UKC

Petzl Rig 'PPE Inspection' - How much play?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all, 

I was going through Petzl's recommended PPE inspection for a pre-2018 petzl rig I got used. 

My only concern is the side panel and the rivet it pivots on have fair amount of play. Wondering if anyone can tell me how normal that is? It doesn't pass over the head of the main cam's post, which would be petzl's failure criteria, but wondering if that's a sign it's on its way out? 

Follow-up question; the friction plate opposite the cam has a slight scoop in it. Not sure if from manufacture or wear. Not too worried about it, but thought I'd offer it for comment!

Cheers,

Tom

Lizard Ollie 24 Jun 2022
In reply to TomClimbsSafely?:

Hi Tom,

The rig does normally have a bit of movement in the faceplate, even from new. You just want to make sure it’s not enough that there’s any chance the plate could slide over and miss the carabiner, as well as making sure it engages with the pin like you say. 

Not entirely sure which part of the plate you’re referencing with regards to the wear, but it’s common for the lip of the faceplate to have some wear from the slack rope running over it as it goes into the device. If this wear does become significant it’s probably time to retire. The other spot that can get worn is in between the faceplate and the back part on the inside on the other side of the cam. I can’t remember when petzl made the change but newer models of the rig have a groove pre installed here as the device is now rated to run the slack rope over this part. Previously this wasn’t the case I don’t think.

Another area to check is the pin on the inside of the device below the cam as this, especially on the newer models, wears very quickly. 

Hope that helps,

Ollie

In reply to Lizard Ollie:

Hi Ollie,

Thanks for excellent reply, great man. 

I've checked spots you mentioned. Including bit 'on otherside' I hadn't spotted where the cam rotates and rubs on the underside. I think that's what you meant, either way, good tip, will keep an eye on that. 

Its a 2016 model, does indeed have a machined groove for the slack rope. 

For anyone's curiosity, and my mutual reassurance, whilst the device is missing lots of colour (and judging by the muc I cleaned out it has been dragged through some dark/damp places) there's no wear identifiable at the touch, nor anything worryingly sharp or perilously thin. So I'd be happy to use it for light duties backed up with ascender/fall arrest/clove hitch as I intended. 

HOWEVER, whilst I paid less than half RRP I suspect it has much less than half its reasonable life left. Moral of story; used gear can be a false economy!

Think I'll stick with open-box/ unused stuff on eBay in future! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...