UKC

Instructor/coach/guide for psychological problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gordonbp 01 Jun 2022

Hi,

I may have asked this before but can't find my post if I did!

I have a psychological fear of slipping, and would like to find an instructor/coach/guide who might be able to help me with this.

Any recommendations will be eagerly followed up....

Morty 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

Hypnotherapist?

OP Gordonbp 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Morty:

Morty 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

Or you could try falling in a safe environment so that you get used to falling off.  Obviously this has its drawbacks if you are climbing outside and you aren't confident about your gear placements. 

broken spectre 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

I can't help directly with the request but a CBT thought experiment could help you to work through the problem (I'm a big fan of DIY quackery) ie:

"I'm afraid of slipping here" >> fight/flight response kicks in >> your body releases adrenaline >> your legs shake in response causing you possibly to slip >> thus heightening your fear of slipping... REPEAT.

It's a Catch-22, a self perpetuating vortex where you're literally thinking yourself off the cliff.

The only link in the chain that can be broken is your own perception of the situation. Acknowledge to yourself "I'm feeling anxious but this is natural" and focus on the moves.

A hefty disclaimer is eminently appropriate now: As the the following could then transpire:

"I'm afraid of slipping here" >> You acknowledge to yourself that this is a natural response which causes your sympathetic nervous system to quieten down >> you successfully commit to the moves >> you're now more committed to the route and in greater physical peril...

Another Catch-22!

Good luck.

abr1966 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

Best evidence for something like this would come from a DIY CBT approach to begin with.

When you say a fear of slipping do you mean things like walking to the shop or on a big snow slope? 

jezb1 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

There’s not many coaches I’d recommend for this, but this company is at the top of the list:

https://smartclimbing.co.uk/

Iamgregp 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

Hazel Findlay. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...