UKC

Bird round up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 13 Jun 2022

Saw 115 species over the last week and a bit. Some highlights being the puffins, terns and everything else on the Isle of May, seeing seven types of gull. Stunning views of stonechats and sedge warblers. Seeing massive amounts of young birds, a young blackcap was really nice. Long range views of red throated diver and good views of Manx shearwaters. Oddities where seeing two whopper swans in what felt like a hot summers day and seeing a pink footed goose (injured wing so couldn’t keep up with its mates  

Willow warbler with beak fill of grubs and avocet nest. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Rock pipit

Another stonechat and Canada geese. 

Michael Hood 13 Jun 2022

> two whopper swans

Huge they were, absolutely huge 😁

The goosanderlings (3+1) on the bit of the Irwell I regularly have a look at are growing nicely, about 3/4 full size now. I didn't realise that male goosanders lost their breeding plumage (i.e. green heads) so early.

The Canada Geese goslings are bigger than duck size now, there was a "nursery" of about 20 today, on the path with parents hissing at you as you went past/through. A couple of people decided not to take their dogs (on a lead) through - good decision.

Nice piccies, as usual.

Post edited at 21:37
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Huge they were, absolutely huge 😁

Given my 100% spelling error,  it would be easier for me to actually try and get a formal name change for them. Maybe get Burger King to sponsor them.

Dave the Rave 13 Jun 2022

Female Peregrine flew past my tent twice last week, camped at 2800ft by a Lochan near Glenshee. Also 3 pairs of Curlew on the 6 mile walk out to the car.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...