UKC

Name that hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ben b 31 May 2022

The trailer for yet another Disney Star Wars spinoff has been released, this one being Andor - the back story of the (eventually incinerated) proto-rebel played by Diego Garcia in Rogue One. So the big question is: anyone recognise where the hills at 1:10 in the trailer might be? Looks west coast Scottish to me, but open to offers!

youtube.com/watch?v=tcaTq42unaI&

cheers

b

CantClimbTom 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andor_(TV_series)

Well you need to recognise it from a list

• Pinewood
  • Little Marlow (Buckinghamshire)
  • Coryton Refinery (Essex)
  • Clevelys (Lancashire)
  • Winspit (Dorset)
  • Black Park (Buckinghamshire)
  • Glen Tilt (Perthshire)
  • Oban & Cruachan Dam
  • Middle Peak Quarry (Derbyshire)

So you decide... Glen Tilt or surrounding Oban?

OP ben b 31 May 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

That's cheating, shurely?

Doesn't look like Cruachan reservoir to me....

b

OP ben b 31 May 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

You'd think the Rebels would cover their tracks a bit better than having their whereabouts posted on wikipedia? That would have made the Empire Strikes Back a very short film indeed....

b

DaveHK 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

I've noticed that films sometimes use flipped images of scenery so here's a version I flipped round in case that helps anyone recognise it. Can't quite place it myself. Looks a bit like Slioch in the flipped image but it's not quite right.

Post edited at 06:54

Graeme G 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

> That's cheating, shurely?

Isn’t that what the internet is for?

> Doesn't look like Cruachan reservoir to me....

Me neither. But it’s the internet, it must be correct?

Post edited at 07:31
 DaveHK 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

Meall a' Ghiuthais is another possibility in the same area.

Edit: again, not quite right.

Post edited at 07:11
 Bottom Clinger 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

If it’s Glen Tilt, the only possible stretch of water is Loch Loch. On the photo, the escarpment is an obvious feature, so it could be shot from WNW of the Loch looking South West. Problem is, I can’t place the small loch above the escarpment. 

Moacs 31 May 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

The small loch may not exist.

Can confirm, regretfully, that this isn't Buckinghamshire

In reply to Moacs:

Having looked at some piccies, it’s not Loch Loch. 

TheWildHaggis 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

Cruchan Dam Area, at Loch Awe,  It was filmed last summer.  I was staying at Loch Awe holiday park at the time, and was well advertised in the local area that a big budget film was being shot. Lots of HGV's with "Movie Makers" written on the side up a the dam and large event type tents. I took my daughter for a walk upto the Cruchan Dam  which has been transformed into a a set.   

The image above of the characters over looking the water, would be Loch Awe looking towards the Pass of Brander

I do have some pictures of the area (not taken the day we went to the Dam) but taken from across Loch Awe, using a 600mm lens. 

Edit: Quick Goole search https://www.jedinews.com/film-music-tv/articles/star-wars-andor-films-at-cr...

Post edited at 08:13
 squarepeg 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

Harry. 

In reply to TheWildHaggis:

Initially I thought similar, but I can’t work out those large hills. The escarpment fits, as does the lochan, but in reality * the land to the west and north of the lochan is relatively flattish, but those are big peaks in the photo. 

* I know, it’s sci fi…

CantClimbTom 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

As well as trying to match the geography, you need to bear in mind they require a road or very good track for all the vehicles, hospitality trailers, generators, Lorries with loaders/cranes for bits of set, etc, etc you see during outdoor filming.

It's a bit like a travelling circus.

What you get onscreen will be patched together from scenery in the area, so big hills in the background might be nearby hills but not necessarily ones you expect from the "real" view. Got to be Cruachan area

Post edited at 09:46

> What you get onscreen will be patched together from scenery in the area, so big hills in the background might be nearby hills but not necessarily ones you expect from the "real" view. Got to be Cruachan area

Agree. Looks like Ben Lui (or similar) photoshopped into view (right of centre).  

OP ben b 31 May 2022

I guess the small lichen may be a CGI addition. 

b

OP ben b 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

Lochan, damn you autocorrect!

b

kinley2 31 May 2022
In reply to ben b:

I think it's looking across the Pass of Brander from somewhere near the dam access road on the downslopes of Beinn a Bhuiridh. The little body of water would be Lochan na Cuaig.

Suspect they have pasted in the hills as a background. Snip from Google Earth:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52112657483_588bb8389e_o_d.jpg

In reply to ben b:

> I guess the small lichen may be a CGI addition. 

Too big for a lichen, more of a funcgi. 

Algae ‘n get mi coat!  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...