UKC

Ninja warrior shoe choice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark s 29 May 2022

A mate has an audition for ninja warrior and asked what sticky trainers there are. I suggested guide tennies.

Any other ideas?

PaulJepson 29 May 2022
In reply to mark s:

Too heavy. You want what the parkour guys are in and they are all in flat, lightweight trainers like Asics. 

Sealwife 29 May 2022
In reply to mark s:

Evolv Cruisers maybe?  I have a pair of the canvas ones, they are very lightweight, nimble and sticky soled.

In reply to mark s:

Five Ten mtn bike shoes?

jimtitt 30 May 2022
In reply to mark s:

Climbing footwear is amazingly un-sticky, a long time ago I was pulled in to advise on a Jeux sans Frontieres thingy which involved chimneying up inside a metal tube and rock boots were worst, far worse than the trainers I was wearing. Indoor tennis/squash shoes were the best not suprisingly since they are meant to stick to a varnished floor.

The Norris 30 May 2022
In reply to Currently Resting:

When I wear my 5.10 mtb shoes round sainsbury's a the trolley end up pulling me round the corners as they are so ungrippy on that particular surface. It's odd as they sound like they stick to the floor just after being washed... maybe they pick up dust and dirt really quick and lose their tackiness?

ExiledScot 30 May 2022
In reply to mark s:

Climbing shoes grip well on rough rock, on a painted smooth surface proper boat deck shoes would do better, they might not differ much from indoor non marking tennis or squash soles mentioned above.

Steve Claw 30 May 2022
In reply to mark s:

I would look at the videos and see what everyone else is wearing.

Personally I find "Street trainers" good at gripping on most surfaces. Skate shoes being the best, Globes, DC's etc

AlanLittle 30 May 2022
In reply to Currently Resting:

> Five Ten mtn bike shoes?

Most mountain bike shoes have (fairly) stiff soles so as to not waste energy wrapping rubber round the pedals. Would be like trying to do a bouldering comp in mountain boots.

Post edited at 09:20
 ianstevens 30 May 2022
In reply to mark s:

Scarpa Gecko Air

Light, sticky rubber, and you can run about in them

Clauso 30 May 2022
In reply to mark s:

Advise him to wear wellies if he wants a signature look.

ExiledScot 30 May 2022
In reply to Clauso:

Any caver worth their salt could have done it in dunlop suretreads (best welly ever made, but sadly discontinued).

In reply to mark s:

As much as I hate writing these words, those Vibram 5 finger jobbies could be good!

tehmarks 30 May 2022
In reply to mark s:

Any of the popular parkour training shoes - if he's feeling particularly flush I'd suggest buying a pair of Ollos and supporting a small community-grown company, but after Brexit the cost of import and postage is 40€ - about half the values of the shoes themselves.

https://ollopk.com/

Otherwise, any light, flat, no-frills trainer. Approach shoes are probably too stiff as well as too heavy, but I'm looking at that from a parkour perspective rather than a ninja warrior one.

Post edited at 12:25
 The New NickB 30 May 2022
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I’ve got some that I was given for taking part in a study on running form. They are kind of similar to the split toe Jika Tabi style ninja shoes, but I have never been impressed with the grip. 

Lurking Dave 01 Jun 2022
In reply to mark s:

Inov-8 bare XF would be my suggestion

morpcat 01 Jun 2022
In reply to mark s:

A thin trainer like Merrell Trail Glove, Inov8 Bare XF, or New Balance Minimus. You can search for best shoes for ninja warrior or best shoes for parkour and get more alternatives.

These type of trainers will keep the weight down and maximise sensitivity. You want to avoid anything heavy, stiff-soled, or with thick padding.

If you've never worn this type of trainer before it can take some getting used to, as you don't have the same level of heel cushioning as other trainers and it requires a different technique for running and landing jumps. 

Jimp97 01 Jun 2022
In reply to mark s:

altra lone peaks would be my suggestion

CampusBored 01 Jun 2022
In reply to mark s:

Hi Mark,

Magnus Midtbo has a good Ninja Warrior series on his YouTube channel at the moment, consensus seems to be lightweight running shoes for grip and speed..

Toby Segar (Popular Youtube Parkour / Free Runner / UK Ninja Warrior Competitor) uses Adidas Galaxy 5 Shoes.. 

I might see your mate at the auditions! Best of luck to him..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...