UKC

Tryfan routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sleepymouse 28 May 2022

Good evening

Myself and my wife are off to North Wales in June. We would like to walk/scramble up Tryfan. Would anyone be able to give me an idea of the easier routes up and down. We have experience of low grade scrambles in the Alps but that was a few years ago and we are both somewhat older.

Thank you in advance

midgen 28 May 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

The North Ridge is the best easy way up (Grade 1), it's pretty busy though.

I usually head up Heather Terrace and take one of the lines up the East face to dodge the crowds. The better lines there are grade 2 and above though.

Heading down, either down the south Ridge and left back onto Heather Terrace, or right down the scree...alternatively just reverse the north ridge. 

Tony Buckley 28 May 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Take the path from the Ogwen valley to Llyn Bochlwyd and from there to the col between Tryfan and Glyder Fach.  Turn left and head up the south ridge to the summit.

It's in no way extreme, but I have seen nervous walkers intimidated by it so I'm not going to say it's a stroll no matter how much of a jaunt most people find it to be.  It's nowhere close to being as difficult as an alpine scramble and it's scarcely difficult enough to call a scramble; if you're used to mountain tracks you'll wonder what the fuss might be.

The north ridge is a little more awkward.  Though you can vary the route pretty much at will to seek out harder or easier lines as you wish, there's a move at the top which you're going to have to do.  It's more awkward than difficult, a couple of steps downwards facing the rock, and again you'll have done much worse elsewhere.

So keep a steady head and you'll be fine.  Whichever route you take, Tryfan is a splendid hill and well worth getting to know.

T.

CantClimbTom 28 May 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

As a primary school aged kid in the car coming from Capel Curig towards Ogwen... as I caught my first sight of Tryfan (East aspect), that's the moment I realised I wanted to climb/mountaineer 

kaiser 28 May 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Probably obvious, but wait for a clear day as people can become disorientated on steep ground in bad weather.  

I would say the main N ridge route is the best for you.  When heading up the main path from the A5 don't branch off right (upwards) too early, wait until the path turns to scree, then start up and right.   

CantClimbTom 28 May 2022
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Whether you walk/scramble the North ridge, or from  bwlch Tryfan in the South...

I recommend you descend via bwlch Tryfan (using the path to the west of far south peak (although which path just there isn't a big deal) then down past Llyn / Cwm Bochlwyd

If you drive? Beware that this is an immensely popular location with very limited parking. Parking on roadside rather than parking bay may get you a ticket. Be VERY EARLY to find a space and accept you may not park exactly where you wanted and had to walk along the road a bit

Martin Hore 28 May 2022
In reply to Tony Buckley:

> Take the path from the Ogwen valley to Llyn Bochlwyd and from there to the col between Tryfan and Glyder Fach.  Turn left and head up the south ridge to the summit.

The North Ridge is excellent. But if in any doubt about your ability to do the North Ridge, the route above is the way to go. Yes, its the normal walkers' route to the summit, but there are lots of optional variations to add scrambling interest. On the other hand, the North Ridge has one section near the top which can't easily be avoided and which I would say is top-end for a grade 1 scramble. 

Enjoy the day!

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...