UKC

Motorcycle training/license for Kalymnos?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 10 Jun 2022

I’ve never been a biker and no intention of starting now in my 60s. But with tighter legislation and the crap scooter I had last time compared to my other half who has a license I’m wondering if it’s worth investing a little time and cash in getting a basic motorcycle license to make things easier in Kaly

Dog Dave 10 Jun 2022
In reply to kevin stephens:

Unless you are doing it out there is probably more than a little time and money. You are looking at a theory test plus an off road manoeuvres test plus a main test with the tuition to get you through the two practicals. Cost me over £600 and that was fifteen years ago so I’d guess about a grand now by time you are done in the UK.

that said it’s a life skill and will make you a much better and safer road user on/in any other vehicle but it might be a bit much if you are only going to use it for a fortnight holiday.

or you might find you get bitten by the bug anyway and want something for here as well. Even at todays prices it’s just over £20 to fill up a bike so it’s becoming a very cost efficient way of getting about.

If you passed your test back in the midsts of time, you should have AM on your licence which should cover you for a 50cc scooter. All you need and the most fun of the lot, wringing the neck of an angry wasp.

In reply to Presley Whippet: yes I’m old and that’s what I had last time. Two speeds: stop and go. I just wandered what I’d need to get an upgrade, Dog Dave has saved me from a world where I may get sucked into buying something fast, expensive and dangerous 

What I do not know is whether having a CBT would give any advantage. Would this open the door to a 125?

Some Kaly hirers will give you a 125 on just AM others won't. Some will hire you a scooter without a licence, others won't. 

My view is if a hirer is lax on regulation they are likely to be lax on safety and servicing and you are more likely to have a problem. 

LastBoyScout 10 Jun 2022

Doing your CBT would give you a decent basic grounding in how to ride - it's a day and costs ~£100.

Unfortunately, it also only lasts 2 years and doesn't add anything meaningful to your licence* - it does give you a certificate to wave on Kaly, but probably meaningless to any of the hire places unless run by an ex-pat Brit.

* you'd need to get a provisional motorbike added first, if you haven't already got it.

AlanLittle 10 Jun 2022

Frankly I wouldn't bother. I have a full bike license. although I haven't ridden an actual motorbike for years, and have rented 125's on Kalymnos a couple of times.

Last year I was there with my 18yo son who doesn't have a bike license - and never will as long as his mother has any say in the matter - so in fairness to him I also rented a 50.

My conclusion: unless you're riding two up, a fifty is plenty for Kalymnos roads. You can absolutely thrash it to its limits (not that I would, ahem) and it doesn't go fast enough to be scary. A 125 does.

Martin Bennett 11 Jun 2022

Just get a little car Kevin. That's what me and D'Ale did last year. Far more comfortable and less dangerous. After my disastrous crash on THAT bend a few years ago which cost me €€€€€ in repairs to the bike, vast rips in my favourite jacket, minor blood loss, massive embarrassment and a camera which I'd left at roadside in all the kerfuffle and some a***hole took and didn't hand in, I'm not having the discomfort of a scooter again.

Post edited at 11:00
 Phil S Morris 11 Jun 2022

On my license, bearing in mind I'm not much older than you, I'm covered for category A. According to the gov. website that is up to 125cc. In Britain you'd have to put L plates on but in Kalymnos who knows?. Enjoy but take care!

Babika 11 Jun 2022
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I agree.

Happy not to pretend to look cool for the benefit of a hire car on the dockside when you get off the ferry and you can leave it back there. 

I crashed a moped in Greece years ago (proper one with a clutch etc) and it put me off for life.

As long as you have the bike designation on your licence (I passed my test in 2003 and I have it), you can hire a 125 in Kaly, which is plenty and much better than a 50cc on the hills!

Iamgregp 11 Jun 2022

Kasteli corner…

Met a guy out there one year who races dirt bikes as his other hobby, rides a motorcycle every day. Lost it on Kasteli corner.  Made a right mess of himself…

John Ww 11 Jun 2022

It’s not much fun on a quad either, believe me 😱! I only ended up with that death trap because despite having had a full bike license for 30 years, I only had an old green paper license, which they wouldn’t accept as proof. 

LastBoyScout 12 Jun 2022

Reminds me of the time in Koh Samui when I asked our rep about hiring mopeds - she went white as a sheet and asked us not to hire one, as the roads were so dangerous if you didn't understand the traffic. Turns out a German girl had crashed one on a busy junction the week before wearing little more than a bikini and had left rather a lot of skin behind!

Once did a tour of Zante on a quad bike, though - that was fun

John Ww 13 Jun 2022

Haha, I dropped  a Yamaha DT125 trailie in Zante - the roads were so smooth I had friction burns rather than gravel rash! Shrug of the shoulders from the rental place, new clutch lever, and a few elastoplasts later, good as new 😂👍

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...