UKC

Valais Hikes with a summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Iggy_B 12 May 2022

Inspired by the Solo Peaks in the Alps thread - every summer I spend a chunk of time in Saas or Zermatt and invariably some part of that is partnerless. In anticipation of the same thing happening this summer I've been scouring the map to look for some new one day hikes in the area with a summit. The sort of walk you can get a croissant from the Coop as soon as it opens then start, or hop on a bus, stand on a summit and be back in time to have a beer in the campsite and tap up partners for something more serious.

Usual candidates that I have done to death in Saas: Jegihorn, Mittaghorn and Joderhorn. Zermatt: Oberrothorn, Mettelhorn, Riffelhorn, Stockhorn.

I've never done either Mallig or Wisshorn as they never looked that inspirational.

I've just read about the VF on the Almagellerhorn so that's on my list. Egginer I think I'd save for climbing with a partner.

Any other recommendations for the two valleys?

Cheers,

Iain

philipjardine 12 May 2022
In reply to Iggy_B:

A bit more towards Stalden there a lots of things.  The Augstbordhorn above the little ski lifts at Moosalp is a lovely summit.  I have done it a few times in spring on skis but I am sure its a lovely walk as well.  On the other side of the valley there are hills above Grächen but the lifts there are a lot more numerous and go higher, so spoil it a bit.  The amazing little "dial-up" lift to Jungen is worth going on at that end of the valley as well.

SouthernSteve 12 May 2022
In reply to philipjardine:

Perhaps look at some of the walkers haute route guides for inspiration. 

HomerTheFat 12 May 2022
In reply to Iggy_B:

Platthorn, Mettelhorn (bit of a longer day)

Iggy_B 12 May 2022
In reply to HomerTheFat/all:

I have climbed the Mettelhorn twice, once in 2009 and once in 2018 and spent the whole of the second time wondering what I was doing back on that awful slog! I don't think I could face a third time!

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

pookie 12 May 2022
In reply to Iggy_B:

There's also a new VF that starts just near the Britannia Hut that I'm hoping to do this summer if I can lose the kids for a day!

https://www.saas-fee.ch/en/summer-activities/climbing-mountaineering/via-fe...

Suncream 12 May 2022
In reply to pookie:

> There's also a new VF that starts just near the Britannia Hut that I'm hoping to do this summer if I can lose the kids for a day!

Britannia Klettersteig (VF4B)

It's fine, it certainly wouldn't take a whole day if you took the lift. I'm not sure it's worth making a special trip for, but rather killing a few hours when you're at the hut. It doesn't really arrive at a summit.

daviemore 14 May 2022
In reply to Iggy_B:

Good day out with an optional summit is:

Bus to Mattmark; Ofental; Jazzilucke; east of Jazzihorn; optional ascent of the Jazzihorn which is fairly scrappy; Antronapass; high level path down Furggtal to top of chairlift and down to Saas Almagell. Or vice versa though seem to remember the transport times dont work as well that way.

There are a few good crossover trips towards Antrona/Zwischbergen which are feasible in a long day if you are fast, but better stretched over a couple of days using the bivi huts on the Italian side.

Sean Kelly 15 May 2022
In reply to Iggy_B:

Trifthorn, Wellenkuppe, Strahlhorn, or Gornergrat to warm up. Egginer is ok, not hard really. 

philipjardine 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

"Trifthorn, Wellenkuppe, Strahlhorn".  These arent one day hikes from the valley.  I certainly wouldn't do any of them solo either, particularly the Strahlhorn where there are crevasse accidents frequently now.

Post edited at 15:38
 Sean Kelly 15 May 2022
In reply to philipjardine:

The latter I certainly did solo. Interesting.

Iggy_B 15 May 2022
In reply to Sean Kelly:

It's definitely not a solo nowadays having done it a couple of years ago.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Bill Thomson 16 May 2022
In reply to Iggy_B:

You mention Jegihorn, but assuming you mean the normal ridge up, there is an excellent VF up this too, coming the opposite direction to the normal route. Can easily do in a day with the lift. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...