UKC

Old Pitons - worth selling?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonzza 25 Apr 2022

I've ended up on possession of a large bundle of climbing gear. Some of it's almost brand new, while some of it is pretty old. For the most part I'm happy going through and seeing what I want to keep, what I can sell, and what needs to be chucked.

However in there are 5 pitons. They're something I know next to nothing about, so not sure if they can be sold or if they belong in a museum. 4 of them are made by Clog and have some signs of oxidation on the surface. The fifth is made by Grivel and appears to be a bit newer than the others, but does have some scratches.

Photos attached and any advice appreciated.

LucaC 25 Apr 2022
In reply to jonzza:

I'll give you £20 for them if you want to sell. 

a crap climber 25 Apr 2022
In reply to jonzza:

Might be interested in the one on the left. It's a Leeper and afiak they're not made any more so hard to get hold of. Looks a little big to add to the couple of pegs I carry in winter though.

The others, left to right, are a kingpin, knifeblade, channel and some kind of monster sized channel. The middle three are all still made and available from various companies. The right hand one is bigger than anything I've seen and probably superceded by modern pro, but I haven't been around as long as a lot of people on here so someone else will probably be able to identify it. 

Ian Parsons 25 Apr 2022
In reply to a crap climber:

The two on the right look like the 3/4" angle - often referred to as a 'standard angle' - and the 1 3/4" angle. The 'Leeper' on the left is presumably the Grivel Z mentioned by the OP; Ed Leeper no longer makes the originals but the Grivel model is current.

Edit: That last bit might be wrong; have just checked the Grivel website and not a piton to be seen!

Post edited at 18:36
OP jonzza 26 Apr 2022
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Thanks everyone for your input.

At the risk of doing myself out of a potential sale, Ian it looks like you were right, grivel piton can be found here (weird it can't be found on the grivel site though) https://www.braemarmountainsports.com/climbing-equipment-accessories/climbi...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...