UKC

"Dead or alive you're coming with me."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 08 May 2022

Have you seen RoboCop (1987)? Could it be the greatest film of all time?

I enjoyed it more retrospectively, I think, being a nuanced story and the humour's as dark as it's quirky. Visually slick. Searched to see if it was a book originally, because I'd buy that for a dollar, but apparently it was written for the screen.

The stop motion animation of ED-209 was also a joy to behold (after decades of CGI glossiness).

philipivan 08 May 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

Was one of the first 18 films I saw when I was about 12. Starship troopers, total recall and the book of running man give a similar feel of dark future/ humour. 

Tom Valentine 08 May 2022

> Have you seen RoboCop (1987)? Could it be the greatest film of all time?

Obviously your question is a joke,

Tombstone was released in the same decade!

NaCl 08 May 2022

Great shout, one of my favourite films ever - very underrated imo. The recent remake was ok but frankly didn't bring anything that new to the table really

ThunderCat 08 May 2022

Loved it. "I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR" 😂

One massive screw up by Clarence Bodicker and Dick Jones that I think was unforgiveable, was the fact the Jones actually made a recording of himself admitting that he was going to murder Bob Morton, and then after Bodicker plays it to Morton, he leaves it in the bloody DVD player and then walks out of the apartment before blowing up the place.

You've got to be pretty confident that the explosion is going to remove absolutely every trace of that recording, right? Surely a decent assassin would remove the disk before lobbing in the grenade? And for Jones to record himself admitting to it?

I know it's a plot device, and I know I'm over thinking it, but suspension of disbelief and all that... It's always bugged me a bit. 

The New NickB 08 May 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Tombstone was released in the same decade!

No it wasn't.

Clauso 08 May 2022

> Have you seen RoboCop (1987)? Could it be the greatest film of all time?

Fuji Provia is better.

lorentz 08 May 2022

"College boy, huh... I bet you think you're pretty smart? Think you can outsmart a bullet?"

ALF_BELF 09 May 2022

Me and my brother used to pause the vhs so we could get a better look at the guy melting from toxic waste, you could jog through in slo mo too. The absolute joy on watching a man melt by toxic waste on a video is frankly underrated and not talked about enough.

Tom Valentine 09 May 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

Sorry, I should have said "within a decade".

Dax H 10 May 2022
In reply to philipivan:

> the book of running man give a similar feel of dark future/ humour. 

Shame they made such a pigs arse of the film. 

Steven King wrote the long walk under the same pen name, one of my favorite books. 

philipivan 10 May 2022
In reply to Dax H:

I read the Bachmann books as a teenager. Perfect! Tried to watch Doctor Sleep just now on Netflix just now, gave up. I really enjoyed that one with jfk / time travel though. 

nathan79 10 May 2022
In reply to ALF_BELF:

For me and my pals it was the bit where his hands gets shotgunned. A scene I think was cut out of later versions.

ThunderCat 11 May 2022
In reply to nathan79:

There's the toilet scene where all of the execs nervously  hurry to leave when Jones is coming out of the cubicle.  You see a close up shot of one guy who rushed so much he's actually wet the front of his trousers. I'm sure that bit gets cut out when they show it on tv

JohnO1978 11 May 2022

One I watched when it first came out as a young lad and one I still love to watch to this day, very clever film, Verhoven genius. 

I was lucky enough to meet Pete Weller too a couple of years ago and he was absolute gent. 

Bobling 11 May 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> Shame they made such a pigs arse of the film. 

> Steven King wrote the long walk under the same pen name, one of my favorite books. 

You and me both.  Don't know quite why but I could read it over and over, along with the Mist, man's a genius.  

ThunderCat 11 May 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> Shame they made such a pigs arse of the film. 

> Steven King wrote the long walk under the same pen name, one of my favorite books. 

Now if you want to talk about making a pigs arse of a film from a Stephen King book, let's have a look The Lawnmower Man.  Not a single element of the story is there.  Nothing at all apart from the title.  Ok, maybe the mowing of a bit of grass.  But that's about it

NaCl 23 May 2022

Just to resurrect this thread, Robocop has been re-released as a 4k and it's currently in (some) cinemas. I was searching for it the other night to find out if it was on a streaming platform and it came up as being in cinemas. Saw it last night - freaking awesome. 

wercat 23 May 2022
In reply to NaCl:

Ken Russell called it the greatest science fiction since Metropolis

In reply to wercat:

Further insights here where the director talks of the resurrection story never being far from his mind while he was creating it and this is why he had Robocop walking over water when he kills Clarence Boddicker at the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/may/16/robocop-american-jesus-paul...

RoboCop... Jesus... Who'd have thunk it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...