UKC

Bird ID quiz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 13 Jun 2022

Here you go. 

wiwwim 13 Jun 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Wigeon

Goosander

Canada geese

(?)

In reply to wiwwim:

One out of three. Room for improvement

Bulls Crack 13 Jun 2022

Apologies for the post hijack and poor photo but a friend saw this bird  above Malham 2 days ago. Glided in bird of prey style but appears to have a heavy beak and looks pale. 

jonny taylor 13 Jun 2022
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I’m not even sure where in that photo the bird is supposed to be, but… short eared owl?

Bulls Crack 13 Jun 2022
In reply to jonny taylor:

Sorry! Top left of the wire parallelogram just left of centre.

Looks like a roc to me...aha 

In reply to jonny taylor:

Think it must be the blob plum centre in this cropped image. 

V hard to tell, and what May look like a large beak I think is a patch of dark grass, but possible short eared owl (maybe not brown enough?) or male hen harrier (but not grey enough?). Or an escapee. 

Michael Hood 13 Jun 2022

Ducklings - Gadwall

Middle photo - Eider

Goslings - think I agree with the Canada Geese

Post edited at 21:49
In reply to Michael Hood:

Most excellent!  

Michael Hood 13 Jun 2022

I have my copy of the AA Readers Digest Book of British Birds (1st published in 1969 - some of the info may be out of date but the main illustrations are still stunning). Pages 374-377 have some lovely illustrations of various chicks & ducklings. I'd always wondered how accurate these were, they only confirmed the Eider (already knew that one) but gave me the Gadwall - I guessed they weren't "merely" Mallards since that was also a possibility.

I must have been very close to some Red Grouse chicks in the Lakes the other day judging by both parent birds doing the fluttering "oh look at me I'm struggling to get away" thing - but no sign of them - they know how to stay still & quiet.

Some wader chicks next please to further test the book (or game birds, or gulls, or terns).

Post edited at 22:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...