (though I would say that...)

RockSteady 22 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

A Brutal Equation at Dancing Ledge is good, quite indoor style, big moves between big holds. 

I also really recommend Superfly Guy at Coastguard North, just really good, varied climbing in a nice location. 

Post edited at 12:16
 AJM 22 Apr 2022
In reply to mutt:

Peppercorn rate is 6c+ in the CC guide.

I don't say this to imply I agree with it or otherwise, just for information to the OP - for breaking into a new grade the sweet spot is probably low in the grade but consensus at that grade, after all!

mutt 22 Apr 2022
In reply to AJM:

> Peppercorn rate is 6c+ in the CC guide.

> I don't say this to imply I agree with it or otherwise, just for information to the OP - for breaking into a new grade the sweet spot is probably low in the grade but consensus at that grade, after all!

It's 7a in the rockfax though often declared a soft touch and thereby a good starting point imo.

mutt 22 Apr 2022
In reply to sabostar:

7a+ Took Me Lung ......

Oh no that's a 4+ .....

AJM 22 Apr 2022
In reply to mutt:

Yes, I know what Rockfax grade it is! But like I said, for some people the "so soft touch it's a grade less in the other guide" marker might not be one you want as a breaking-into-a-milestone-grade route, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Would you not find yourself wondering whether you'd really climbed the grade, if you had no other reference point than the guidebook (pretty inevitable, when breaking into a new grade, I'd have thought)? I feel like I probably would.

Iamgregp 22 Apr 2022
In reply to AJM:

> Would you not find yourself wondering whether you'd really climbed the grade, if you had no other reference point than the guidebook (pretty inevitable, when breaking into a new grade, I'd have thought)? I feel like I probably would.

Interesting question, and one that is relevant to me.  My first outdoor 6c is 6b+ in the Rockfax guide, 6c in the local guide.  I got it second go and though it was a shade harder than most of the 6b+ I climbed on that trip, but then it clearly wasn't as hard as other 6c routes in the same area.  So I dunno.  

I guess go with the ratings by other users on here - my routes biggest votes go on Low 6c so I'm taking it.   Besides, Rockfax are not the arbiter of grades here, and after some of the assertions Alan's made on here, I take their guides grades with a massive, massive pinch of salt!

Paul Sagar 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

Lol that’s what you get for climbing your first 6c in Kalymnos 

Paul Sagar 24 Apr 2022
In reply to AJM:

Yeah but Julie Ocean gets 7a in the CC, and Julie Ocean is 1) easier than Peppercorn Rate and 2) not 7a*

the CC guide be damned!

*even though it took me a billion goes to send Julie Ocean and I did Peppercorn in a session 

Iamgregp 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Ha! Busted!

Paul Sagar 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

Out of interest, what was the route? 

Iamgregp 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Tomboy at the beach. Got it second go.

Nearly onsighted it putting the draws in, which did on most other 6b+ that trip so I figure it’s a shade harder than most of them, but there’s not much in it. In all honestly it’s a tricky 6b+ or a soft 6c. 

I’m taking it, all the same.

Might skip 6c+ and spend a bit of time redpointing a 7a this year, which I hoping isn’t too ambitious…. Recommendations welcomed!

Post edited at 13:03
 Paul Sagar 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

If you’re going back to Kaly then

Hipponax (7a)

Iamgregp 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Funnily enough, I was thinking that one might be the one…

A mate of mine sent it on the last day of the trip last year, I had a go on it late on the day and although I want close to sending it, I managed to pull through the moves and go clip to clip so it felt doable… Suits my style too.

AJM 24 Apr 2022
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> Hard, not a good first 7a unless the climber is really a boulderer!

Mr Choo Choo - which bit did you think needed a boulderers strength for? I would have described it more as power endurance than having a brick hard crux that really stood out amidst easier ground, which is what I would have assumed from your description.

Paul Sagar 25 Apr 2022
In reply to AJM:

Overhangy and big moves = bouldery in my book It's pretty powerful.

Then again it was my first 7a of last year, done coming out of lockdown and when I still wasn't fully recovered from my accident (physically or psychologically). Having just got back from Leonidio, I'm sure I'd have a nicer time on it if I tried it tomorrow than I did last year!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...