UKC

Replacement for Sony RX100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 09 May 2022

I am going round and round and getting very confused looking at a replacement camera for my RX100 MKIII which is on the way out (faulty model selection dial).

I purely want excellent image quality, and am not fussed about all the video/vlogging/social media tripe that seems to accompany a lot of the compacts available.

It has to be compact and it has to have amazing image quality - sharp all over the frame, great colours and perhaps the ability to blend exposures in camera.

Any stand outs?  Any bad experiences?  

Panasonic GX9 with the 12-32mm lens is a possibility.

Panasonic LX10?  Canon G7X?

joeramsay 09 May 2022
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

I asked this a few weeks ago (my requirements are pretty similar to yours) and the conclusion seemed to be to just get another rx100. Thread is https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/photography/gm-1_vs_rx100_help_me_choose-... if you're interested. I think fordes still have the mark 1 for the same price 

Dan Arkle 09 May 2022

I have a scrap m100 if you wanted to try swapping out the mode dial. 

OP Jamie Hageman 09 May 2022
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks Dan, that's great... but all those tiny screws and my giant sausage-fingers might not go well together.  In fact the last time I took something apart (an electric drill) I ended up with a few small pieces left over at the end with no idea where they went.  

Do you have any experience with taking cameras apart?  

Post edited at 09:43
In reply to joeramsay:

Yes Joe, I have read that.  I was wanting to try something different as my MKIII RX100 hasn't lasted long at all.  I also find pictures are not as sharp as they could be, and in fact my MKI performed better in that area.  

Front runners so far are Panasonic's GX9 and Canon's G7X.

Robert Durran 09 May 2022

> Front runners so far are Panasonic's GX9 and Canon's G7X.

Panasonic LX100?

In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes Robert, that was one I was looking at too, along with the LX10.  Can't remember why I decided against them though!

I just want wide angle, sharp images, big sensor, great colours, compact.

Brian Pollock 09 May 2022

Based on what you have produced with the RX100 I'm pretty sure it will be hard to miss the mark with most modern cameras. 

That said, my suggestion would be if you're thinking of getting an interchangeable lens camera rather than fixed, it may be worth picking your preferred lens first and body second. My impression of many new cameras is that you pay for video specs and older iterations will likely produce comparable image quality paired with the same lens. Ultimately the lens is going to determine a lot of the important stuff like focal range, sharpness and also how compact the whole package is in the end. 

If you're thinking of carrying it in a pocket, options are probably going to be fairly limited (perhaps mostly to the options you've suggested) but much more extensive if you would be prepared to accept something relatively lightweight but not pocketable (i.e. Fuji xt-10 / 20 / 30; Olympus EM 10 / 5, Nikon Z50 / ZFC; Sony A something or other; etc). paired with a compact wide angle.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 May 2022

I replaced my Panasonic LX100 back in October, which I had for about three years with the RX100vii after a lot mulling over the cost - it had £100 off. No regrets so far,

Chris

blurty 09 May 2022

I love my RX100 and it's taken some real punishment over the years and produced some excellent images.

You've made me realise I need to get a good second hand one ASAP!

In reply to Brian Pollock:

Thanks Brian and Chris.  I shall do a bit more research.  A MKI RX100 for less than £300 is a good buy and I am certainly tempted, but 28mm wide is not wide enough for me having had the 24mm on the MKIII.  

I'm most interested in the Panasonic GX9 mirrorless with the 12-32mm.  Anyone got one or something similar to comment?

jonesdwill 10 May 2022

I've got a G80, and tend to pair it with a 14mm pancake lens if I'm climbing - so similar to the GX9 with the 12-32mm, and either a 50mm prime or 12-60mm kit lens if not. This is the only 'proper' camera I've owned but is relatively compact and lightweight, and seemingly takes decent photos (despite Panasonic marketing it as a vlogging camera)..

The only thing is it's slightly too big to fit in a pocket so I have to use a camera pouch on my harness which is a bit of a faff. That being said, the GX9 looks considerably smaller so would probably work quite well. I'm a bit jealous of the compacts though - I'd rather something I don't mind beating up a bit.

Also, m43 lenses generally come cheaper due to the smaller sensor, which is a bonus!

Hope that helps, Will.

OP Jamie Hageman 11 May 2022
In reply to jonesdwill:

Thanks Will, yes indeed, very helpful and I've enjoyed looking through your super gallery here.

OP Jamie Hageman 06 Jun 2022

Thanks for the replies and advice.  I have just bought the MKI Sony RX100, a camera I had for a solid seven years and which I got on very well with.  Ffordes Photographic have new ones for £249 so a good price for a good camera. 

Cheers, Jamie

OP Jamie Hageman 08 Jun 2022

Camera arrived today from Ffordes.  Clearly not new as advertised - tatty box, opened, mark on lens, fingerprint on rear screen, battery connectors scratched from use.  It's going back for a refund.  It was clearly a shop demo model as was confirmed after a phone call this arvo.  

Back to the drawing board

Solaris 09 Jun 2022

Sorry to hear that, and not what you'd expect from Ffordes. But please keep us posted: I am wondering what to replace my Mk II with when it dies.

OP Jamie Hageman 20 Jun 2022
In reply to Solaris:

I bought a new RX100 MKIII on Ebay for £250.  It's actually new this time!  Very happy and back out taking photos again.  

Fraser 20 Jun 2022

That's a really decent bargain. I've just this second ordered a used ("as new") one from MPB for £350!

OP Jamie Hageman 21 Jun 2022
In reply to Fraser:

Buying on Ebay is always going to be a risk, but over the years I've got an idea from listings/users/communication etc on how safe a particular purchase will be.  I was chatting to a pro photographer about this last week, and he buys much of his gear on Ebay and has always had success - he too though is very careful about checking out sellers, communicating and getting a feeling for the true condition of the item.  

After my experience with Ffordes (my first camera shop purchase since buying a Ricoh R1 many many years ago) I decided that I was willing to take a risk with an Ebay purchase. 

Solaris 21 Jun 2022

As Fraser says, that's a bargain. Less than I paid for my Mk II in a sale! Happy for you, and look forward to seeing the results (which I know I'll wish I could emulate).

Also interesting to hear about Ebay from a purchaser's perspective. I've never used it but am steeling myself to sign up to sell a Ricoh GR1v so as to keep Mrs Solaris sweet when I buy a new lens!

Brian Pollock 22 Jun 2022
In reply to Solaris:

If selling on eBay, they often do promotions for sellers (e.g. 80% off selling fees). Worth signing up and waiting for one of those.

PPP 22 Jun 2022

I might be biased as I had RX100 m6 (I think). Don’t get me wrong - I shot in film, DSLR, m43, Fuji X100… I used to work in events too. 

I just use an iPhone 12 mini now, and planning to upgrade to the 14 pro this year. It’s quick, photos are great without needing to edit (but you can and there’s enough flexibility…), it’s waterproof, drop-proof and small so it’s always with me. I am no longer in control I used to be in, but computational photography trumps the regular joe like me. 

Solaris 22 Jun 2022
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Useful tip, didn't know that. Thanks.

galpinos 23 Jun 2022
In reply to PPP:

Do you enjoy taking photos as much when using it? I have a decent iphone (11Pro I think?) but still don't enjoy the process of taking a photo as much as with my X-T1 and as such, I take fewer photos with my phone and of those I do take, I generally like them less......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...