UKC

Which canal (part 2) for walking trip..?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 15 May 2022

Following the previous canal discussion a mate and I would like a 3 day trip walking on the canal staying in pubs or b&b's etc....he is disabled through having about 10% vision....he has lost his confidence on hills but is keen on a canal walk ideas....

I was thinking maybe Llangollen or part of the Leeds Liverpool.....Shropie may be a good option?

Ideally it'll be nice countryside but with pleasant places for 3 nights...

Any suggestions appreciated...

deepstar 15 May 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I walked the Kennet and Avon canal a couple of years ago. Taking three days to do it, I think it is about 86 miles between Reading and Bath. lots of lovey countryside, once you get away from Reading and plenty of pubs along the way ( this may have changed a bit since covid came along). A useful tip I found out about after I'd done it was to contact British Waterways to get a key for the many taps along the way, this saves you carrying loads of fresh water.

James Malloch 15 May 2022
In reply to deepstar:

> I walked the Kennet and Avon canal a couple of years ago. Taking three days to do it, I think it is about 86 miles between Reading and Bath. lots of lovey countryside, once you get away from Reading and plenty of pubs along the way ( this may have changed a bit since covid came along). A useful tip I found out about after I'd done it was to contact British Waterways to get a key for the many taps along the way, this saves you carrying loads of fresh water.

And toilets!

CantClimbTom 15 May 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Not what you are asking about, I know you wanted walking but have you considered a 3 day canal boat holiday. I still remember going over the (Llangollen canal) https://www.pontcysyllte-aqueduct.co.uk/ aqueduct as a kid and still considering booking similar for my family at some point 

toad 15 May 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

The Montgomery Canal is really interesting. Only partly restored and a line straight into the heart of mid Wales, without the endless trail of hire boats you see on the llangollen

toad 15 May 2022
In reply to abr1966:

The Grantham Canal has good towpaths and lots of little villages in a surprisingly pretty part of the world

arch 15 May 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I doubt it would tick all your boxes, but the Ashby runs through some very nice countryside. It's only 20 odd miles though, but it is flat all the way.

tehmarks 15 May 2022
In reply to abr1966:

The Macclesfield and Peak Forest are very beautiful - possibly my two favourite canals from the watery side of things, and I think could make a good walk. And if you finish at Bugsworth Basin you're a short walk from the Old Post Office in Chinley, which is an outstanding pub. And onward train connections to Manchester. Or if you finish in Ashton, you're only a short walk from a stabbing and onward tram connections to Manchester

I've not cruised them myself and don't know about the accommodation situation, but the Huddersfield Narrow or Rochdale canals could be really interesting.

In reply to abr1966:

Kennet and Avon as said is famously nice for this. Loads of interesting stuff on or very near the canal so you could easily take longer over it.

Leeds Liverpool has some really nice bits but I'd have to assume the grim bits would take the edge off.

phizz4 15 May 2022
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I would think that the Llangollen canal/Shropshire Union canal, from Ellesmere to Chirk, then Chirk to Llangollen, would suit. There is the Narrowboat Inn after leaving Ellesmere, then plenty of choice in Chirk and Llangollen.

BuzyG 16 May 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Have walked a number of Canals with my wife. Kennet and Avon has been our favourite thus far. Between Devises and Bath is the more interesting end, if like us, you can't make 86 miles in 3 days. It's also better for train services along that end of the canal.

Post edited at 02:21
In reply to abr1966:

A lot of the Great Glen Way follows the Caledonian Canal or the old railway line from Fort William to Fort Augustus. The section alongside Loch Lochy fairly flat too. Three days 17, 19 and 17km. 

Fort Augustus to Inverness section really hilly so not what you're after.  

OP abr1966 16 May 2022
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Thanks everyone for the replies...

We've decided on the Llangollen canal...

Day 1 Nantwich to Whitchurch

Day 2 Whitchurch to Ellesmere

Day 3 Ellesmere to Chirk

I'm really looking forward to it....no navigation....flat...pubs along the way and pleasant distances each day with lightweight packs...!

BuzyG 16 May 2022
In reply to abr1966:

Enjoy. If you have time take a barge trip over the Aqueduct.  Having walked across it a few times it was quite different and rather wonderful to go over on a barge.

Edit: Just realised you are stopping at Chirk.

Post edited at 20:08
 Ceiriog Chris 16 May 2022
In reply to abr1966:

I really hope you both have a cracking time, however you've got to add an extra day and do Chirk to Llangollen ? you'll miss out on the 2 amazing viaducts, a couple of tunnels which you can walk through, some  really good canal side pubs, and the amazing views of the Eglysweg escarpment and Dinas bran, and Llan itself, 

In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

> I really hope you both have a cracking time, however you've got to add an extra day and do Chirk to Llangollen ? 

This. Don't miss that bit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...