UKC

IPhone backup/restore question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning all. 

My wife has an old phone contract which is coming to an end and Ive secured a deal as part of another tech purchase. We are therefore needing to replace the SIM.

My phones have always been Samsung so I have no idea about iphones.

She doesn't need to wipe the phone, just replace the card so I presume all apps and credentials will be safe. What she's concerned about are contacts and other stuff stored on the SIM. 

Is there a simple way of checking and ensuring nothing gets lost during the process.

Thanks 

Post edited at 07:38
 Graeme G 30 May 2022
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

There shouldn’t be anything on the SIM.

With an iPhone all you do is switch on the new phone and place it next to your existing phone. It will automatically detect the new phone and ask if you want to set it up ie transfer everything over. Once that’s done you just reset the old phone and you’re good to go.

ianstevens 30 May 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

This. You also get enough free space on iCloud to back up most stuff automatically - so you restore the phone even if you lose it. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211228 for info.

MarkAstley 30 May 2022

If you are just replacing the SIM card, once the old one is out of the phone you're keeping and it's working, then cut the unwanted SIM up with a pair of kitchen scissors. 

Nothing getting extracted from it then

Mark

Thanjs for the messages. To be clear, its just the SIM which needs changing.

Graeme G 30 May 2022

Realised that after I’d posted. But everything above helps. With an iPhone it should just be the case of only replacing the SIM, then destroying the old one. Everything should stay on the phone. Although maybe check before you cut the old one up…….

If I understand correctly, it’s her iphone already and all you are doing is putting a new sim in it for the new contract?

Normally just remove old sim and insert the new one. I’ve done this a few times with no problems. Make sure that she has accessed her voicemails prior to the change/old sim disconnected as that maybe lost even with the same network provider.

If the old sim was only used on an iPhone, the SIM card will not normally* have anything added to it as Apple don’t allow that. You can take off (import) contacts from a SIM card previously used in another phone though if the old sim ever had contacts added previous to the iphone use.

* assumes it was never jailbroken.

As others have said cut up the old SIM card after it’s disconnected from the network. 

BTW If you are unsure if there are contacts on the old sim and want to be safe use the iPhone import sim contacts under settings/contacts before removing the sim (make sure that the iphone has been backed up previously just in case something goes wrong).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...