UKC

Peak District circular walk with a pub

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 02 May 2022

Looking at staying somewhere nice with my wife for a night and doing one or two circular walks. 

Preferably with a walk for around 10 miles from the accommodation and returning for food and drink without having the need to drive.

Open to suggestions

Thanks all 

tehmarks 02 May 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

The Edale skyline from the Cheshire Cheese Inn in Hope would be an obvious option (if a bit bland if you've done it before), and it's a particularly nice pub. Offhand I think it's a bit longer than 10 miles though - a shorter option would be to do it from Edale, staying in one of the Edale pubs, or cut it short at Edale and take the train one stop back to Hope.

Down the Derwent and back 'over the top' (or vice-versa) from The Millstone or Scotsman's Pack would be another good option. If you're feeling leggy you can extend it all the way to Calver and up the hill to Curbar Gap (or, even further, towards Birchen and Gardom's), but it could also be shortened at various points.

Post edited at 18:28
 tjdodd 02 May 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Edale Skyline is about 20 miles and probably at least 7 hours long.  

Castleton through Cave Dale up to Mam Tor along the ridge to Lose Hill down to Hope and back is a nice walk.

Edale up Grindsbrook Clough over to Kinder Downfall, retrace steps to top of Jacobs Ladder and then down and back to Edale would be good. 

Old Glossop up onto Bleaklow, then cross to the B29 crash site on higher shelf stones.  Either drop back to Old Glossop from there or go onto the Pennine Way nearly to the A57 then drop down Doctor's Gate.

tehmarks 02 May 2022
In reply to tjdodd:

> Edale Skyline is about 20 miles and probably at least 7 hours long. 

The full version is a bit long - but it's easy to make shorter, either by dropping down into Edale early or starting in Edale and eliminating sections. 

I started at North Lees at noon the last time I did it, walked there via Hathersage and the Derwent, and was in the Cheshire Cheese for last food orders at 20:00 - I can't recommend that for anyone wanting a casual day out, but seven hours to do just the skyline seems a bit much?

tjdodd 02 May 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

8-10 hours on most sites for walking the skyline

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/index.php?i=1310

To the op, worth looking at the route cards on UKH

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/find.php

Lots of options in the Peak

tehmarks 02 May 2022
In reply to tjdodd:

It's not the first time I've been accused of walking unrealistically quickly, in fairness. I should probably stay out of walking recommendation threads!

My original point still stands though - there are many shorter variations that could be taken, and if one hasn't been up there before it's a very pleasant bit of moor.

OP andyd1970 02 May 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

Thanks guys 

I will have a look as I have done some bits but not all of the above 

Ramblin dave 02 May 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

Yeah, you basically can't chuck a brick out of Hope without hitting a nice walking route. And that's before you start looking at nice linear walks along the route of the train.

deacondeacon 03 May 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

I prefer the limestone areas for walking. The views don't tend to be as big but the wildlife is much more diverse, it's quieter and there's no midges 🙂 

phizz4 03 May 2022
In reply to andyd1970:

You can do a good circular walk based on Monyash, incorporating Lathkill Dale, and there is an excellent pub, and cafe, in the village.

Also, based from Longnor, do Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill. Sadly, the Quiet woman pub in Earl Sterndale is no longer open (as far as I know).

Also, from the pub in Crowdecote, go over High Wheeldon, Aldery, Parkhouse and Chrome Hills.

I've also done a good walk from the Millers Dale car park,, along the Limestone Way, over to Chelmorton, excellent pub, then back via Blackwell, Pennine Bridleway back onto the Monsall trail and so to Millers Dale.

nigel n 03 May 2022
In reply to phizz4:

Yes, the Quiet Woman has remained closed since Ken the landlord died in August 2020.  A sad loss. Although Jenny still lives there she has no desire to re-open the pub.

BTW the Anglers Rest in Millers Dale is a very pleasant place to spend time during or after a day out in that part of the world.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...